HCT so the data was mine, and one of the reports referred to an entirely
different location from Keating. Both my BCT and I know that we did not
"miss" anything. I am relatively certain that the CJTF also feels that
way. Unfortunately, in the end, I think that some other Operations type
guys will pin this as an "intel failure". I would hope that no one on
this forum falls into that trap.

V/R
MAJ XXXX

Damn, I feel for the guy! I've been in similar situations over the years, and he's right - the meat eaters, hand wringers, and chair warmers will blame it on intel. They just don't get it that intel isn't a be all/end all. And they don't like to hear qualifiers like "Possible" or "Probable." I've been involved in some pretty politically hot problems over the years - some for Burgess when he was a mere COL :D and can honestly say that I never reported anything except for what I knew to be certain without qualifying it. I don't want to send a bunch of operators after a target with some distorted/skewed picture of what they're about to run into.

Yep- it's always an "operational success" or "intel failure," it's never the reverse.

If any of you are "plugged-in" right now try and find other SIGACTS from that area. Specifically, a UH-60 shoot-down at the base of the hill Keating is on, across the river from the Mirdish school. O/A 20 July 07. First one to find anything gets a prize.;)
I was the senior IO/SIGINT dude in the N2K at that time. We had TONs of reports from between Dokalam and Barge Matal. Two overrun outposts later (Wygal Jun, 08/Warheight 09) we now admit that is enemy territory?
S-2 needs to look at historical data going back further than the standard 30-60-90-180 day trend. That is a seasonal battlefield. The passes don't thaw sometimes until June. Haji goes to PK to live, train, study, or teach for years at a time. Thus, he falls off the JPEL. That's why this stuff keeps happening. The overelays/targeting matricies get scrubbed and BINGO, Haji is now an ANA CDR. Read the reports today of the OGA Gym at Chapman.

Back