The Future of CAA

If your career can wait, maybe there will be an answer in October? I’m sorry there isn’t more info.

They are also up in the air with their future, last I heard.
I genuinely appreciated your input here! It's good to hear more than heresay from someone who is currently in the unit. And I'm assigned here until early next year so I've got all the time I need. Hope you guys figure out what's going on next so you aren't left high and dry.

All this to say, any advising by those personnel in the future is all but certain to occur on the ground, and not in the cockpit with a partner pilot; this arrangement will nullify entirely the ability to achieve proficiency in training by partner forces.
This same concern somewhat surfaced during SEA conflicts (dominantly Laos/Cambodia). Archived documents from that era mentioned a few times that rather than advising and training the mission had shifted too much from Air Force personnel being provided to train and advise shifting to flying combat missions rather than training and advising the foreign military in country. Also, much debate on remaining proficiency of US trained and advised air force capability once US combat forces left in unstable political regions as what was built crumbled away as regimes changed and US dollars disappeared.

I would greatly appreciate that. I just made SSgt and have been wanting to apply when I heard about the special duty from Ones Ready in 2021.

BLUF: The 711 SOS is currently only hiring previously qualified CAAs.

Without getting too far into the subject, there is a not-insignificant amount of thrash regarding the future of the CAAs in general. RUMINT is all over the place and significant changes may yet occur. The 711 SOS itself is not (currently) going away but it's absolutely anyone's guess as to what's coming next. If you're not a current CAA, I'd encourage you to look for a slot elsewhere. If your heart is set on coming to northwest Florida there are options--just not as a CAA.

If you are a previous CAA, PM me and I will get you a PoC you can reach out to.

Without getting too far into the subject, there is a not-insignificant amount of thrash regarding the future of the CAAs in general. RUMINT is all over the place and significant changes may yet occur. The 711 SOS itself is not (currently) going away but it's absolutely anyone's guess as to what's coming next. If you're not a current CAA, I'd encourage you to look for a slot elsewhere. If your heart is set on coming to northwest Florida there are options--just not as a CAA.

Great input here. Thanks for the knowledge.

Thank you very much for the information. I had my heart set on being a CAA but timing was not on my side.

What's plan B?
Definitely now I have to re-focus goals and re-structure pt. The main goal has been to become an operator so that hasn't changed. I'll have to focus more specifically on getting ready for AFSPECWAR. The reason why I've been getting things knocked out to apply to CAA was because I genuinely love being a maintainer. So the opportunity to train other nation's, learn a language, problem solve and learn SOF skills that apply in the maintainer space was super exciting. Who knows maybe later on CAA's will be needed again.

Definitely now I have to re-focus goals and re-structure pt. The main goal has been to become an operator so that hasn't changed. I'll have to focus more specifically on getting ready for AFSPECWAR. The reason why I've been getting things knocked out to apply to CAA was because I genuinely love being a maintainer. So the opportunity to train other nation's, learn a language, problem solve and learn SOF skills that apply in the maintainer space was super exciting. Who knows maybe later on CAA's will be needed again.
Good luck.

I would say consider Aircrew (Special Mission Aviator) if AFSPECWAR doesn't give you a chance.

Well, the article is not without merit. In theory, the CAAs just changed names and moved into the new Theatre-Aligned Operations Squadrons. We'll just have to wait and see how that works out.

Back