The B-21, the 21st century bomber.

The airframe's shape doesn't bother me in the least.

1. Look at modern stealth aircraft. They are rounded, blended, and generally lack a vertical empennage. When they have one the angles aren't conventional.
2. It is a conceptual drawing. Everyone thought the "F-19" would be this flying teardrop thing until the F-117 finally saw the light of day (almost literally).
3. The B-2's design is 30 years old or thereabouts. That includes construction methods and materials. We haven't learned anything about the design in that time, there was no more data to wring out? Look at the F-15 Silent Eagle, a gazillion year old (by today's standards) design updated with stealthy characteristics, including design and materials.
4. If the thing came in 10% late and 10% over budget while meeting it's performance goals/ specs I would be elated. It will have managed to do everything the F-35 can't and won't at that point.

I don't care if they paint a potato black as long as it kills people in creative ways and never shows up on radar.

Exactly. It's not like it's got to do a ton of maneuvering anyway, especially if you can't tell the fucker's there... therefore, no standard design tail is fine. It just needs to maintain controllability and not have issues with departure from controlled flight throughout and beyond standard operating envelope... shit should be recoverable.

I think it'd be interesting to see something that's got the same or larger conventional capacity as a B-52... it'd be pretty baller.

I have no good ideas for a name, though.

Exactly. It's not like it's got to do a ton of maneuvering anyway, especially if you can't tell the fucker's there... therefore, no standard design tail is fine. It just needs to maintain controllability and not have issues with departure from controlled flight throughout and beyond standard operating envelope... shit should be recoverable.

I think it'd be interesting to see something that's got the same or larger conventional capacity as a B-52... it'd be pretty baller.

I have no good ideas for a name, though.

B-1

Just saying....

If you're gonna launch from the "continental U.S. to deliver air strikes anywhere in the world" you better have a god damn good coffee maker on that thing.

I'll be impressed if they can make a bomber that will get ordnance off in one pass on a consistent basis, instead of after 3 or 4 "Off dry, systems" calls.

I'll be impressed if they can make a bomber that will get ordnance off in one pass on a consistent basis, instead of after 3 or 4 "Off dry, systems" calls.

Imagine pairing that capability with a tanker that doesn't break inflight.

- What do you mean "Exxon" went home?
The boom broke.
- YOU HAVE ONE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back