Tracked Strykers ?

Isn't there a rule about linking to a Sparky page? Hard to take any argument seriously if Sparks is used as a reference.
Reed

Yeah, anyone who links to the douche that calls 113's gavins should just do pushups for... well, till I get tired.

And I don't sleep.

He's also the one that has a brainchild idea of having an entire company worth of soldiers using AH/MH-6'es to infiltrate and exfiltrate from objectives, among other things.

No, not by riding on them, by flying and parking them near the objective.

That guy is a retard and combatreform dot org should automatically give you a 2 week ban here.

And the folding mountain bikes the 82nd should jump in with...

The list of stupid coming from that guy and his "1st Tactical Studies Group (Airborne)" is long and "distinguished".

I liked the 113 mortar platform... 81 or 4deuce (nearly 30* traverse w/o having to track paddle) with an M2 mounted on the turret.... Throw in the Vulcan variant for security, and your gun teams could do a little damage if attacked from ground or air...

stryker_mc_2_of_3.jpg

Just don't let 2/75th call to sign one of these out of your Motor pool. Destroyed the transmission on one of my HMMV's, still don't know how they returned it without anyone noticing. Shit I did the PMCS and the doors were hanging off the hinges and my mirror was missing if I recall. The worst part was I did not find out it was lent out until I was doing the PMCS and was like how the F*#* did this happen?

That's certainly a big "F*** You" to Donald Rumsfeld...which is usually the right answer for most problems involving Rummy.

I do have the impression the Army wants to retun to a big, heavy model and walk away from this nasty COIN "theory" it was "saddled" with for the last decade. I guess if you're incapable of, or unwilling to, learn something new...go with what you know.

Maybe, or it could be the rise of China and Russia giving the US Army the idea that maybe light wheeled will only do so well when faced with massive armored divisions.

The idea of turning the whole Army into a COIN force has always been stupid IMHO, but the thought of a "COIN focused force" going up against a well equipped heavy armor "Cold war" type force, scares the shit out of me.

All the shit talking about 3rd ID and most of the other Mech divisions is all funny, but those Mech units schooled the world in maneuver warfare in 1991 & 2003. I often have wondered how much of that capability has been diminished since the big COIN strategy push over the last decade.

Maybe, or it could be the rise of China and Russia giving the US Army the idea that maybe light wheeled will only do so well when faced with massive armored divisions.

The idea of turning the whole Army into a COIN force has always been stupid IMHO, but the thought of a "COIN focused force" going up against a well equipped heavy armor "Cold war" type force, scares the shit out of me.

All the shit talking about 3rd ID and most of the other Mech divisions is all funny, but those Mech units schooled the world in maneuver warfare in 1991 & 2003. I often have wondered how much of that capability has been diminished since the big COIN strategy push over the last decade.

You'll have no argument from me there because I knew we were screwed once you saw units like the 3rd ID and 1st Armored talking about and conducting COIN. Add to it instances where those same units now find themselves in Afghanistan running MRAPs and we've doubled down on Fail. Where I fault the Army is that 1) Other than a lone voice or two it didn't push back against Rummy's grandiose ideas in Iraq, leaving it with far too few troops to do the job. 2) It never really embraced COIN or attempted to implement it while, near as I can tell, it also failed to maintain the ability to conduct maneuver warfare.

Our military found itself in a war it wasn't prepared for, that it didn't want, and then failed to adequately respond to the challenge. It was put in a very, very bad position, but it also didn't do much to help itself.

One lesson I hope we've learned is that we are really only capable of conducting maneuver warfare. Our political and military system lacks the correct mindset to conduct COIN.

Yeah, anyone who links to the douche that calls 113's gavins should just do pushups for... well, till I get tired.

And I don't sleep.

He's also the one that has a brainchild idea of having an entire company worth of soldiers using AH/MH-6'es to infiltrate and exfiltrate from objectives, among other things.

No, not by riding on them, by flying and parking them near the objective.

That guy is a retard and combatreform dot org should automatically give you a 2 week ban here.

I'm just not feeling the love man.... I was searching for examples of M113 upgrades and they had most inclusive set. I didn't realize that using them would be likely bringing up Army Times in the other bar across the street.

I have been reading those sites/sub-sites/sub-sub-sites since like the late 90's(?). Some of their stuff is really recreational pharmaceutically developed (like the oh-so 1939 combat bicycles) and some interesting.

You'll have no argument from me there because I knew we were screwed once you saw units like the 3rd ID and 1st Armored talking about and conducting COIN. Add to it instances where those same units now find themselves in Afghanistan running MRAPs and we've doubled down on Fail. Where I fault the Army is that 1) Other than a lone voice or two it didn't push back against Rummy's grandiose ideas in Iraq, leaving it with far too few troops to do the job. 2) It never really embraced COIN or attempted to implement it while, near as I can tell, it also failed to maintain the ability to conduct maneuver warfare.

Our military found itself in a war it wasn't prepared for, that it didn't want, and then failed to adequately respond to the challenge. It was put in a very, very bad position, but it also didn't do much to help itself.

One lesson I hope we've learned is that we are really only capable of conducting maneuver warfare. Our political and military system lacks the correct mindset to conduct COIN.
We were screwed when big Army failed to understand that Iraq and Afghanistan needed different skill sets. We have a war and everyone gets to play, doesn't matter if they are equipped/trained, they get to go.

We send Light units to fight a Mech/Urban war in Iraq and Mech Units to fight a light/medium war in Afghanistan. Fail!

A unit deploys to the same country multiple times, but never to the same part of that country. Fail!

But hey, everyone (especially Bde/Bn Cdrs) gets a bullet on their performance reports.

Back