SS book exchange??

Devildoc

Verified Military
Referencing the reading thread (What Are You Currently Reading?), judging interest if anyone is interested in a book exchange or keep-and-pay-forward. I have been gifted with many books when I was down and out over the fall; many of these have been given to me, some I purchased. Some of these I will re-read, some not.

I read a ton of non-fiction, military history/history/biographies, a little itty bit of fiction. I have the following:

IMG_20220404_134657.jpg
IMG_20220404_134648.jpg
IMG_20220404_134629.jpg
IMG_20220404_134615.jpg
IMG_20220403_153927.jpg

I remember writing my book report for my Macroeconomics class on Sowell's Basic Economics. Enjoyed reading it a lot. I wrote the first draft of the report on notebook paper while on a trans pacific flight. Boy did my hand hurt at the time.

Referencing the reading thread (What Are You Currently Reading?), judging interest if anyone is interested in a book exchange or keep-and-pay-forward. I have been gifted with many books when I was down and out over the fall; many of these have been given to me, some I purchased. Some of these I will re-read, some not.

I read a ton of non-fiction, military history/history/biographies, a little itty bit of fiction. I have the following:
Ya know, that looks a lot like our house. Now that we are combining libraries we even have some duplicates. I think it's a great way to get rid of some. I need to update the inventory. Mean time, if someone wants/needs something, just ask. I will have a look.

I do almost exclusively audiobooks, or iPhone reading, unless somebody wants to read my anesthesia books, but they are heavy.

I don't know if it's a generational thing, I don't know if it's an attention span thing, or what, but I'm not sure I have ever finished any e-book, and the only audiobook I ever tried I ended up having to go back and listen because I wasn't paying attention. I tried to like them.

I read a lot of books on my phone, but there is nothing like having a physical book in your hand. To this day, I find great pleasure in sitting in libraries while thumbing through multitudes of books. The good life!

I don't know if it's a generational thing, I don't know if it's an attention span thing, or what, but I'm not sure I have ever finished any e-book, and the only audiobook I ever tried I ended up having to go back and listen because I wasn't paying attention. I tried to like them.

I spend a lot of time commuting to and from both school, and clinical sites, so books and podcasts are how I pass time. I also have to get into the OR around an hour to 90 mins before anyone else so I use that time to listen to books and have some goddamn peace and quiet.

I spend a lot of time commuting to and from both school, and clinical sites, so books and podcasts are how I pass time. I also have to get into the OR around an hour to 90 mins before anyone else so I use that time to listen to books and have some goddamn peace and quiet.

Over the winter I listened to the unabridged War and Peace read by Frederick Davidson. Some 60 hours but it really got me into audio books.
I don't want to derail the thread - and I hope I am not - but am I the only one that can have what seems to be a good audio book "seem" not-as-good if the narrator doesn't *fit* or otherwise narrate well. I have had books turn sour on me simply because I didn't like the way it was narrated.

I don't want to derail the thread - and I hope I am not - but am I the only one that can have what seems to be a good audio book "seem" not-as-good if the narrator doesn't *fit* or otherwise narrate well. I have had books turn sour on me simply because I didn't like the way it was narrated.
You're not alone - specifically I find that most sci-fi simply becomes impossible to enjoy in that form and I much prefer the printed form. Not all of my decisions fall along genre lines, but the sci-fi one is a pretty quick decision at this point. Interestingly one of the ones that kind of takes me out of the story are the Tolkein audiobooks. Yes, they're probably closer to how the author intended it to sound, but man... hearing characters who fall into a badass/menacing category (Aragorn, the Nazgul) voiced in a high, whiny, ultra-British voice really ruins the gravity of some of those conversations. On the flip side, the audio Wheel of Time series is really well done (IMO).

You're not alone - specifically I find that most sci-fi simply becomes impossible to enjoy in that form and I much prefer the printed form. Not all of my decisions fall along genre lines, but the sci-fi one is a pretty quick decision at this point. Interestingly one of the ones that kind of takes me out of the story are the Tolkein audiobooks. Yes, they're probably closer to how the author intended it to sound, but man... hearing characters who fall into a badass/menacing category (Aragorn, the Nazgul) voiced in a high, whiny, ultra-British voice really ruins the gravity of some of those conversations. On the flip side, the audio Wheel of Time series is really well done (IMO).

The Harry Potter books with Jim Dale reading are fucking great.

Yeah, I have thought about it and determined it's probably a 'me' thing. I am also that way listening to music in the car; invariably, I start thinking and not listening and before I know it I am 50 miles down the road and I haven't heard a thing.

The Harry Potter books with Jim Dale reading are fucking great.
Thanks. Thing 1 just started Sorcerer's Stone a few days ago and has already asked about audiobooks.
Yeah, I have thought about it and determined it's probably a 'me' thing. I am also that way listening to music in the car; invariably, I start thinking and not listening and before I know it I am 50 miles down the road and I haven't heard a thing.
There are definitely times I’ve had that happen. More often than not I can focus on and absorb the audio, but there are days when I just have to turn it off and come back.

I had to give up on this one because the guy had such a choppy monotone.

9781977332431.jpg

I like the idea and had a similar thought about an exchange a few weeks ago. I may not have quite as many to offer up but will take an inventory over the next couple days and offer up a few titles. Like @Devildoc, nearly everything I have falls into the non-fiction category.

Is there a possibility of this becoming a sticky so that it doesn’t go away and can readily be found. I think this is an excellent idea and could benefit us all for the time to come.

View attachment 39229
View attachment 39230
View attachment 39231
View attachment 39232
View attachment 39233
About face is a great book.

Coming back to this, as we started Return of the King I found that there was a second entry on Audible recorded around 2019 with Andy Serkis as the narrator. His connection to the movies aside, he's a fantastic narrator and his versions are far better than the original I was complaining about.

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Return-of-the-King-Audiobook/1705047599

Back