Spetsnaz in Besland pics

Lyle

Unverified
1128.jpg

SEPTEMBER 02, 2004/ SPECIAL FORCES WERE IMMEDIATELY DRAWN UP AND BEGAN TO EXAMINE SITUATION. AS SHELL-SHOCKED REGULAR ARMY SOLDIER HIDES BEHIND SAFE, SPECIAL FORCES SNIPER TRYING TO LOCATE TERRORISTS' POSITIONS.

839.jpg

SEPTEMBER 02, 2004/ SPECIAL FORCES WERE IMMEDIATELY DRAWN UP AND STARTED PREPARE FOR ASSAULT OPERATION. THEY HAVE OCCUPIED NEARBY APARTMENT BLOCKS AND OFFICES. HERE FIGHTER FROM INTERIOR MINISTRY SPETSNAZ (SPECIAL FORCES) UNIT PREPARES AMMUNITION FOR ASSAULT.

840.jpg

NIGHT SEPTEMBER 02-SEPTEMBER 03, 2004/ SPETSNAZ FIGHTERS JUST HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THEY'RE "NO LONGER IN RESERVE" AND ORDERED TO FORM THE ASSAULT GROUP. HERE CAPTAIN "YERYOMA", ASSAULT GROUP COMMANDER FROM INTERIOR MINISTRY SPECIAL FORCES UNIT INSTRUCTING HIS FIGHTERS BEFORE THE STORM.

829.jpg

NIGHT SEPTEMBER 02-SEPTEMBER 03, 2004/ RUSSIAN SF FIGHTERS FROM INTERIOR MINISTRY SPETSNAZ UNIT MAKE LAST PREPARATIONS BEFORE ASSAULT.

841.jpg

SEPTEMBER 03, 2004/ SPETSNAZ FIGHTERS HAVE OCCUPIED ALL APARTMENT BLOCKS AND OFFICES NEARBY SCHOOL. TERRORISTS REGULARLY DISTURBED SF MEN WITH FIRE FROM SNIPER RIFLES AND RPG-LAUNCHERS. HERE SF OFFICER DODGING BULLETS.

834.jpg

SEPTEMBER 03, 2004/ SNIPER OF "ALFA" GROUP FIRES AT TERRORISTS, WHICH OPENED FIRE AT ESCAPING HOSTAGES.

836.jpg

SEPTEMBER 03, 2004/ SPOTTER ORIENTS FIGHTER OF "ALFA" GROUP DURING BATTLE.

835.jpg

SEPTEMBER 03, 2004/ SPOTTER ORIENTS FIGHTER OF "ALFA" GROUP DURING BATTLE. FOTO TAKEN: SEPTEMBER 03, 2004, BESLAN, RUSSIAN FEDERATION.

837.jpg

SEPTEMBER 03, 2004/ FIGHTERS OF "VYMPEL" TEAM REGROUP UNDER TERRORISTS'FIRE SECONDS BEFORE ASSAULT.

www.dimapics.com

Thanks for posting the pictures, Choose. I just finished Terror At Beslan by John Giduck, and on Friday HBO ran their documentary "The Children of Beslan". The men of the Speznaz acted with incredible bravery during that barbaric attack, with the operators placing themselves between the terrorists and the fleeing children to protect them during ending firefight.

Anyone who works in a school in this country should take serious note of what happened at School #1 in September 2004...

Excellent photos! Thank you for sharing these!

I have two small children- one of them is 8 years old, and the other is 6.

Every time I am reminded about the massacre of these children in Beslan, I instantly think of my own children. To know that -but for the grace of God- these could have been my own children, it really causes me to grieve for those who have had so much taken from them. The agony of losing a child must be absolutely unbearable, and seems to be something a parent never really recovers from completely. Even after many years, they seem to have trouble ever really moving on. No parent should ever have to outlive their children. To have them taken in such a senseless, violent, terrifying way makes it even more difficult.

Those men who tried to protect and save as many children as possible deserve so much credit. I too have also read that they tried to get between the terrorists and the children on more than one instance. It is a credit to their unit, and to their character. I hope they are successful in wiping out the remains of terrorists like this in the long run.

