Support MOSs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a pretty good video and no offence, it just states the obvious that the supporters already know. If all I was going by is that video, it didn't really motivate me enough to say that I would want to be part of the team.

A couple questions. ;) Where do communicators fit in the team? I sort of saw some footage in the video but of course they weren't mentioned at the end. Are they considered something other than support in the Regiment?

A couple questions. ;) Where do communicators fit in the team? I sort of saw some footage in the video but of course they weren't mentioned at the end. Are they considered something other than support in the Regiment?

They are in there somewhere (as usual). Fix the radios, help with the single channel radio training and operating flight-following nets. 160th doesn't have a comm unit, per se. They usually get most of their long haul support from external assets.

For communicators, the gold standard is the 112th Special Ops Signal Battalion. No sexy helicopters, but world-class comms gear, and good training. Battalion with 3 companies at Bragg, and Signal Detachments in all the Theater Special Operations Commands. Penetrate the Shadows!

I'm not hating, by the way...the 160th is the premier aviation unit on the planet; their Soldiers are excellent and well trained. My response is focused specifically on the question of comms.

They are in there somewhere (as usual). Fix the radios, help with the single channel radio training and operating flight-following nets. 160th doesn't have a comm unit, per se. They usually get most of their long haul support from external assets.

For communicators, the gold standard is the 112th Special Ops Signal Battalion. No sexy helicopters, but world-class comms gear, and good training. Battalion with 3 companies at Bragg, and Signal Detachments in all the Theater Special Operations Commands. Penetrate the Shadows!

I'm not hating, by the way...the 160th is the premier aviation unit on the planet; their Soldiers are excellent and well trained. My response is focused specifically on the question of comms.

Sir,

Thank you, it was an in depth response and exactly what I was looking for. We're not large enough to have our own Spec Ops Signals unit (Regular Army Signals units are Squadron's but there is one Regiment) yet but I'm sure it will be required some day; hopefully :D. All Units have their own assets. ;) Small world but growing fast.

Nothing about intel :(

Besides the standard Regimental and Battalion S-2 shops, I'm not sure how they employ intel folks.

I would imagine that they have better than average terrain analysis and weather support (this latter capability is provided by USAF SWO weather teams). But I don't have direct knowledge.

// Originally Posted by x SF med "There is no spoon." // What is that? Some subliminal, homophobic cross-thread attempt? ;)

Methinks that X SF Med is making a "Matrix" reference....:cool:

Sir,

Thank you, it was an in depth response and exactly what I was looking for. We're not large enough to have our own Spec Ops Signals unit (Regular Army Signals units are Squadron's but there is one Regiment) yet but I'm sure it will be required some day; hopefully :D. All Units have their own assets. ;) Small world but growing fast.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, allow me to follow up on your point above, as it pertains to SOF/SpecOps across the board:

If a unit's communications requirement is solely single channel radios (voice and/or data over HF, UHF, VHF, and/or UHF TACSAT), it can be supported internal to the unit for the most part. It gets tougher as you add more nets, but the current menu driven radios are relatively easy to train and operate.

Of course, when the requirement includes the more sexy, higher throughput systems, and tactical LANs, things get much more complicated. Where units get in trouble is thinking that by having a good idea, Computer Shopper(R) Magazine, a credit card, and a couple of computer hobbyists, they can install, operate, and maintain these systems.

The problem isn't necessarily having the systems (i.e. the assets), but having the robust architecture behind it, essentially enabling the unit to have the circuits and services you need once they light up the aforementioned assets.

Apologies to the moderators for drifting away from talk of helicopter units and the folks that support them.

Besides the standard Regimental and Battalion S-2 shops, I'm not sure how they employ intel folks.

I would imagine that they have better than average terrain analysis and weather support (this latter capability is provided by USAF SWO weather teams). But I don't have direct knowledge.

It was an inside joke, sorry. I'm pretty familiar with how the Regiment employs its intel. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back