Turning skin into blood

LimaOscarSierraTango

Infantry
Verified Military
I wonder how long the process takes and how much skin is needed for one pint of blood. This is potentially a Nobel Prize worthy breakthrough!

In an important breakthrough, scientists at McMaster University have discovered how to make human blood from adult human skin.

The discovery, published in the prestigious science journal Nature today, could mean that in the foreseeable future people needing blood for surgery, cancer treatment or treatment of other blood conditions like anemia will be able to have blood created from a patch of their own skin to provide transfusions. Clinical trials could begin as soon as 2012.

Mick Bhatia, scientific director of McMaster's Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute in the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, and his team of researchers have also shown that the conversion is direct. Making blood from skin does not require the middle step of changing a skin stem cell into a pluripotent stem cell that could make many other types of human cells, then turning it into a blood stem cell.

"We have shown this works using human skin. We know how it works and believe we can even improve on the process," said Bhatia. "We'll now go on to work on developing other types of human cell types from skin, as we already have encouraging evidence."

The discovery was replicated several times over two years using human skin from both young and old people to prove it works for any age of person.

SOURCE

I read about it in the morning paper today and was hoping to find a link to a medical paper on it for more info but couldn't. What will those crazy Canucks come up with next... ;)

When the Canukistanis can turn skin into beer I'll be impressed.

No need for blood product substitutes if this can be scaled up. The implications across medicine are huge.

Back