The Future of CAA

Stretcher Jockey

IDMT-P
SOF Support
Looking to understand the future of the Air Force Combat Aviation Advisors. I have been working towards applying in the near future, but recently have heard from a few members at the Hurlburt OSM that CAA is essentially being disbanded. Does anyone know if this is the case, or whether this capability will still be available in the future? Thanks all.

Edit: should also add that I've reached out to their recruiting cell a couple months ago and haven't heard any word back.

At this time, our hiring/recruiting is on hold. Our training pipeline has also been turned off. Our future is up in the air, with no solid answer on what it will look like in the upcoming years, or even the upcoming months. We are all hoping we will know more as leadership at the higher levels change, and the start of the new fiscal year.

At this time, our hiring/recruiting is on hold. Our training pipeline has also been turned off. Our future is up in the air, with no solid answer on what it will look like in the upcoming years, or even the upcoming months. We are all hoping we will know more as leadership at the higher levels change, and the start of the new fiscal year.
I appreciate the response. Hopefully there is still a future in the mission.

LOL....wut? The whole career field, 6th SOS, all going away?
The 6th SOS has a mission that is either still valid or not. 6th SOS

Combat Aviation Advisor (CAA) was never a career field, a specific career AFSC, or even a Reporting Identifier AFSC. It's a Special Experience Identifier (SEI). The required SEI training doesn't result in award of any skill level or contribute to skill level or grade/rank advancement in any AFSC.

SEIs are established when identifying experience or training is critical to the job and person assignment match, and no other identification is appropriate or available. CCA actually has several SEIs: 164-Basic Air Advisor (authorized for any AFSC),166 Advanced Air Advisor (authorized for any AFSC), 330 Combat Aviation Advisor (authorized for specific AFSCs). SEI 330 is connected to assignment to the 6th SOS.

SEI 330 Combat Aviation Advisor (CAA)
Requires: 1) 919 OG/CC, 6 SOS/CC, or 371 SOCTS/CC recommendation; 2) completion of Combat Aviation Advisor Mission Qualification Course, Phase I, Initial Language Qualification, Phase II, USAF Specialty Development Training, Phase III; 3) a minimum of 12 months experience in a designated CAA unit; and 4) and operational deployment as a CAA, under the direct supervision of a fully qualified CAA.

AFSCs authorized to obtain SEI 330 are: 1A1X1/X1A2X1/X1A9X1/X1DXXX/X1N0XX1N1XX/X1N7XX1N8X11P0XX1T0X11U0X1/X1ZXXX 2A3732A353X2A333E2A3742A3X4X2A5002A5X1X2A5X2X(except 2A532D)2A5X4X2A6912A671C/F/H2A631X2G0X12R1X12S071/51/312T2X1
3DXXX3F2X13F531/51/713P0X14N0X1C
5C0XX/X5I0X15I1X15I8X15Z9005Z800

Last edited:
Okay...6th SOS and the AFSC goes away...what happens to the AF FID mission?
Well, there is no CCA AFSC to go away or to do away with which is my only factual input to this thread.

There is also no reason for the SEI to be specific to the 6th SOS as historical data verifies some of the AFSCs on the SEI 330 list were doing FID since 1947 and before USSOCOM and AFSOC existed and during the periods the 6th SOS was deactivated. My best guess is if the 6th SOS is deactivated the AF FID mission will still be accomplished somehow.

This is the only place such rumors and speculations are being discussed and there are people on this site more in the know than I am on the status of the 6th SOS. I suppose I could really agitate the discussion and suggest the AF is going to contract it out to a civilian contractor.

AIR ADVISOR FUNCTIONAL CATEGORY (8LXXX) (Established 31 Oct 19)
Introduction
The Air Advisor function involves specially trained Airmen utilizing their primary Air Force functional subject matter expertise to assess, train, advise, assist, and when authorized equip (ATAAE) foreign partner forces to develop their own internal aviation capacity and capability. In this functional category qualified conventional force airmen are Air Advisors trained and educated through USAF educations and training programs and standards; Combat Aviation Advisors are special operations airmen trained through Air Force Special Operations Command training programs certified through United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) standards. ...

