skylab3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 28
  • Bamboo-Taxi04.jpg
    Bamboo-Taxi04.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 26
  • igoroti 1000 cc.gif
    igoroti 1000 cc.gif
    82.1 KB · Views: 25
Stay safe and welcome AK. Humidity is a killer here. (Heat rashes, heat injuries) Don't forget to bring a good supply of mosquito repellents too.

I remember the jeepneys fondly......the open air fish market not so much.

I haven't been there before so the tips are very appreciated.
I always like getting in with the locals and finding the cool hole in the wall spots with them. Its always better to build rapport with people and get in with them then to run around insulting people and acting like you're better than them like I see some many guys do.

THANKS to the marines from 1MAW/3MEF/MARFORPAC who helped in the disaster relief operations in southern PH during last month's typhoon wherein 1,000-plus locals perished. They were there, first in (literally) and helped us day and night. Our deepest gratitude to you guys.

Its actually true. We have another one just this morning.
News, The Philippine Star, 22 January 2013.

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines - Seven Army scout rangers were hurt in an ambush by suspected members of the Abu Sayyaf Group in Ungkaya Pukan town, Basilan province on Tuesday morning.

Col. Rodrigo Gregorio, civil military operation and Spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Philippines' Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom), said the soldiers ambushed by the bandits are members of the 4th Scout Ranger Battalion (SRB) of the Special Operations Command (SOCOM).

Gregorio said the soldiers were on their way back to the headquarters of the 12th Scout Rangers Company when they came under attack at around 7:40 a.m. at the vicinity of barangays Amaloy and Bohe Pahu in Ungkaya Pukan town.

“They were ambushed by an undetermined number of Abu Sayyaf and lawless elements after coming from security patrol,” Gregorio said.

The wounded soldiers were able to return fir as their maneuvered against the position of the attacking rebels. The bandits retreated with suspected casualties after 20 minutes of gun battle.

The wounded scout rangers were immediately extricated from the combat zone and airlifted by Philippine Air Force (PAF) and US helicopters to Camp Navarro General Hospital (CNGH) based inside the Wesmincom headquarters in Zamboanga City.

Gregorio said that the wounded soldiers have been declared out of danger by military doctors.

He said that teams have been deployed to the ambush site to track down the bandits.

“We suspect that this is the handiwork of the spoilers particularly the ASG (Abu Sayyaf Group) who wanted to destroy the significant headway that we achieved from the successful meeting with the forces of the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front),” Gregorio added.

Attachments

• PH troops basilan.jpg
    PH troops basilan.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the pics, HALO99. I recently found out that my great uncle died in the Philippines in 1945. This link is to the online record of the letter to our family informing them that their son had died fighting near the Villa Verde Trail.

http://theusgenweb.org/tx/delta/events/military/veterans_record/veterantxt/beard_woodard.htm

I've been scouring battle maps and google earth looking at the rough terrain they were fighting in. This is his Regiment on hill 504 three days before he died.

Attachments

• hill 504.jpg
    hill 504.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 14
"Back in the day" - one could roll up t0 the back of the San Miguel Brewery in Manila and buy absolutely fresh beer by the case at a discount. Best beer in Asia. I understand they now have another brewery in Pampanga, which might be an easier location for a quick 'road trip'.

Stay safe

Thanks for the pics, HALO99. I recently found out that my great uncle died in the Philippines in 1945. This link is to the online record of the letter to our family informing them that their son had died fighting near the Villa Verde Trail.

http://theusgenweb.org/tx/delta/events/military/veterans_record/veterantxt/beard_woodard.htm

I've been scouring battle maps and google earth looking at the rough terrain they were fighting in. This is his Regiment on hill 504 three days before he died.

Bloodline, the location of that famous hill is now called Valle Verde Trail located at Barangay Malico, Imugan, Santa Fe Town of Nueva Vizcaya, Northern Philippines. I was deployed in that area in '00. I learned many WWII stories from the natives there. The general area is located surrounding the vicinity where leadership of the then Japanese Imperial Army made its last stand against the combined USAFFE (United States Army Forces Far East) and Filipino Guerrilla forces. So many unsung heroes who fought and died in that place. Your great uncle is surely one of them. Thanks to you and your great uncle's service.

Attachments

• Sherman Tank at Valle Verde Trail.jpg
    Sherman Tank at Valle Verde Trail.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 12
  • Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 9
They don't get a lot of coverage, but there have been a number of MSOTs in the Philippines for a few years now.

In my opinion, it's one of the underlooked areas in the GWOT

Here's an example of how southeast asian jungles (dense vegetation + heat +high humidity + extreme weather changes) can affect unacclimatized persons, no matter how fit you are.

Always acclimatize first. Spend some time out of airconditioned places.

Back