Task Force Ranger - Operation Gothic Serpent - 3 October, 1993

Found out last week that the AC's were pulled at the last minute.
CentCom Cdr then helped throw MG Garrison under the bus.

That was Hoar, the Marine. He relieved Schwarzkopf. I was at the change-of-command ceremony. He was former infantry...shame on him.

Some very candid comments about the lack of gunships and a reserve Ranger platoon. (And mimeograph machines were old school when I was in the Marines...strange that's all they had in Somalia to run copies.)

Nice to hear the kudos out to 10th Mountain.

Kyle Lamb should be every young warfighter's guru. "If you're coming up with ROE just to cover your ass...I don't want to work for you."

He's also a hoot.

Last edited:
A panel conducted at West Point with three veterans of the battle, Col. (ret) Larry Perino, Col. (ret) Lee VanArsdale, and SGM (ret) Kyle Lamb. I'm 40 minutes in and it is well worth your time.

Many moons ago, Lee and I ran several AAS MTT's together. He was the OIC and I was his NCOIC.

Lee was as solid a man as you would ever want to meet and serve with. Fond memories. Good times.

EKIA count always seems to be under reported.
It was an incredible job, and had Clinton elected to pile on would have (temporarily) crushed the clans.

I have read that Colin Powell may have been the decision-maker on the gunships. More worried about collateral damage and keeping numbers down verse giving the boots on the ground the requested firepower.

I have read that Colin Powell may have been the decision-maker on the gunships. More worried about collateral damage and keeping numbers down verse giving the boots on the ground the requested firepower.

Powell stepped down as CJCS about four days before the battle, but he may have contributed to the decision to restrict additional fire support in Somalia...although a number of accounts fault Clinton for setting the tone and Defense Secretary Les Aspin.

Randy Shugart's dad definitly blamed Clinton--although you have to take his emotions into account--and not only refused to shake hands with him during the MOH ceremony but told him he wasn't fit to be POTUS.

I clearly recall some of the bitter comments making the rounds at CENTCOM and elsewhere post-battle that blamed Clinton. And Aspin is on record as having denied a request for armored reinforcements--a decision he later acknowledged was a mistake.

Maybe some day--probably after more deaths--our warfighters in places like the Mog, Benghazi and Niger--will have adequate on-call support assets. Or not.

Last edited:
Powell stepped down as CJCS about four days before the battle, but he may have contributed to the decision to restrict additional fire support in Somalia...although a number of accounts fault Clinton for setting the tone and Defense Secretary Les Aspin.

Randy Shugart's dad definitly blamed Clinton--although you have to take his emotions into account--and not only refused to shake hands with him during the MOH ceremony but told him he wasn't fit to be POTUS.

I clearly recall some of the bitter comments making the rounds at CENTCOM and elsewhere post-battle that blamed Clinton. And Aspin is on record as having denied a request for armored reinforcements--a decision he later acknowledged was a mistake.

Maybe some day--probably after more deaths--our warfighters in places like the Mog, Benghazi and Niger--will have adequate on-call support assets. Or not.

Unfortunately our guys and gals out on the fringes will never have all the assets they need. At least we are finally trying to get surgeons close to them. Although a little bit of armor or gunship support could make our surgeons vary bored.

This is a very underappreciated conflict, the lessons learned here have saved countless lives in the years since.

You're very right brother. Just speaking to TCCC, formerly, combat life saver when I was in. Not to mention the amount of sacrifice, as in any conflict, those 2 days. The trauma medicine that we learned then is the reason military medicine is where it's at, today.

I served with 3 guys, one was my top for Bco, 2 others were squad leaders in Bco when I was line/senior medic. One bro, I'll not name but his last is a nickname for money was a beast gazelle on runs. He was an EMT-I also, I used him alot to train the boys and when we were in the middle east.

Top gave me a 2/325 coin, I still carry, a kiss on the cheek and hugged the stuffing out of me when I ETSd. Apparently, I earned his respect.

You're very right brother. Just speaking to TCCC, formerly, combat life saver when I was in. Not to mention the amount of sacrifice, as in any conflict, those 2 days. The trauma medicine that we learned then is the reason military medicine is where it's at, today.

I served with 3 guys, one was my top for Bco, 2 others were squad leaders in Bco when I was line/senior medic. One bro, I'll not name but his last is a nickname for money was a beast gazelle on runs. He was an EMT-I also, I used him alot to train the boys and when we were in the middle east.

Top gave me a 2/325 coin, I still carry, a kiss on the cheek and hugged the stuffing out of me when I ETSd. Apparently, I earned his respect.
You are right on the money when it comes to combat medicine!
I was with a Ranger from Op Serpent in Ukraine actually, small world.

Back