Do not alter primary, control, or duty AFSCs with this SDI. The red text simply indicates skill level advancement and grade/rank progression is determined by the service member's AFSC and not the SDI which is why SEI 330 that is only authorized for specific AFSCs was previously disclosed.

As a medic?

Correct. My controlled tour is about to be up and I've been looking for a new job. Obviously my plans don't mean much to AFPC, but Im applying to multiple positions so I don't have to go back to the med geoup.

Some (sort of) up to date info from a guy... can't say who... but those that know, know.

@AWP the AvFID (and SFA) missions continue; as for a way ahead for the CAA's- more to follow, I suppose.
[/Qgroup.

I watched this episode when it came out and it was incredibly beneficial! Can't thank you guys enough for all the great info you put out. Funny enough I ran into Peaches at a bar not too long ago.

The mission that we do absolutely still exists. Whether or not we will be the ones doing it, I don’t know.

As for the AFSC, it’s cloudy. The 711th, our reservist sister squadron, operates off of two AFSCs, one for Officer and one for Enlisted, then they plug whatever AFSC they need into that billet. On the active side, I do believe my 8Lxxx is a secondary AFSC, I’m logging into my laptop right now so that I can pass accurate info.

Current RUMINT is absolutely stirring, with multiple options, ranging from the TAOS to the MSAS. Only time will tell.

The mission is extremely fulfilling, and my only regret is that I don’t have more time doing it.

Edit to add:
My Primary, Duty, and Control AFSC still show as K1A9, with 8L700 as my 2AFSC, with K1A1 as my 3AFSC.

SEIs include 330 and 306.

Last edited:
Officer Combat Aviation Advisor is also a Special Duty Identifier. SDI 89X.

When the member is filling a valid 89X unit manpower document (UMD) authorization, 89X is authorized as the awarded (secondary or third) and Duty AFSC.

Officer Combat Aviation Advisor is also a Special Duty Identifier. SDI 89X.

When the member is filling a valid 89X unit manpower document (UMD) authorization, 89X is authorized as the awarded (secondary or third) and Duty AFSC.
We also have the 8L800 and 8L900 for Team Sergeant and Team Leader, respectively. But again, those are SDIs, and more information can be found in the AFECD.

Correct. My controlled tour is about to be up and I've been looking for a new job. Obviously my plans don't mean much to AFPC, but Im applying to multiple positions so I don't have to go back to the med geoup.

I watched this episode when it came out and it was incredibly beneficial! Can't thank you guys enough for all the great info you put out. Funny enough I ran into Peaches at a bar not too long ago.
Aerovac.

I would rather get out of the military than go AE, sir. The level of care their medics are allowed to do is significantly less than the way I've operated for the last 7 years. It holds zero interest for me, although I do appreciate the recommendation.

Bummer. I assume the 711 SOS's fate is tied to whatever happens to the 6th SOS and the career field at large? I'm in the reserves and had been working towards being in a position to submit an application with the 711 SOS in a year or two once things settled down with my civilian work. It looked like exactly the sort of work I wanted to be doing.

Have you considered PA School?
I have. I dont want to derail this thread on my future plans though, no one wants to hear all that. I just wanted to see what CAA's future is looking like since I was in the process of submitting my package when I heard they're changing things up significantly.

I have. I dont want to derail this thread on my future plans though, no one wants to hear all that. I just wanted to see what CAA's future is looking like since I was in the process of submitting my package when I heard they're changing things up significantly.
If your career can wait, maybe there will be an answer in October? I’m sorry there isn’t more info.
Bummer. I assume the 711 SOS's fate is tied to whatever happens to the 6th SOS and the career field at large? I'm in the reserves and had been working towards being in a position to submit an application with the 711 SOS in a year or two once things settled down with my civilian work. It looked like exactly the sort of work I wanted to be doing.
They are also up in the air with their future, last I heard.

Back