Trying this GOLO diet. WARNING Increases your blood pressure to the point of hospitalization.

Not sure about the carbs. I think it was 23? Unless that was the atkins diet. I've been on so many diets that didn't work I can't keep up.

Atkins was an early type of consumer keto diet.

I think the most important thing for people is to get healthy is to develop the mindset that you aren't on a diet, but that you are fundamentally changing you eating habit so that good choices become second nature.
It's the difference between working out so you can run a 5K versus working out every day to maintain your physical health.

The big rule is cutting sugar, refined foods, and junk snacking.

Myself, @Polar Bear, @CupCake, and whoever's else on the board might have specific differences in our intake, but I bet we all (generally) follow that rule.

I do really good with "pretty much paleo".
Meat, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts, i add whey protein post workout and casein before bed with almond milk. It helped give me perspective on whole foods nutritional value vs processed foods. I can eat 4-5 granny smith apples or 2 pop tarts.

Are you going to use a calorie counter app?

Something that I've stuck with as well as have seen a lot of success with, the less touched the better. Though that's old knowledge. Luckily I'm in a state that permits unpasteurized cow milk; I think I'm getting around 55% calories from that now. Pretty amazing stuff. The rest is meats and fruits/veggies. Not a slouch on carbs, but in my mind they are definitely more of a "treat".

As I posted elsewhere, I'm on a keto diet. I dropped 30 pounds in about 3 months. I try to stay under 30 net grams of carbs per day. If you eat just eggs with butter or avacado for breakfast you now have 30-ish net carbs for your next two meals. Dietary fiber is a big problem with a keto diet, so I use fiber supplements since beans are out. I don't count calories or workout though the latter is about to go away because it needs to happen regardless.

A typical day looks like:

Breakfast- 3 eggs w/ ham and cheese. Maybe bacon or an avacado if I have one.
Lunch - Chicken breast/ thigh and a salad. Lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, sometimes broccoli, cucumbers, sometimes cheese, olives, and whatever dressing. Alternatively I'll skip the chicken and make "sandwich rolls" of roast beef, cheese, turkey, mustard, and mayo plus a small salad.
Dinner - More variation here. Philly cheese steaks w/o bread, eggs, a can of tuna w/ mayo and olive oil, keto-friendly chicken cordon bleu, ground beef w/ taco seasoning, etc. I usually make a "salad" out of tomatoes, cucumber, black olives, green olives, feta cheese, and a salad dressing like a balsamic vinegrette, Greek salad dressing, etc. Another favorite is tomatoes, onion, bacon, mayo, and vinegar.

My keto flu lasted about 2 weeks and was nothing more than a sporty headache at the base of my skkull. My wife had it pretty bad w/ headaches and malaise. Carb cravings come and go, but no lie I've had a couple of meals where I wanted to pull my hair out. Standing the DFAC w/ chicken tenders AND tater tots at breakfast? I had to become a man of focus, commitment, and sheer fucking will.

In addition to the weight loss, my BP has significantly dropped. I'm off one med and down to half a dose of the other. I can drink coffee again, but not rum and coke or mojitos. Fortunately, whiskey is an option on keto.

Is it for everyone? Probably not. Is it easier than I thought? Yes. Has it worked better than I expected? Yes. Even if I plateau out now, I'm down 30 lbs. plus the BP, so I've set myself up for success. A keto diet is also forcing me to eat better even if I have to kind of plan for the right foods so my vitamin and mineral intake isn't disrupted.

However you go, good luck.

As I posted elsewhere, I'm on a keto diet. I dropped 30 pounds in about 3 months. I try to stay under 30 net grams of carbs per day. If you eat just eggs with butter or avacado for breakfast you now have 30-ish net carbs for your next two meals. Dietary fiber is a big problem with a keto diet, so I use fiber supplements since beans are out. I don't count calories or workout though the latter is about to go away because it needs to happen regardless.

I found the best way to deal with this on carnivore is to not have any at all. The benefit of a highly soluble diet is that it doesn't produce any waste to need to worry about "dietary fiber."

