Review The Zulus at War

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
The Zulus at War: The History, Rise and Fall of the Tribe that Washed its Spears, by Adrian Greaves and Xolani Mkhize.

Well...for one thing, "washing spears" doesn't have anything to do with weapons care and maintenance. It's about disemboweling your dead enemies with your assegai to let out the evil spirits. :thumbsup:

This is a good book: well researched, well-written. It focuses mainly on the Zulu-British War of 1879 but traces Zulu history from the early 1800s to the present. It's only 194 pages and as fascinating as those pages are, I wished the book had been longer. And although the authors include some very cool rare maps of the time period, I would have liked to have seen some detailed battle maps and diagrams.

Plenty of action, though, blood, gore, heroics on both sides and intrigue and treachery, of course, by Perfidious Albion.

Fascinating part of history. I lived among the Matabele people in Zimbabwe, they were a Zulu tribe that left the tribe due to Shaka's excesses.
I will have to check that book out.

This an interesting doco on the Zulu victory over the British at Isandlwana.

I lived among the Matabele people in Zimbabwe, they were a Zulu tribe that left the tribe due to Shaka's excesses.

Shaka...now there was a guy with some issues.:-"

Here are some others Greaves has written, and all since 2001.

Rorke's Drift
Isandlwana
A Review of the South African Campaign
Forgotten Battles of the Zulu War
Guide to the Battlefields of Zululand
(with David Rattray)

As fate would have it, my children gave me the digitally-remastered, dolby-ramped-up and widescreen DVD version of Zulu for Christmas to replace my worn out VHS, so I've had a real Zulu Holiday.

Now I'll sit back and watch the doco, Pardus. Thanks.

Fascinating part of history. I lived among the Matabele people in Zimbabwe, they were a Zulu tribe that left the tribe due to Shaka's excesses.
I will have to check that book out.

This an interesting doco on the Zulu victory over the British at Isandlwana.

Your knowledge of the history of armed conflict is impressive, @pardus. Thanks very much for adding to my knowledge in this area!

Your knowledge of the history of armed conflict is impressive, @pardus. Thanks very much for adding to my knowledge in this area!

I would love to go to college and major in military history. I've been fascinated by it since I was a little kid.
As soon as I win the lottery...

I would love to go to college and major in military history. I've been fascinated by it since I was a little kid.
As soon as I win the lottery...

I'd love to go with you. Somehow, I think you will be way ahead of me.

If I had only a spear, a cowhide shield and a knobkerrie, I would need THC and magic mushrooms to charge a line of massed Martini-Henry's. I don't think jammed rifles gave the Zulu's the victory at Isandlwanna. Jamming wasn't an issue at Rorke's Drift. I think sheer numbers and tenacity overwhelmed the British here.

Back