SWCCs and civilian jobs

C

Caveman

I am trying to decide what I want to do in the military. My parents want me to choose a job that I can do in the civilian world, I want something that is more combat oriented. This looks like a little of both, dose anyone have any thoughts on the mater.
I also noticed that SWCCs get a lot of first aid training, do they get some sort of EMT qualification?

If you are looking at the military as just a JOB, then perhaps you should look at going to college or something else to find your CAREER. It's those that join for a JOB that usually don't stick around and move on. But those that come looking for a CAREER, find that the military gets in the blood and will stay for life. If your parents want you to get a JOB in civilian world, then perhaps they should help you find another path.

Yeah I would agree with gd. I know very few people that have gone into a combat arms mos thinking they would ETS (ie me). Then again, we have one member who has that in his career plan before he joins the FBI, CTU, and the A-Team.

gd, I have to disagree with you. The majority of people who join the military only do so for 1 enlistment and they get out. If that is the plan, then why not get an MOS that can transfer to the civilian world? Hell how many prior military on this board only have 1-2 enlistments?

gd, I have to disagree with you. The majority of people who join the military only do so for 1 enlistment and they get out. If that is the plan, then why not get an MOS that can transfer to the civilian world? Hell how many prior military on this board only have 1-2 enlistments?

I completely understand what you mean but if he's looking for a MOS that will transfer to the civilian world, then why not just stick it out in the military in that MOS as a career. But if he wants something that is more combat orientated, then he should just look at the single enlistment for the experience, basic leadership skills and move on.

Maybe things are different up here, most in any technical trade end up having to stay beyond their initial engagement if they are doing it for transferable skills. They don't get enough training in the first few years that would be worth while trying to transfer to civvie street; so they have to sign on to gain higher levels of training and get sucked in for the long haul. :D Of if the trade requires lengthy technical training initially, they are required to sign on for lengthy periods of service to pay back for the training received.

Do you know what you want to do as a civillian?

If college, then any militray job will help prepare you.

I told my son to do what he wants in the military, and worry about college/civillian careers after his ETS. He is now looking at more action oriented careers now.

You indicated a desire for medical training, the Army and Navy (primarily the Army) both have medics who get EMT cerifications as part of their training, and a medic in the Army will probably see some action in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I want a career in R&D working on stuff like the MOL http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/astrospies/program.html, to the Cougar. As you know a lot of this work is contracted out to privet companies, or it is done by other government agencies. It is beneficial to have practical experience with what you are working on. If I spend my career in the military or with some company like Boeing I could care less. What I want is a job that will give me both experience and technical knowledge that will benefit me with this career.

AF Recruiter? Two Navy SEALs have gone on to become astronauts. All I'm saying is that you can to get to almost anywhere you want from where you're at as long as you never quit trying to get there, do your best at every task at hand (whether you like the task or not), and pay your bills on time.

Cave, good luck in your decision. I think no matter what you choose, it will be right.

I am of the opinion that one should choose an RATE/MOS/NEC that they will enjoy doing. I believe that it is the discipline and maturity that a successful tour in the military instills that helps one get the job/career that they want as a civilian. The only training that I had during my twelve years in the Navy that came close to translating to a job was my 9545 NEC that was accepted by FDLE as comparative compliance for Law Enforcement Officer. I still had to attend the JSO academy, but for only a fraction of the time and expense that I would have had to. I'm sure that there are others, however, there is no substitute for doing what one loves to do. Once you are doing what it is that you really enjoy and believe in, success will follow.

Back