Two 2/75 Rangers and one CST soldier KIA in Afghanistan

Sgt. First Class Kristoffer B. Domeij was killed in Khandahar province on a combat operation by an IED. Domeij was on his 14th combat deployment with a total deployed time of 48 months cumulatively since 2002. At 29, having enlisted in 2001, this man had spent the balance of his adult life as a professional soldier. Also killed in Saturday's blast were First Lieutenant Ashley White, 24, a Cultural Support Team member, and fellow Ranger Private First Class Christopher A. Horns, 20, who was on his first combat deployment.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

RIP. Thoughts and prayers out to those with whom the soliders served, and to their families and friends back at home.

RLTW.

RIP brother.

This summer I got together with another Ranger from 2C and were telling stories from years ago. We were both SGTs at the time and Domeij was a cherry FO who was saddled with putting together some PPTs for mission briefings on 2/75's first trip to A'stan in 2002. As per SOP, some slides made their way into the presentations that would get commanders relieved in this day and age. I don't remember much about Domeij as he was a new guy in weapons platoon and I was a TL upstairs. What I do know is that he was one hell of a Ranger as witnessed by all the news reports and from stories relayed from other Rangers. I got out of the Army later that year. My bud stuck around for a couple more years then did the same. Domeij stuck around and did a lot of great things. When people who never served question our men and women in uniform, I point them in the direction of soldiers like the ones who died on the objective on this day in 2011.

RIP SFC Kristoffer Domeij, PFC Chris Horns, and 1LT Ashley White.

Written by Ranger Kris Domeij's Gold Star mother:

Love and Loss: Dreading Memorial Day

Once upon a time, I didn’t fully grasp the suffering, the struggle and the deeper meaning of Memorial Day. Six months after my son was killed, the devastation of my shattered heart declared the true meaning of Memorial Day — honoring the sacrifice of Our Fallen. I grappled with irritation toward others. Glib “Happy Memorial Day” comments on Facebook dug into a longing for others to understand what this day truly means. Don’t you get it? People died for you and for the freedoms you take for granted.

1590351148163.png

Back