Thinking Red : Professional goals.

GSX - I wouldn't recommend that any NCO avoid/turn down a 1SG job, but once you've run an OMT, then your next logical step IMO, if you have the inclination, is warrant. I had several W01's running my OMTs in Iraq who couldn't find their ass with bogth hands - no experience. I think your route is better. Just keep in mind that as a WO1, you'll be a pretty senior "new guy" and that there may be some frustration that comes with that.

Well that's one goal partly sorted. Got my study leave approved verbally yesterday, now just waiting for the official email.

Quick update: I applied to take the National Certificate in Intelligence Analysis* (which work will pay for) and because I work outside of Intel currently I had to write a spiel about why I wanted to do it. So I was accepted and have to pass an "induction paper" (again because I work outside of Intel).

I got the induction folder the other day...and it looks like the "induction" is actually the basic training for new analysts. So there's a bonus! The stuff on link diagrams/matrices and toll analysis has perked my interest quite a bit in particular.

Fascinating stuff.

* http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/framework/explore/domain.do?frameworkId=75783

Right now there's a question (with no right or wrong answer) detailing your vision for Intelligence. I'm making a case for UAVs and SIGINT right now. So yes, very cool :D

Back