Two divers are found dead 300 feet underwater in the 'Mount Everest of cave systems' that has killed

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
Other than some recreational diving while I was in Okinawa, my experience is pretty limited. Any of you guys ever dive here?

From what I've read, the two who died were not amateurs and were found near each other. Fucked up way to go.

Two divers' bodies recovered in Florida's 'dangerous and complex' caves | Daily Mail Online

95CAEB2B-45C9-4E8D-9DF5-0CFBF735CA3A_zpsk0lmdouy.jpeg

Not a diver, but found this to be a fascinating story. It goes into cave diving and wreck diving plus a lot of the science behind them. I thought it was worth a read. Very well written.

Out of Their Depth

Not a diver, but found this to be a fascinating story. It goes into cave diving and wreck diving plus a lot of the science behind them. I thought it was worth a read. Very well written.

Out of Their Depth

Scary stuff.

Have you read Shadow Divers? Great read if you (or anyone else) is interested in wreck diving. I got to meet John Chatterton, Richie Kohler, and Mike Norwood (RIP) through my dad and they were nice guys.

Not my words - but from a poster on another board where they are having the same discussion. I've interacted with him enough to believe he is not making up what he says. The few times I tried spelunking I realized the only thing I hated more than standing on the edge of a mountain looking down, was being squeezed into a cave and having to wiggle my way thru. Under water? Forget about it!

I don't really know what any of this means, but considering the amount of guys here that are experienced divers, I am really interested in your opinions on this one.
__
Both guys were pretty experienced cave divers. They were diving Closed Circuit Rebreathers (JJ-RB's, from what I understand, for those that care)

From what I have been told, they were on scooters, lots of stage bottles and they were going pretty far in. When found, one guy was on the ceiling without any gear and all the bail-out bottles were empty. They have not found the scooters or the one guys RB.

Speculation: they did not have enough bailout gas, one guy had issues and the burned through all of their gas on the way out. For some reason there are a lot of RB divers that never anticipate having more than one problem. Both guys were possibly coming out on Open Circuit which caused the lack of adequate back-up gas.

Eagles Nest is not a particularly "tough" cave, very low flow and normally clear, but it is deep, and deep is very unforgiving. And lots of silt on the floor, so one mistake you can black it out pretty quick. I have not dove this cave but I understand it is a lot like Peacock, that I have done.(low flow, very silty).

Cave diving is no joke. Redundancy and keen nav skills are required. I still don't understand the logic. No lobster or fish to shoot.

Humans have an innate desire to explore. It's one of the things that have made us successful. The only logic needed is that they "haven't been there before."

BTDT myself. Made some dives for exploratory sake that were inherently dangerous. To each his own. Condolences to the families of these divers. Sad day.

Humans have an innate desire to explore. It's one of the things that have made us successful. The only logic needed is that they "haven't been there before."

"Because it's there."
-George Mallory

There are well known dangers of high altitude climbing. Once you climb above 8,000 meters, your body begins to die. Even with bottled oxygen, you are still dying. The reason is the partial pressure of oxygen is not enough to supply oxygen to all the bodies tissues. To survive you need a pressure suit. For safe high altitude climbs, you need a base camp to make decisions for climbers, and the climbers need to do as they are told. Brain swelling, and pulmonary edema will happen to everyone if they stay above 8,000 meters long enough.

I am not a deep water diver. My dives were all made in chamber rides for medical reasons, Medical Hyperbaric Chamber Dives. The risks at depth are the opposite of high altitude climbs. At depth, the partial pressure of inhaled gasses climbs. The greater the partial pressure is, the more inhaled gases will be dissolved by force, into the circulating blood serum. The first worry is Nitrogen that is found in compressed air. With the increased partial pressure of the nitrogen in common air supply, the result is nitrogen narcosis. The result is like drinking a bottle of Bushmills on the way down, and it can kill you. Deeper down, Oxygen itself becomes a problem. As the partial pressure of Oxygen rises, so does the risk of Oxygen reaching toxic levels. The most common result is Gran Mal Seizures. Every dive I went on was with patients on oxygen, and the worry was always toxic levels of Oxygen. We had all decisions made outside the chamber. Each med we gave was watched, and triple checked with staff outside the chamber. I think the divers need the same links I had during chamber rides, and the high altitude climbers have with a base camp making calls. The other problem is the air mixtures divers are using at depth: The Search for the Perfect Gas. Again, I am not a certified diver, just a chamber diver, but; even using the Dragger rebreather systems, I have to wonder if the partial pressure of rebreather oxygen is too high?

I am sorry to hear of the loss of the divers.

Last edited:
Pure O2 as the breathing media becomes toxic after 60ft(each diver is different). The LARV is 100% O2. Usually dives were limited to 30 ft but bounce dives were authorized to 60ft for mission requirements. Now the Navy is using Nitrox to deal with the PP of the breathing media to elongate dive times and relieve possible symptoms of exposure at depth. Your alcohol theory at depth I have proven. At the Escape training tank we would drop down to the 120ft blister and take a few hits off a vodka flask. Instant buzz. Good times

Wonder what thier dive profiles were, breathing media, equipment, etc. Narced out at 120 for experienced divers is extremely manageable. All the other scenerios buy the "experts" in the piece are talking textbook basic SCUBA issues. These dudes were at the top of thier game I would suggest Murphys Laws of Diving.

I know nothing of diving but why not use rope to trace your path? If it is known to be that dangerous. 550 cord.

Rope and a backup spool or reel is cave/enclosed space diving 101. This could be a rec dive gone bad. Serious caverns are technical divers. Very vague story diving wise.

Pure O2 as the breathing media becomes toxic after 60ft(each diver is different). The LARV is 100% O2. Usually dives were limited to 30 ft but bounce dives were authorized to 60ft for mission requirements. Now the Navy is using Nitrox to deal with the PP of the breathing media to elongate dive times and relieve possible symptoms of exposure at depth. Your alcohol theory at depth I have proven. At the Escape training tank we would drop down to the 120ft blister and take a few hits off a vodka flask. Instant buzz. Good times

Aye, me Lad. Tis a shame indeed that ye took not a dram of good Irish Whiskey with ye. The words that would a roiled off yer tongue would 'ave been Heaven sent indeed;-).

Thanks for the info on your dive mixtures.

I'd appreciate your thoughts Re: Draager rebreather systems, with the CO 2 scrubbers, at the depth these guys were diving to.

Scary stuff.

Have you read Shadow Divers? Great read if you (or anyone else) is interested in wreck diving. I got to meet John Chatterton, Richie Kohler, and Mike Norwood (RIP) through my dad and they were nice guys.

I think I have, but I'm not sure. It is one of those topics that fascinates me, but I don't know if I'd ever try it.

Getting on a sub is easy. Locking in/out, doing a SEP13 and playing with SDV while moving at 2 knots on the back of one...that's pure FUN!

Back