Todd Jarret Shooting tips

• Thread starter Thread starter 8'Duece
  • Start date Start date
Swill said:
He makes it look so easy...

Probably has something to do with the fact that every day for the past 25 years, he wakes up and shoots pistols for 6 hours a day.:D

Probably has something to do with the fact that every day for the past 25 years, he wakes up and shoots pistols for 6 hours a day.:D

I like that statement, and here's why.

Todd Jarret may not have served with any high speed units, Delta, The Jedi, etc, but if Todd can put lead down range as fast he does and not miss his targets then if I where a betting man I'd wager large that he's coming out safe from a gunfight. Assuming he's not shot from behind with a suppressed pistol. ;):D

I hope you don't mind my statement, 82ndtrooper.

I seriously mean no disrespect to this thread, or to Mr. Jarret himself. I've read his material many times online, and his training has been highly coveted for a long time.

I respect and admire him greatly.

My point, simply, is that he has been a world champion repeatedly, therefore by definition the best. Nobody is going to shoot as well as he does, unless you do the same thing he does: train many hours a day, and get sponsors to ship you palettes of ammo.

That's the guy you want to learn from; the pro. Same thing with most material, I'd imagine. Fishing, skydiving, or sailing a ship, you want to learn from the guy who does that individual thing daily.

I can't see the videos, but I know Jarrett has taught at SMUs before. I doubt he's covering the finer points of room clearing, only the shooting techiques that allow one to do so. He's covering the "Techniques", not the "Tactics" or "Procedures" part.

That said, if I had to get in a gunfight with him I'm bringing 10 friends and some long guns. :D

I can't see the videos, but I know Jarrett has taught at SMUs before. I doubt he's covering the finer points of room clearing, only the shooting techiques that allow one to do so.

Yeah, Jarrett is alright, but I think I can take him in a rope climb!:D

Very interesting thread.

First off, the guy can shoot, wow!

I don't necessarily agree with his methods though, not for real world (my real world) anyway.
I tend to agree that the competition shooter, whilst very skilled may not use techniques suited to tactical or defense scenarios.

But then again, we carry empty chamber ;-)

H

I hope you don't mind my statement, 82ndtrooper.

I seriously mean no disrespect to this thread, or to Mr. Jarret himself. I've read his material many times online, and his training has been highly coveted for a long time.

I respect and admire him greatly.

My point, simply, is that he has been a world champion repeatedly, therefore by definition the best. Nobody is going to shoot as well as he does, unless you do the same thing he does: train many hours a day, and get sponsors to ship you palettes of ammo.

That's the guy you want to learn from; the pro. Same thing with most material, I'd imagine. Fishing, skydiving, or sailing a ship, you want to learn from the guy who does that individual thing daily.

None taken.

I believe there are alway's going to be some that will only hold ones experience valuable only if he or she has employed those skills in a real world setting. I understand this, and to some degree I embrace it as well.

Let's look at Todd Jarret and Larry Vickers. Todd and Larry are both heavily involved with IDPA shooting. Larry Vickers is a founding member of IDPA and Todd Jarret is who Larry Vickers learned a great deal from during competitions. Larry took Todds skill sets and employed them into the real world. I don't think anybody would argue that Larry Vickers doesn't know his shit when faced with being on a two way range. I'm not saying Todd Jarret was responible soley for Larry Vickers skill sets, but Todd was surpassing just about everybody in the skills of shooting sports. Almost all pistol shooting skills taught by the high speed low drag guy's have been transferred down from guy's like Todd Jarret and Larry Vickers.

I think you'd get the same response from Larry Vickers and Paul Howe.

Tactics: are based of the environment you are faced with. The amount of threats human & obstacles. Your tactics should always be flexible to the environment you are in. A doctrine tactic is a base to build off of; you have to know some basics to add or alter to your environment…

Technique: is used to produce performance, in this case shooting. Your techniques should be flexible enough to fit your tactics. However, in order to have full flexibility in your tactics, you need to be having more ability in you technique to employ your shooting to be effective in while performing you tactic.

It’s simple, the more you know about shooting (all types of shooting) the better you will be able to employ your weapon in what ever environment you find your self in. Dismissing training as a “non applicable” to my environment is plain stupid… You may not always be in that environment and your environment may change! Mine always does…

Competitive shooters develop skill set through practice and training, they practice to win a match (become the best) Mil and LE develop doctrine skill to a standard though training and practice, the practice to pass a qualification. The smart LE and Mil personal find competitive shooters to train them to (become better) so that they may live through the fight.

I friggin love jarret... not so much blackhawk, im more supportive of the american made manufactures like TT and Diamondback but jarret is a real showman

Jerret is good but some of those SF guys that go through SFAUC look pretty damn good too

Back