Found it on mp.net some time ago , looks like quote form some official web page....in Russian and English

Герой России майор Александр Перов ("Альфа") руководил одной из штурмовых групп. В ходе боя уничтожил одного из четырех террористов, которые вели огонь по помещению, где находились около 150 заложников. Перов лично прикрыл эвакуацию детей из школьной комнаты. Упреждая разрыв гранаты, офицер накрыл собой троих заложников. Даже получив смертельные ранения, Александр продолжал какое-то время руководить действиями своей группы.

Hero of Russian Federation, Major Alexander Perov (Alpha) was the leader of one of the assault groups. In the fighting, he eliminated one of the terrorists whom were firing into the area with more then 150 hostages. Perov personally covered the evacuation of the children from the room. The officer received mortal wounds while covering three hostages ahead of the exploding grenade. Even having received the wounds, Alexander continued to give orders for some time.

Герой России подполковник Дмитрий Разумовский ("Вымпел") также руководил одной из штурмовых групп, на подступах к зданию школы уничтожил двух террористов. Выявил новую огневую точку и, отвлекая внимание на себя, первым ворвался в помещение, из которого басаевцы вели огонь по убегающим детям. Дмитрий получил смертельные ранения, спасая заложников и прикрывая своих товарищей.

Hero of Russian Federation, Lt.Col Dmitri Razumovski (Vympel) also led one of the Sturm groups and at the approaches to the school eliminated two terrorists. Having found a firing point, he diverted attention on himself and was first to burst into the room, from which Basayev's men were shooting at fleeing children. Dmitri received mortal wounds, saving teh hostages and protecting his comrades.

Герой России подполковник Олег Ильин ("Вымпел") одним из первых вступил в бой с пытавшимися прорваться из школы бандитами, уничтожил двух террористов в упор и пресек попытки других скрыться. Ильин прикрыл бегущих детей и раненого сотрудника МЧС, отвлек внимание басаевцев на себя. Получив осколочное ранение, не вышел из боя, встретил террористов, которые предприняли новую попытку уйти из школы. Двух уничтожил в упор. Ценой своей жизни спас сотрудников штурмовой группы и обеспечил уничтожение остальных бандитов.

Hero of the Russian Federation, Oleg Ilyin (Vympel) was one of the first to come in contact with the bandits attempting to leave the school, killing two terrorists from point blank range and preventing the attempts of others to escape. Ilyin was covering the retreat of the fleeing children and a wounded member of the Police, taking the attention of the terrorists on himself. Having received a shrapnel wound he stayed in action, meeting the terrorists making another attempt to break out. He killed two. With the price of his life, he saved lives of the members of his group and aided in elimination of the rest of the group.

Герой России лейтенант Андрей Туркин ("Вымпел") уничтожил террориста при входе в здание и дал возможность штурмовой группе развернуться в помещении, где находились около 250 заложников. Сам Андрей накрыл своим телом гранату, брошенную террористом в скопление людей.

Hero of the Russian Federation, Andrei Turkin (Vympel) eliminated a terrorist in the entry to the Auditorium and fascilitated the entry for the rest of the group into the auditorium, which contained 250 hostages. Andrei covered a grenade thrown by a terrorist into a group of hostages with his own body.

Майор Вячеслав Маляров ("Альфа"), действуя внутри здания, перекрыл собой направление обстрела, который велся четырьмя бандитами по помещению с заложниками. Получив смертельное ранение, Вячеслав продолжал вести бой, ранил двух террористов и заставил их отступить.

Major Vecheslav Malyarov (Alpha), in action within the building, blocked the line of fire to the group of four terrorists, firing on the room with hostages. Receiving mortal wounds, Vecheslav continued the battle, wounded two terrorists and forced them to retreat.

Прапорщик Олег Лоськов ("Альфа") в составе штурмовой группы столкнулся с четырьмя бандитами, пытавшимися под прикрытием заложников вырваться из здания школы. Ранил одного из террористов и, заслонив собой заложников, преградил бандитам путь к бегству. Получив смертельное ранение, Олег продолжал поддерживать действия штурмовой группы огнем.

Corporal Oleg Loskov (Alpha) as part of the storm group discovered four terrorists in attempt to leave the school under the cover of hostages. Having wounded one of the terrorist and covering the hostages with his body he blocked the bandits way to escape. Having received mortal wounds, he continued to support the storm group with fire.

Майор Андрей Велько ("Вымпел") в составе передовой штурмовой группы вошел в здание школы. Уничтожил одного из басаевцев и обеспечил действия группы. Затем вступил в огневой контакт с другим внезапно появившимся террористом и уничтожил его. Офицер получил множественные смертельные ранения, прикрывая заложников.

