Term in ARW?

eroo

Unverified
I have read before and been told that Rangers can only serve a minimum amount of time in the Wing before they are cycled back to original unit.However in An Cosantoir(DF magazine) they recently interviewed Rangers from each section of ARW.Some of them had been in the Wing for 13 years!!

So can anyone tell me if there is a set term for Rangers that requires to go back to their parent unit after,say,5 years?
Also,what does the ARW beret look like?Is it green or is it black w/ green cap badge(i.e. red for PDF etc)

Cheers
eroo

Nice one mate!I shall ware out the search function then!:)
You say they are promoted to Cpl or have I misunderstood you?:doh:
I always thought they were just privates!If I have misunderstood you,then what is the rank of an ordinary Ranger??
Once you pass selection your a put into an attack team and after a minimum of 1 year in the team you can apply for one of the three sections,is this right?

Thanks again!

Nice one mate!I shall ware out the search function then!:)
You say they are promoted to Cpl or have I misunderstood you?:doh:
I always thought they were just privates!If I have misunderstood you,then what is the rank of an ordinary Ranger??
Once you pass selection your a put into an attack team and after a minimum of 1 year in the team you can apply for one of the three sections,is this right?

Thanks again!

Yes you get promoted to the Rank of Cpl.(its Acting Cpl until you pass the skills course or not.)fail for what ever reason your RTU'd and back to Pte. Sorry most of the other stuff you asked is touching on OPSEC(operational Security);)

No problem,should have realised:-x!Can I ask you a question that you might think is ridiculous?But I have seen on many forums thatsome people are of the opinion that life after the Wing is not so good...with the term 'looney farm' being thrown around.Anyway,what is your opinion on it?I think it is BS,I mean the Lt.Gen. is an ex-Ranger ffs!

I have ONE more question and then I shall leave you be!
Do you have to get your OC's approval/permission to go on selection??
Thanks,
eroo

No problem,should have realised:-x!Can I ask you a question that you might think is ridiculous?But I have seen on many forums thatsome people are of the opinion that life after the Wing is not so good...with the term 'looney farm' being thrown around.Anyway,what is your opinion on it?I think it is BS,I mean the Lt.Gen. is an ex-Ranger ffs!

I have ONE more question and then I shall leave you be!
Do you have to get your OC's approval/permission to go on selection??
Thanks,
eroo

Load of crap. its BS.. Some guys after a stint in the ARW go out to pasture and go into various units(some go back into Infantry and some into Training Units, or retire from the Army and do their own thing.

And yes to your Second Question.

Back