Texas in color during great depression & WW2

Kodachrome photos show Texas in color during the Great Depression and World War II

For the history buffs....I always love seeing these type of pictures in color.

Great find, DD! Couple of shots of the PBY's. That airframe had to be part of the C-130's gene pool. They were sturdy, all around aircraft that could take a beating and could land anywhere. They saved a fair number of lives in the Pacific.

The Kodachrome pictures are a brief look at a time in our history, that saw people living on a shoestring , hard work and a prayer. I wonder how many alive today, could take the hardships that were so common back then?

I tend to wonder how our modern society would deal with a harsh time such has been seen many times throughout history. I tend look at history and use it as a guide for the future. The sick, weak and stupid will die, the healthy, strong and smart will live, rebuild and make it better than before.

$.02

I tend to wonder how our modern society would deal with a harsh time such has been seen many times throughout history. I tend look at history and use it as a guide for the future. The sick, weak and stupid will die, the healthy, strong and smart will live, rebuild and make it better than before.

$.02

I think you are spot on. We have given so much over to our high tech world now. We are gatherers for the most part, and we don't even have to do much of that; Kroger, Wal-Mart, Food Lion, etc., take the labor out of even that for us. Only a small percentage of people in the US could plan , plant, raise, and reap a modest sized garden. It takes work, and getting your hands dirty; beyond most people today. The same case for everything else. How many people can make a shirt from a bolt of fabric, or shoes, etc. some of us can hunt, kill and dress out, and preserve game; but even there, the numbers are pretty low.

The micro population of "Preppers" will do well. Don't expect them to be kind, understanding and nurturing to those outside thier worlds. Perhaps you could get lucky enough to work for some Preppers, but they will not be giving anything away.

Time has changed us from the Depression, and Dust Bowl eras. We are a world away from then. Today, only a few would be able to do the back breaking job that begins at dawn, and ends, exahsted, at nightfall.

This reminds me of a discussion I once had with an anti-vaccination parent who asked if I would write "some sort of exemption" for her child's minimum school immunization requirement.

"No, I don't think I'll be doing that" was the answer, with a reminder that diptheria alone killed about 14,000 people yearly in the U.S. at it's peak during the 1920s, a great many of them children, with post-vaccine mortality now down to zero.

Our current standard of living ironically provides the environment for some to ignore or decry what it took for us to get us here in the first place (much of it during the time period in those pictures) and to fail at doing their part in maintaining that standard.

But alas, DB 2/2 is right; the stupid will select out, though apparently not before damaging their society in the process.

This reminds me of a discussion I once had with an anti-vaccination parent who asked if I would write "some sort of exemption" for her child's minimum school immunization requirement.

"No, I don't think I'll be doing that" was the answer, with a reminder that diptheria alone killed about 14,000 people yearly in the U.S. at it's peak during the 1920s, a great many of them children, with post-vaccine mortality now down to zero.

Our current standard of living ironically provides the environment for some to ignore or decry what it took for us to get us here in the first place (much of it during the time period in those pictures) and to fail at doing their part in maintaining that standard.

But alas, DB 2/2 is right; the stupid will select out, though apparently not before damaging their society in the process.
Ouch...but damn. Good post!

Back