I bought some ketone esters. A bit on the expensive side, but easy enough to microdose during the transition. When I had to re-introduce carbs into my diet leading up to my kilimanjaro hike, this technique really helped get me back on track

I'm back on keto and I found the best way, for me, to avoid the flu was to put a good amount of lo salt into a beer flagon then fill that with water and plow away on that for the first week or so while also making sure my protein intake was high.
This is key.

A large cause for the 'flu' is similar to what causes hangovers - a combination of sudden water and electrolyte loss.

In the States, sodium chloride is the most easily found electrolyte combination and the least likely to be in chronic deficit prior to water loss-related factors. Salt intake averages range from 2-3 times the recommended daily intake, while potassium and magnesium average at 50%.

Certainly add salt to food and water (and definitely soups and broths) when eating a heavily reduced carb diet or fasting outright - not too much for the latter, though. Past a certain amount and the water won't even get absorbed and will function more like a poor man's Golytely to flush right through your pipes, leaving you even more dehydrated and electrolyte-deficient than you started.

It is very helpful to add a daily multivitamin that includes a good amount of magnesium and calcium, which isn't hard to find. I'd recommend the same for potassium, but there aren't very many high-concentration tablet forms that seem available - but there is a very simple and predictably under advertised solution I ferreted out few years back.

Remember the yellow raincoat girl on the dark-blue Morton's Salt containers? Look for her cousins: Morton's Lite Salt (sky-blue bottom half, dark-blue top half - or just all sky-blue) and Morton's Salt Substitute* (all dark-blue).

Morton's Lite Salt is a very accessible source of potassium and does the job swimmingly while directly reducing your salt intake (with no difference in taste). It cuts your sodium intake from 575mg to 300mg per 1/4 teaspoon and supplements it with a potassium increase from 0mg to 360mg in the same measure. In short, one teaspoon of the regular version gives you 100% RDI for sodium and nothing else, while one teaspoon of the Lite version gives you ~52% RDI (based on 2300mg RDI) for sodium and ~30% RDI (based on 4700mg RDI) for potassium.

With two teaspoons spread through the day, you've got your sodium covered and 60% of your potassium covered, and if you're drinking as much water as you should be, you could probably afford to work in one more teaspoon throughout the day for good measure. It's still certainly safer than what people conventionally do with even more teaspoons containing twice the amount of sodium in each.

* Morton's Salt Substitute is a more dramatic option, with 0mg of sodium and 690mg of potassium per 1/4 teaspoon - or almost 60% in one teaspoon. This is great if you are watching your salt intake and want a useful low-calorie source for potassium. However, I'd personally limit my usage of this to a single-serving supplement to the Lite Salt, as sodium deficiency and potassium overdose is an easily overlooked risk if you go into consumption autopilot and compulsively start using this in place of salt - low-carb dieting or not.

Remember the yellow raincoat girl on the dark-blue Morton's Salt containers? Look for her cousins: Morton's Lite Salt (sky-blue bottom half, dark-blue top half - or just all sky-blue) and Morton's Salt Substitute* (all dark-blue).

I saw a meme for this the other day, but can't find it now. Being a Kiwi, he most probably will have ever heard of Morton's Salt before. We've heard of Ford, Nike and McDonalds, pretty much every other US brand is totally unknown to the rest of the world. You guys are the bubble boys of the human race.

We're also 50 years behind developmentally if you listen to @digrar

Turns out the brand I use is Mrs Rogers. I only use it at the start of keto runs and I make sure to get some mushrooms for potassium in after I finish using the lo salt.

Seems like a lot of effort for the salt and potassium thing. For the first year doing zero carb, my doctor had me doing blood work pretty often to make sure everything was good. I am still pretty lazy with this way of eating and supplement nothing.

With only eating eggs, bacon, and ribeye; my comprehensive metabolic panel is always all normal. The electrolytes are all within normal range. My lipid panel would probably worry people at first look because people still don't understand what HDL and LDL are, but my triglycerides are double digits.

I'd just say that before you start supplementing, you should see if you are actually deficient in whatever you are trying to take.

In general I agree, but in this case I'd hesitate to call taking a multivitamin and switching table salts 'supplementing', or a 'lot of effort' when it amounts to taking the same amount of a different kind of salt..

Back