TReMoR 2 Reticle

Piston guns (SCAR), especially when suppressed, get so hot in the hand guard that you have to wear gloves to shoot them.

Don't you mean NON piston guns?

The hot gas stops at the distal end of the piston therefore keeping the forearm and bolt cool unlike direct impingement guns.

No, I mean piston guns. The heat stops in the piston, which is right under your support hand. SCARs in particular get very hot near the front sight when you shoot them suppressed.

No, I mean piston guns. The heat stops in the piston, which is right under your support hand. SCARs in particular get very hot near the front sight when you shoot them suppressed.

Interesting, I've never noticed that in a piston gun. Ive also never used a SCAR, let alone suppressed.

That's very interesting to me as well. In your experience, does that happen only when suppressed and is it unique to the SCAR? I've got a lot of rounds through LWRCi rifles, and never noticed a heat buildup. But then again, I don't shoot suppressed and that changes the dynamics of the gas discharge considerably.

A suppresser being used at high rates of fire is going to make any gun run hotter due to the gases being trapped in the bore/suppresser longer. Pistons disperse gas and heat at the gas port, which is normally under the hand guards for most piston shoulder fired rifles. This leads to the hand guards feeling hotter as Etype pointed out. It just as common with the M249 and the M240, the front ends start glowing hot and the heat is much more intense around the gas tube/gas port.

Piston guns (SCAR), especially when suppressed, get so hot in the hand guard that you have to wear gloves to shoot them. My hand is never over the bolt so it doesn't matter when I shoot gas direct guns- it's all a tradeoff. Piston guns also have "push-pull" recoil because of the greater reciprocating mass- slower to shoot.

As for the Tremor, the H-58 is awesome, and it's basically an H-58 ver 2.0- awesomer. It would be great if we started getting Nightforce optics with H-58 or Tremors on the SPRs.

That's why the SCAR sucks when it comes to follow on shot's because the damn thing is so unpredictable. But I love the way the REPR holds are group. The Tremor on the SAS is a bad ass combo though. I shot it for a few days and fell in love with it. Were supposed to be getting Schmidt-Bender scopes with the Tremor 2 in it but we'll see.

We received (4) SCAR-Hs prior to this last trip, other than one day on the range they stayed in their cases. Despise the weapon from the folding stock to the reciprocating charging handle to its inaccuracy.

I am not a fan of the SASS/M110 as it comes either. DMR rifle possibly, a Sniper rifle not in the least.

I can't justify a 7.62 gun over a 5.56 in any capacity. 150m of extra supersonic range isn't enough to warrant a 3x weight in ammo and 25-50% in the weapon itself.

I do however, love the Mk13 with the Nightforce w/Horus reticle (H37 I think it is). It's one of the more basic Horus reticles, but its still outstanding and a huge step up from the mildot. That's why I'd love to use the tremor, it seems like a better mousetrap. Some dudes are intimidated by the Horus reticle and the equations that go with it, but don't be- they are all simplified to mental math and easy muscle memory.

Another word on Horus reticles- If you use them in a lower powered scope (Blackbird or especially Talon), they don't seem so hot since it is hard to see the definition of the reticle. Once you get into the 15+ power range, they really start to shine and you reap a lot of benefit from them. They take a lot of the targeting errors out of the equation and it comes down to your fundamentals. It's also very beneficial to have a Horus reticle in your spotting scope, it's almost like cheating when you are shooting a school house style range or competition.

Another thing- on a 20"x40" target at 800m, a .1 mil ranging error or 1 MPH wind read error equals a miss- it's a mathematical fact. With a reticle that has .2 mil graduations, a miss high or low is inexcusable.

In regard to the optics, I'm still of the school of thought that Bic lighters can be a lifesaver if you have one and it has fuel and the right conditions to start a fire; however, I still know how to start a fire without one. A Sniper should be able to get iron sights doped in and use them effectively at distances beyond the DM for any enemy. I like the simplicity and accuracy of the mil dot reticle with it's clear field of view compared to other scopes with too much garbage in my FOV. Windage and hold off are talents acquired by hours on the range and in the field by the shooter/spotter, not something that can IMO be truly effectively built into any scope that requires use in various terrains, especially for those not afforded proper range time.

In regard to the dislike for the SCAR, this might shed some light on a solution for some on here. The team is not mentioned for OPSEC of course.