Major Andrei Velko (Vympel) as part of the forward storm group approached the entrance to the school. Eliminated one of the terrorists and aided in actions of the group. Entered in contact with another suddenly appearing terrorist and eliminated him. The officer received many mortal wounds, while covering the hostages

Майор Роман Катасонов ("Вымпел") в ходе штурма проник здание и уничтожил двух террористов. В одном из помещений обнаружил двоих спрятавшихся детей. Спасая их и прикрывая собой сотрудников штурмовой группы, Роман вступил в бой с пулеметным расчетом басаевцев и получил смертельное ранение.

Major Roman Katasonov (Vympel) during the assault gained access into the building and eliminated two terrorists. In one room, he found two cowering children. Saving them and covering his colleagues, he entered into battle with MG team of the terrorists and received a mortal wound.

Майор Михаил Кузнецов ("Вымпел") во время проведения спецоперации эвакуировал более 20 раненых заложников, в основном детей. Прикрывая группу захвата, Михаил вступил в бой с двумя террористами и, уничтожив их, погиб.

Major Mihail Kuznezov (Vympel) in the process of the operation, evacuated more then 20 wounded hostages , mostly children. Covering the snatch team, Mihail entered into battle with 2 terrorists and having killed them, died.

Прапорщик Денис Пудовкин ("Вымпел") уничтожил одного из бандитов, стрелявшего по детям. Под обстрелом выносил раненых школьников. Получив осколочное ранение, продолжал спасать людей. В составе штурмовой группы вошел в здание. При оказании помощи заложникам Денис вступил в бой с неожиданно появившимся басаевцем. Прикрывая собой женщину, уничтожил террориста, но сам погиб.

Corporal Dennis Pudovkin (Vympel) eliminated one of the terrorists, whom was shooting at the children. Under fire, he was carrying away wounded children. Having received shrapnel wound, continued to give aid to the hostages. During the aid to one of the hostages, he came into contact with suddenly appearing terrorist. Blocking a woman hostage with his body, killed the terrorist but died in the process

Thanks for posting the information, Robal. When I get home today I will look back at Giduck's description of the attack to see if he makes mention of the actions of these men. I cannot remember off the top of my head...

Good pics Choose.

Although it should not go unmentioned how many convention rules different Spetznas groups has broken.

The list is long.

What exactly do You mean? Beslan, or Soviet/Russian operations generally?

Robal2pl

Not neccesarily Beslan, no.
I don`t have anything special to pull out here, but i first read about the "Spetsnaz" operations in afghanistan when the Soviets deployed forces there in 1978.
Spetsnaz recon patrols were sent out to different villages back then, and were referred to by the locals as "Deathsquads" or something similar.

Psy/Reconops where basically soviet special forces teams could go into a village and only execute the kids(or something else very horrible) in that exact village, just to scare the hell out of innocent afghans and give them the impression that the Soviet forces would stop at nothing. And by that also spreading the rumour on.

In soviet/russian operations after the soviet-afghan war where different Spetsnaz groups has been involved, there has been lots of conflicts even internally in Russia, where the Spetsnaz has been accused of very "un-human" acts against civillians etc. The Spetsnaz answer directly to the russian Federal Security Service and GRU wich for many years has had different spetsnaz groups at their disposal.

I guess the rumors here are way bigger than what is actually confirmed, but there is without a doubt truth in many of these accusations.

Yes, Soviet/Russian soldiers/security services commited many crimes in wars , in Poland too.
Btw, not always unit named "special purspose" in Russia mean SOF/CT/SWAT so the Spetsnaz was not the only responsible i think, especially it always was small , in compare to other units (2 Brigades from GRU) and had many other missions (including hunting for Stinger missles and western advisors).
But when it comes to Chechenya, those things look like a coin - they have two sides, and many people here forget about it - they don't like Russia so much that they are unable to see full image and especially Chechens were portrayed in Poland as heros...that sometimes pises me off...

Not neccesarily Beslan, no.
I don`t have anything special to pull out here, but i first read about the "Spetsnaz" operations in afghanistan when the Soviets deployed forces there in 1978.
Spetsnaz recon patrols were sent out to different villages back then, and were referred to by the locals as "Deathsquads" or something similar.

