The Sniper Revolution

Sniper = MOS (USMC)8541 (Army)ASI B4 (USAF)N/A (USN)is not a rating.

Unless the above, not a sniper. With the above but with out the equipment, not a sniper.

Not really trying to nitpick brother but I know a couple guys that never attended Benning Sniper or SOTIC. Their training amounted to civilian run schools and in-house training. They are assigned and/or where assigned to our sniper section and performed as snipers.

Not really trying to nitpick brother but I know a couple guys that never attended Benning Sniper or SOTIC. Their training amounted to civilian run schools and in-house training. They are assigned and/or where assigned to our sniper section and performed as snipers.

No worries, I have attended several (non-B4) sniper courses and was in a Sniper sections for 4 years, as a shooter and TL. But I still don't claim to be a sniper...

It's just a title and that title belongs to people who hold the MOS IMO.:2c:I am not saying that others can't shoot or are not as sneaky as most snakes can be, I just try to respect the title...

It would be like me working with SF or Rangers and then claiming to be one, if you don't hold the MOS, then you don't claim the title...

As for the Army, there are only 1-2% sniper equiped/ trained soldiers. Being the Btn Sniper section.

SDM's are not snipers, they are riflemen in a squad with more training in marksmanship. They are equiped with a NM grade barreled rifle (in most cases they are not) and standard optics. The operate as a member of the squad and close the gap 300m to 600m, where MG fire is not allowed or needed.

Sniper = MOS (USMC)8541 (Army)ASI B4 (USAF)N/A (USN)is not a rating.

Unless the above, not a sniper. With the above but with out the equipment, not a sniper.

I went to SOTIC, not Benning Sniper School. I do not have the B4 or the W3 (since I was not SF). Served 3+ yrs in Sniper platoon. What does that make me?

I went to SOTIC, not Benning Sniper School. I do not have the B4 or the W3 (since I was not SF). Served 3+ yrs in Sniper platoon. What does that make me?

If you went to SOTIC, you should have been awarded a B4 ASI. I had to fellow instructors who were given a B4 ASI who had only attended SOTIC phase 1? You should talk to HRC branch manager and submit your training record's, they will update your MOS/ ASI.

Look either way, my point was that the title "SNIPER" is just that a title. I know many school trained soldiers who w payer money wasted tax payers money attending sniper school. They could not shoot before they went and could not shoot when they came back. However, to claim a title of being a sniper and not having the MOS is not something I agree with.

Lancero, you should have a B4 AIS with completion of SOTIC, it is a better sniper course anyway.:2c:

Lancero, I've got a mate thats was 101st and he did the same. You want me to email him and find out how the paper war gets fought on that?

If you went to SOTIC, you should have been awarded a B4 ASI. I had to fellow instructors who were given a B4 ASI who had only attended SOTIC phase 1? You should talk to HRC branch manager and submit your training record's, they will update your MOS/ ASI.

Look either way, my point was that the title "SNIPER" is just that a title. I know many school trained soldiers who w payer money wasted tax payers money attending sniper school. They could not shoot before they went and could not shoot when they came back. However, to claim a title of being a sniper and not having the MOS is not something I agree with.

Lancero, you should have a B4 AIS with completion of SOTIC, it is a better sniper course anyway.:2c:

Got it, thanks man.

...Put simply, the emphasis [now] is on a lot fewer bullets fired, and much more accurate shooting...

Bullshit. When was the emphasis in the Marine Corps not on accurate shooting? The Marine Corps has always had the best basic marksmanship program of any branch. Accuracy is, and has always been, the fuckin point.

As per: Army Pamplet 611-21, ASI W3, Special Forces Target Interdiction Course

a. Description of positions. Identifies positions requiring soldiers qualified in Special Forces Target Interdiction Operations.

b. Qualifications. Must successfully complete the special Operations Target Interdiction Course, Ft Bragg, N.C., or the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) Sniper Course.

c. Restrictions. For use with MOS 11B, 11C, 18B, 18C, 180, I8E, 18F, 18Z and 92R only.

Bottom Line: If you graduate SOTIC, you are W3 qualified. Lancero, you are W3 qualified. Has to be awarded on separate orders. I am sitting here with a copy of mine in my hand.

Bottom Line: If you graduate SOTIC, you are W3 qualified. Lancero, you are W3 qualified. Has to be awarded on separate orders. I am sitting here with a copy of mine in my hand.

Thank you, Mr. Beck.

I wish I had known that when I graduated.

Back