"My unit (USN SEAL element) was deployed to a very active combat area where we encountered frequent contacts with the enemy. When we were engaged, we returned fire using our assigned FN SCAR "heavy" rifles (Mk-17). During these engagements, we encountered a too common malfunction which prevented semi-auto firing and we would have to manually cycle the bolt in between successful shots. We tried cleaning with our petroleum CLP, but this did not eliminate the malfunctions. An operator in our unit recommended we try FrogLube. We started by applying some lube to the rails of the SCARs. Immediately after we began using the FrogLube, the malfunctions disappeared & the guns just ran without a problem. I strongly recommend switching to FrogLube as the only weapons care product for combat units."

"Huck"
USN SEAL

I'd have to disagree, on the ranging specifically. You can take a lot of the art out of it and make it science. However, the lowest common denominator on any shot is still going to be fundamentals, which brings us back to the range.

I guess I need to clarify with I don't see taking someone who isn't a full time shooter and putting a scope on a rifle that will make a 1000m shot for them. You can take a lot of the "guess work" out in some areas, but by and large it is ultimately the shooter using the gear that has to calculate range based on many variables that a scope can't figure out for you on distance shots. Again, my opinion but I'm stubborn that way.

My opinion on the Horus reticle would probably be a little different if I had more time behind one, but my limited experience (and it was only used out to 600yds) is that the reticle was too busy for my liking. I absolutely agree with Head Shot on having proficiency in the basics before getting introduced to the equipment that simplify the tasks, much like being able to navigate by a compass, map or terrain prior to being given a GPS.

That said I am not against new kit that makes the job easier, but I am kind of picky on what that kit is. I like an open field of view in my reticle as well, mainly because that is what I have used for 10 years and what I am comfortable using. The Horus seemed like a neat concept until I got behind it and I quickly become uncomfortable with the grid blocking out the field of view. Probably just need more time to become comfortable with it, but I may need to get with the program and get spun up before I fall behind the curve at this point. As it seems most everyone is going to the Horus now.

I'd have to disagree, on the ranging specifically. You can take a lot of the art out of it and make it science. However, the lowest common denominator on any shot is still going to be fundamentals, which brings us back to the range.
I have to disagree with you on the ranging. If you look at the reticle it's got lines in the shape of a chevron (left, right, and top legs of reticle). These chevron's allow accurate milling withing .1 mils. I have seen multiple brand new team guys begin milling and engaging accurately within 2 days. These are guys that I never would have believed would have been able to pass SFSC but because it simplified it so much, it was cake.

Why would it take 2 days? You should be able to mil and range in 10 minutes with a Horus. I'm not familiar with the Tremor, just the H58 and the H37 (which is in the new Mk13)- these both have .2 mil graduations, which make .1 mil measurements possible (it's either on the line or between them).

Why would it take 2 days? You should be able to mil and range in 10 minutes with a Horus. I'm not familiar with the Tremor, just the H58 and the H37 (which is in the new Mk13)- these both have .2 mil graduations, which make .1 mil measurements possible (it's either on the line or between them).
The Tremor 2 is an upgrade to the Horus reticle. In fact below 10 mils it is a horus reticle. If you want to see it for yourself just go on www.horusvision.com and you can see it.

I spoke to Todd at length yesterday. This came up in conversation and he highly recommend the Tremor 2. But after all he was heavily involved in designing it. I currently a run a H37 on my AI gun and have been exceptional happy with it. I absolutely love Horus! My new goal (dream gun) is to secure a OBR and mount this newest design Tremor on it. Of course after I get my 6.5 x 47 Lapua running correctly.

I spoke to Todd at length yesterday. This came up in conversation and he highly recommend the Tremor 2. But after all he was heavily involved in designing it. I currently a run a H37 on my AI gun and have been exceptional happy with it. I absolutely love Horus! My new goal (dream gun) is to secure a OBR and mount this newest design Tremor on it. Of course after I get my 6.5 x 47 Lapua running correctly.
The OBR with a Bushnell HDMR w/tremor reticle would be pretty awesome. I'm looking into the same setup.

The OBR with a Bushnell HDMR w/tremor reticle would be pretty awesome. I'm looking into the same setup.

Good call! I saw the new Bushnell line last year at the 2011 SHOTSHOW on the range day. SOCCOM has been testing them as well and the feed back has been exceptional from what I'm told. Their quality control and product line is fantastic. I was shocked at the clarity, durability and and overall quality.

Next week I'm taking delivery on a OBR for T&E in 308 with a 16 inch barrel. Can't wait, I spoke to Freddie today on shipping from LaRue. I'll give you heads up after the testing.

Back