Psy/Reconops where basically soviet special forces teams could go into a village and only execute the kids(or something else very horrible) in that exact village, just to scare the hell out of innocent afghans and give them the impression that the Soviet forces would stop at nothing. And by that also spreading the rumour on.

In soviet/russian operations after the soviet-afghan war where different Spetsnaz groups has been involved, there has been lots of conflicts even internally in Russia, where the Spetsnaz has been accused of very "un-human" acts against civillians etc. The Spetsnaz answer directly to the russian Federal Security Service and GRU wich for many years has had different spetsnaz groups at their disposal.

I guess the rumors here are way bigger than what is actually confirmed, but there is without a doubt truth in many of these accusations.

I think that is mostly BS. Alot of it comes from peoples' biases that Russians/Soviets are "mean" and "evil."

But when it comes to Chechenya, those things look like a coin - they have two sides, and many people here forget about it -

About that coin point (and chechenya), I couldnt have said it better myself Robal.

--Choose. As I said, in every situation there will always be bs and facts.
Some things are actually confirmed and some things will forever stay unknown.
But In comparison to Russian SF/Armed Forces, Western Forces are choirboys when it comes to "giving a shit about collateral damage"

I actually managed to read myself to a bachelor degree in War History and International Politics and Security besides my military "career" lol, so I know a bit about it.

In every "poor", "unorganized", "conflict-full" country, there will be more: Crime, Conflict, Conspiracy and Corruption.
That is the way it has been for a thousand years and that is the way its gonna be for the next thousand years. It never fails.

Choose, there may be plenty of left-over bias from the Cold War, but that is on both sides of the fence. Russia dishes out tons of crank about the USA every day. Vladimir Putin himself will use the USA in a negative way to boost his popularity. That's nothing new. It almost seems that superpowers need each other in order to stay stable- a kind of tension.

What is for sure is that Spetznaz has a ruthless reputation- and they seem to want it that way. In some ways I agree with (certain aspects of) their philosophy. That is, if Spetznaz shows up, somebody is going to get crushed. In this way, people are discouraged from going up against them. You never see Spetznaz handing out aid packets, or carrying little snot-nosed kids around, like the Marines do in Haiti. That might be a touchy subject for some, but, hey, that's another topic for another thread.

I posted in another thread about Spetznaz, and how their method of removing a person from a vehicle does not involve opening the door, or opening the window. They smash the rear window of the vehicle with a sledgehammer. I've seen a video of it. Their methods are not necessarily designed to be surgical. This is just my observation, but from the accounts I've read, and the few videos I've seen, the Spetznaz historically have seemed to put much more emphasis on 100% mission accomplishment as the driving force. Whatever the tactic is needed to GUARANTEE SUCCESS, with the highest probability, that is the tactic that goes on the top of the list of options. After that, other concerns come second... including casualties, and public opinion.

I have mixed thoughts about this. (Excuse the grammar, as there's a key broken on my keyboard.)First, terrorism defeats itsef as the perpetrators think of more extreme acts to commit. This one was conceived in advance. The ones who can or may support a group become disgusted the more radica the methods and atrocities become. To wit, witness what has happened in Iraq recenty with a mass defection of AQ.
Second, at Besan there were peope, from Besan, who became tired of waiting and armed themseves and started shooting. This brought the program foreward rather quicky. They shoud have been disarmed. This is not to detract from what was accompished, but it wasn't perfect.

Yes. they're many time ruthless, but I''m not surprised...the russian mafia and Chechens (and their supporters like jordanian terrorist Khattab are ruthless too.
But their CT units - mostly Alpha - have a lot of hostage situations solved with 0 or minimal "collateral damage", even in times of USSR. In 1983, in Tibilisi they saved 55 hostages from hijacked airliner. In 1986 they liberated another plane.

Civilians at Bieslan...it this region a weapon makes man , more than on full auto AK at evry home and it's man duty to protect family.
I don't think there was a way to disarm them or force to go back to homes...but they - according to my knowledge - waiting alongside police, military, spetsnaz etc, and when explosions started, they fought together to save children...

Robal2pl

John Giduck does an excellent job of detailing the time line of the terror attack at School #1 in Beslan, as well as putting to rest a number of myths which surround the incident. In the weeks following the attack Giduck used his contacts within the Russian military to conduct extensive interviews with the participants and eyewitnesses. This was a difficult task as there was at the time an active effort by the government to silence participants and witnesses in order to cleanse the collective memory of Russians...

Back