The Battle of Point du Hoc

The bus tour I talked about started and ended in Paris. We had a few days on ech end of the tour to see the sights of Paris, which shouldn't be missed either.

The one place that I really wanted to visit in the Normandy area, but the tour didn't go there, was the town of St-Mare-Eglise and the Museum there.

After recovery from Iraq and block leave, my brigade leadership did a "staff ride" to Normandy, to include Ste. Mere Eglise. Sadly, I was in the States going to the Navy Senior Enlisted Academy :(

A funny thing about the Battle of Point du Hoc: Whenever the military mentioned the name, they would make the mistake of calling it "Point du Hoe." Forgot where I read that. Was a while ago when I did a report on it.

A funny thing about the Battle of Point du Hoc: Whenever the military mentioned the name, they would make the mistake of calling it "Point du Hoe." Forgot where I read that. Was a while ago when I did a report on it.

I've always seen it as "Pont du Hoc," but sometimes as "Pointe du Hoc."

Hoc Bridge, or Hoc Point. :confused:

When pronounced in French, the "c" sound sort of disappears. It's not "Point Doo Hock"

Back