Stupidest Rules

Reflective belts.

Yea, what is the deal with reflective belts?? You know how they always make stupid rules cause some idiot f-ed up and ruined it for everyone, well I wonder who was responsible for making it manditory for everyone to wear the belts in the hours of darkness, or in y squadron's case all day long!

"Field Uniform" (helmet, LBV/IBA) that doesn't include carrying a weapon. Apparently for some units the carrying of assigned weapons isn't necessary for realistic training, only wearing a few pieces of kit to look like a good "hooah" field soldier.

you must wear your PC on post, and your beret off post. never made sense to me - how about, lets wear ONE headgear, all the time.

I know a young digger trying to bring back the #3 slouch hat as bush wear. Being a noob, he's getting some pretty effective resistance to the idea. Along the lines of, "Take that fucking thing off, you're not a fucking ANZAC and this isn't Gallipoli."

FUCK. you're right. what was I thinking - edit that to add "let's just where the PC everywhere..." or some shit.

:D

It used to be that way but General Shithead ruined it for everyone. Guess he finally "earned" his black beret huh??? :doh: Never forget the first time I saw a gaggle of french painters walking around post. :p

Oh and Domo A-freaking-men! That was the stupidest thing imaginable. "Support Company will never go to war... what do we need to practice soldier skills for?" :mad: I digress....

Stupid rule?? How bout on a deployment with weapons and not being issued any ammo or having to keep the mag out of the weapon? Nice trust issues there Lou.... :rolleyes:

FUCK YES. that's irritating as hell.

"here - carry this 8Lb golf club with 7 Lbs. of junk stuck to it that you may or may not use, and oh yeah - here's a mag. NO!! don't put the bullets IN the gun!!! that's unsafe! it might go off and kill someone!!!"

:uhh: right. not like we're in a combat zone or anything. people wonder why everyone has a pogue-pouch on the buttstock - if you're not gonna let them carry it in the mag well where it belongs, they're gonna put it where they won't sit on it, drop it, or lose it.

FUCK YES. that's irritating as hell.

"here - carry this 8Lb golf club with 7 Lbs. of junk stuck to it that you may or may not use, and oh yeah - here's a mag. NO!! don't put the bullets IN the gun!!! that's unsafe! it might go off and kill someone!!!"

:uhh: right. not like we're in a combat zone or anything. people wonder why everyone has a pogue-pouch on the buttstock - if you're not gonna let them carry it in the mag well where it belongs, they're gonna put it where they won't sit on it, drop it, or lose it.

Because idiots are shooting each other and themselves. Some years ago roughly 10% of the weapons on the Air Force camp at Bagram had rounds in the chamber and/ or the weapon off safe. While mostly AF, some soldieres were guilty of this too. We used to be informed of the number of injury-causing NDs on base, that quietly went away; the safety grams don't cover them anymore but we know they are happening.

This is one case of Joe being stupid and management getting medieval as a result.

Not being able to sing cadence while running past the on post housing in the mornings so we didn't wake anyone up. :doh::doh::doh:

Because idiots are shooting each other and themselves. Some years ago roughly 10% of the weapons on the Air Force camp at Bagram had rounds in the chamber and/ or the weapon off safe. While mostly AF, some soldieres were guilty of this too. We used to be informed of the number of injury-causing NDs on base, that quietly went away; the safety grams don't cover them anymore but we know they are happening.

This is one case of Joe being stupid and management getting medieval as a result.

it sounds like a problem with training also, though. weapons get left in the armory during field problems and rubber duckies take the place on ruck marches. give Joe a mag or two of blanks and make him carry that "loaded" weapon on his various training exercises. he'll be stupid, he'll discharge it negligently... but it'll be with blanks and he might actually learn something.

though, there I go again - making sense. I'll go counsel myself so no one else has to. In all seriousness, I do forget the rule we've come to live by: "lowest common denominator, now matter how low it is." I just hate paying the price for other people's stupidity.

I still hold that it's a stupid rule; but I definitely acknowledge the stupidity that caused the need for said stupid rule. thanks again for the insight, Free.

it sounds like a problem with training also, though. weapons get left in the armory during field problems and rubber duckies take the place on ruck marches. give Joe a mag or two of blanks and make him carry that "loaded" weapon on his various training exercises. he'll be stupid, he'll discharge it negligently... but it'll be with blanks and he might actually learn something.

Fuck that give them live M855 (steel core) and if Joe fucks up he gets UCMJ after his buddie kick the fucking shit out of him.:2c:

Fuck that give them live M855 (steel core) and if Joe fucks up he gets UCMJ after his buddie kick the fucking shit out of him.:2c:

Exactly. Given enough incidents and harsh enough penalties this may start to sink in. Harsh penalties for ND's and even worse for injuries... Nothing inspires respect in deadly machinery than the fear that it will bite them....:2c:

If people walked around everywhere in training with condition 1 weapons, they wouldn't develop the bad habits that lead to negligent discharges. We baby Marines/Soldiers in training and are astonished when there are problems when they are sent into combat and we cut away the tangled web of regulations and procedures that are designed to keep them "safe". Normally this is accomplished by mitigating away any potential risks in training, usually by taking away individual decision making. By the way, I think this is one of the highest factors in liberty incidents as well; Marines/Soldiers will not act like men unless they are treated like men.

I got to go to a range recently, and was amazed... we didn't wear eye pro, armor, helmets, nothing.... there were just weapons, ammo, targets, and soldiers. and you know what happened? not a fucking thing - except that we all zero'd and sighted our weapons/optics. and got about 300ish rounds of trigger time on our Uncle's dime.... :D amazing. use some common sense, and dumb shit doesn't happen.

Not being able to sing cadence while running past the on post housing in the mornings so we didn't wake anyone up. :doh::doh::doh:

The postulate of that - not being able to sing cadence/have bugle calls/fire a cannon at retreat on the Presidio of Monterey because it disturbed the civilians who had built homes too near the fenceline :doh: (Oh, and it woke up the Air Force component commander's wife).

We violated those stupid rules every time we could. It was worth the ass chewing - especially when I was sitting as the Bn CSM }:-)

yes... similarly.... there's nothing like waking up the residents of Ft Sam with "uh-HEY Laaaawdi DAAAAAAWdi.... hey hey..." or some equally bouncy run rhythm. :)

Back