Special Operations Guard/Reserve Units-training

Jay

FISTer
Verified Military
I remember seeing somewhere on the forum that these units train significantly more often than AD units, and rightfully so. The consistent training is welcomed because obviously I want to stay sharp and on my game. My question is will I be able to carry on my day to day job? I'm looking at moving to the Nashville or Lexington area to be a Fire Fighter/EMT, but I am seriously considering enlisting in the ANG as a PJ or CCT out of the 123rd STS. I understand that the only way I can really get that answer is to speak to someone directly, but what is everyone's experiences in the Guard or Reserves? After graduating and reporting to your unit, will you be able to hold a job such as police/fire fighter/paramedic/life flight etc..or would it be smarter to go active duty(from a financial stability standpoint) or Active-Guard? I only ask because I am a little older, soon to be married and wanting to work Fire/Rescue in my community as well as serve in the military. I am simply weighing my options and trying to educate myself to make the best decision for my future family.

Thank you for any input or advice. Also, I want to thank ALL OF YOU for fighting for all us! You are remembered every single day for allowing all of us to live freely, but most of all today..Thank You!

Some of my info is dated, but here is what I have:
The 123rd requires it's members to live within a 300miles.
Requirement and available man-days change, but you could easily do 90-120 days per year, not counting deployments.
Your initial training could take 2-3 years to accomplish, the price of entry is high, and never lowers.
You have to be willing to do more then a weekend/ 2 weeks per year.
http://www.specialtactics.com is probably your best bet on Special Tactics training. FWIW- The 123rd also has SOWT positions, you should look at all three.
Good luck.

A little ahead of yourself there aren't you buddy? What is the washout ate of CCTs and PJ?

Some of my info is dated, but here is what I have:
The 123rd requires it's members to live within a 300miles.
Requirement and available man-days change, but you could easily do 90-120 days per year, not counting deployments.
Your initial training could take 2-3 years to accomplish, the price of entry is high, and never lowers.
You have to be willing to do more then a weekend/ 2 weeks per year.
http://www.specialtactics.com is probably your best bet on Special Tactics training. FWIW- The 123rd also has SOWT positions, you should look at all three.
Good luck.

Thank you Sir. I've read up on SOWT, I like that they go through the same school as CCT's, just not sure if weather is something I want to do. I'll definitely keep it in consideration. I just flew back to Destin from Atlanta and sat next to a Lt. Col out of the Pentagon that was/is a Infantry Marine. He more than anything pushed to go AD just from a day in day out training aspect if I weren't to go SOF. Definitely have a lot to consider.

I am not a PJ/CCT, but I would say pick something and stick with it until you are established. Then if you feel you want to do a little more or something different, go from there. Fire/EMS is great, or being a PJ would be great, trying to be both starting from scratch would probably be harder than hell. Maybe do the PJ (ANG) thing, and use those skills the ANG paid for to help you get a job as a Fire/Paramedic.

Good luck!

A little ahead of yourself there aren't you buddy? What is the washout ate of CCTs and PJ?

I understand washout rate for PJ is in the 80-90% range and CCT is around there as well. Washout is the last thing that is on my mind, while I may be looking at high attrition rate schools I want to make sure it's the right job for me and what I want to do. Regardless of how hard or how easy it may be, if it's a career field that I feel I can contribute then I want a shot at it. I'm just looking to get the most information possible at this time to make the best decision possible for me.

I am not a PJ/CCT, but I would say pick something and stick with it until you are established. Then if you feel you want to do a little more or something different, go from there. Fire/EMS is great, or being a PJ would be great, trying to be both starting from scratch would probably be harder than hell. Maybe do the PJ (ANG) thing, and use those skills the ANG paid for to help you get a job as a Fire/Paramedic.

Good luck!

Thanks! I think you're right, I just need to focus on one thing at a time and keep that 25m target in my sights, which right now is finishing my Paramedic and deciding on the right job for me. The rest will come. Thanks again!

Thank you Sir. I've read up on SOWT, I like that they go through the same school as CCT's, just not sure if weather is something I want to do. I'll definitely keep it in consideration. I just flew back to Destin from Atlanta and sat next to a Lt. Col out of the Pentagon that was/is a Infantry Marine. He more than anything pushed to go AD just from a day in day out training aspect if I weren't to go SOF. Definitely have a lot to consider.
Just remember CCT= Air Traffic Control School before cool guy shit.

Back