Tongues on the Cauc

It's interesting that you brought this up because just yesterday I was reading about the Darial Pass, in East Ossetia-Alania (on the Russian/Georgia border). It is one of only two passes through the Caucasus, so naturally in ancient times everybody funneled through there; Greeks, Romans, Persians, Mongols, Parthians, Alans, etc. No wonder the region is a babble of languages.

For language geeks, the Caucasus are fascinating because of the direct links to ancient languages.

Awesome video. It'd be super useful to learn Georgian or Chechen, but I'm still getting my ass kicked with beginner Russian.

Awesome video. It'd be super useful to learn Georgian or Chechen, but I'm still getting my ass kicked with beginner Russian.

If you learned Turkish, you could communicate with people from the Black Sea (Northern Caucasus) to Western China, except for Tajikistan (Persian-roots).

Cool vid of how massive the Cauc is.

Sorry but the Indo-European language group is clearly the best.

It is certainly the more convenient option to pick in general, and especialy when you grew up in an area where Indo-European languages are spoken. Armenian may be an exception but it's still Indo-European and should be somewhat easier to understand. Without proper teacher and ppl to hang around with, Georgian can be a real nice lady to learn. Even Georgians have a hard time and few actualy apply it properly nowadays.

CHANGE MY MIND

Well. I guess you will realize your folly at the latest when you enter Heaven and learn that God speaks Georgian. :p

That lang sounds crazy!!!!

To make it even more beginner friendly, it is not related with any other language and is one if not arguably the toughest Category IV. Because the ppl who came up with it clearly reasoned: "Screw you, that's why" as demonstrated here:

Back