Terrorism charges reinstated against Khadr

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
Terrorism charges reinstated against Khadr
Last Updated: Monday, September 24, 2007 | 8:31 PM ET
CBC News

A U.S. military appeal court on Monday overruled a military judge who threw out terrorism charges against the only Canadian being held at the American naval prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The U.S. Court of Military Commission Review ruled that a military court set up by the George W. Bush administration was the proper venue to decide whether Omar Khadr is an "unlawful enemy combatant" and can be tried on charges of terrorism and murder.

Monday's ruling reverses a June 4 decision by a U.S. military judge that dismissed all charges against Khadr for technical reasons.

Under the Military Commissions Act, which was revised and passed by the U.S. Congress in October 2006, military commissions only have jurisdiction to try "unlawful enemy combatants."

Khadr, whose family lives in Toronto, had been classified by a military panel in 2004 as only an "enemy combatant" — which is what led the judge to dismiss the charges.

Pentagon officials argued that the June 4 ruling was just a matter of semantics and was insufficient to dismiss the case.

Khadr was 15 when he was captured in Afghanistan in 2002 and imprisoned in Guantanamo. He was accused of throwing a grenade that killed American medic Sgt. First Class Christopher J. Speer.

Human rights groups argue that the Guantanamo military courts are illegal because they do not offer the same protections as U.S. courts.

It's about time. Put that fucker against the wall and I'll volunteer for the firing squad. ;) If he's found guilty, then the Canadian Gov't better deport his fucking family. :mad::doh:

I've always been suspicious of my countries past immigration policies. I think that they are moving forward in a better direction but in the past, just about any one would be let in. This whole fucking family should be sent back to Egypt or to Pakistan to live with the sister.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/khadr/

Several members of the family have lived in southern Ontario since emigrating from Egypt in 1977. But the movements of some family members in the 1990s – and after the attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001 – have attracted the attention of intelligence officials.

Ahmed Said Khadr

* Born in Egypt, moved to Canada in 1977.
* Accused of being a "founding member" of al-Qaeda and financier for the organization.
* Put on a list of suspected terrorists after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
* Killed in a shootout with Pakistani forces near the Afghanistan border.

Maha Khadr

* Ahmed Said Khadr's wife
* Born in Palestine, moved to Canada
* Married Ahmed Said Khadr in Canada
* Moved with husband six children to Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Zaynab Khadr

* Daughter in Pakistan.
* Allegations that she was involved with her her brother, Abdullah, in running an al-Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan in the 1990s.

Abdullah Khadr

* Eldest son.
* Information from the Taliban released on Feb. 4, 2004, suggested he may have been the suicide bomber who killed a Canadian soldier in Kabul in January 2004.
* In an interview with CBC News on Feb. 25, 2004, Abdullah Khadr said, "If I was the suicide bomber, I wouldn't be doing this interview with you right now."
* Had been accused of running an al-Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan in the 1990s. He denied it.
* Returned to Canada on Dec. 7, 2005 after he was released from custody in Pakistan. He had been held there for a year. It was unclear who held him and why he was released.
* Arrested in Toronto on Dec. 17, 2005 at the request of U.S. authorities. Bail is denied.
* Indicted in Massachusetts on Feb. 8, 2006 on four charges, including conspiring to kill American soldiers in Afghanistan, conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, and conspiracy to possess a destructive device to commit violent crimes. The charges carry a maximum sentence of life in prison and a million dollar fine.

Abdurahman Khadr

* Calls himself the "black sheep" of the Khadr family.
* Arrested as a suspected member of al-Qaeda in November 2001.
* Transferred to Guantanamo Bay in early 2003
* Released and sent to Afghanistan in July 2003.
* Returned to Canada in October 2003

Omar Khadr

* Detained in July 2002 near Khost, Afghanistan at age 15 accused of killing a U.S. serviceman
* Being held in Guantanamo Bay.

Abdul Karim Khadr

* Paralysed from the waist down in the same shootout that killed his father.
* Abdul Karim and mother return to Canada in April 2004 and are living in Toronto.

Back