The Home Buying / Selling Thread

Not sure if any of you know the perks of living in TX as a disabled vet.

In Texas, veterans with a disability rating of:
  • 100% are exempt from all property taxes
  • 70 to 100% receive a $12,000 property tax exemption
  • 50 to 69% receive a $10,000 property tax exemption
  • 30 to 49% receive a $7,500 property tax exemption
  • 10 to 29% receive a $5,000 property tax exemption

I've been looking at TX and VA for new jobs. As a single individual I've considered new homes up to $850k in VA.... :hmm:

When my wife was pregnant with our 2nd daughter we needed to move out of the city. Feb 2020 we get a call from a realtor about a pocket listing in the town my wife grew up in and where her family is.
Owner bought the property for a friend who went through a bad divorce so that she didn’t need to move away from her boys and they could be with her in town.
We got lucky, my wife saw the property, our realtor never showed anyone else and we went back together the next day and had our bid accepted 5% below ask which was nice of them to do.

Our town is nuts in terms of pricing, ~$310/sqft for needing some work.

Not sure if any of you know the perks of living in TX as a disabled vet.

In Texas, veterans with a disability rating of:
  • 100% are exempt from all property taxes
  • 70 to 100% receive a $12,000 property tax exemption
  • 50 to 69% receive a $10,000 property tax exemption
  • 30 to 49% receive a $7,500 property tax exemption
  • 10 to 29% receive a $5,000 property tax exemption

I've been looking at TX and VA for new jobs. As a single individual I've considered new homes up to $850k in VA.... :hmm:
Don’t move to VA. My personal property tax bill this year for my cars is almost $5,000. That’s a yearly tax I pay for the privilege of parking them in my garage. Plus we still have the 4.15% sales tax when you buy one.

Don’t move to VA. My personal property tax bill this year for my cars is almost $5,000. That’s a yearly tax I pay for the privilege of parking them in my garage. Plus we still have the 4.15% sales tax when you buy one.

Maryland did some stupid shit like that. Do you have a gasoline tax?

I love Virginia. The mountains, the coast...beautiful state, a lot to do. But damn, it may as well be southern New Jersey given the taxes and costs.

Does VA still have vehicle inspections? If so, that is an added cost. I used to live in VA.

Does VA still have vehicle inspections? If so, that is an added cost. I used to live in VA.
Sadly :hmm:

They were going to double the gas tax but get rid of vehicle inspections, but then at the last second they decided to double the tax and keep inspections...

My wife and I live about 10-15 minutes from the border with NC as is, and we are seriously considering selling our house and buying something significantly bigger just south of the border while continuing to work in VA.

I read an article today about the fed raising its rates, so if anyone is going to buy a house, do it soon or it's going to cost you a ton more money. The days of almost free money, I think they are coming to a close.

Sadly :hmm:

They were going to double the gas tax but get rid of vehicle inspections, but then at the last second they decided to double the tax and keep inspections...

My wife and I live about 10-15 minutes from the border with NC as is, and we are seriously considering selling our house and buying something significantly bigger just south of the border while continuing to work in VA.
Moyock isn’t that much cheaper anymore.

Not as much, but still cheaper than the part of chesapeake that we live in by a decent amount 🤣
Yup. I’ll be happy to leave VB. And thankful we don’t have to buy anything else. We almost bought in Sandbridge a few years ago and I’m actively kicking myself for that decision not to right now. At the time it was too far from work and was stretching our budget. Fast forward a few years and now I work from home. Could have woke up every morning drinking coffee on the balcony watching the sunrise.

Yup. I’ll be happy to leave VB. And thankful we don’t have to buy anything else. We almost bought in Sandbridge a few years ago and I’m actively kicking myself for that decision not to right now. At the time it was too far from work and was stretching our budget. Fast forward a few years and now I work from home. Could have woke up every morning drinking coffee on the balcony watching the sunrise.
Oh man…that would have been the dream 🥲

I read an article today about the fed raising its rates, so if anyone is going to buy a house, do it soon or it's going to cost you a ton more money. The days of almost free money, I think they are coming to a close.
As someone paying very close attention to the global economy and markets, you are 100% correct. They just raised rates today but the 10 yr treasury has already been heading higher. Mortgages are already coming in at over 4% for a 30 Yr Fixed rate. I refied in October last year at 2.75% if that tells you anything about where we are headed in terms of rates...

As someone paying very close attention to the global economy and markets, you are 100% correct. They just raised rates today but the 10 yr treasury has already been heading higher. Mortgages are already coming in at over 4% for a 30 Yr Fixed rate. I refied in October last year at 2.75% if that tells you anything about where we are headed in terms of rates...
They are going up but given the 08-09 issues the Fed probably has an absolute upper limit they will allow rates to go to in order to combat a massive default wave as the percentage of variable rate mortgages is still high.

Only time will tell on that one. They are kinda backed into a corner on tools they have to curb inflation. More QE right now will mean more inflation and will likely not yeild the desired effect as spending will contuine to slow into higher prices.

Back