Two divers are found dead 300 feet underwater in the 'Mount Everest of cave systems' that has killed

I don't have many outright fears. My list of "NOOOOPPPPEEEE" inducing activities is quite short. My only phobia is very specific- drowning in a pipe or tunnel. So pretty much cave diving. I would rather jump a 240 onto a hostile airfield without a reserve than do that.

If I was going to "cave dive" Florida would be the last place on Earth I would do it.

First of all, calling it a cave is a misnomer because it conjures up the impression of some structural solidity. It's a fuckin sinkhole. There's no supporting rock here. The whole goddam peninsula sits on karst limestone that can dissolve from water circulation. And you want to go 300 feet down? WTF.

Last edited:
I am a diver. A very experienced diver. But not in a million years would be a cave diver. I don't know if they are brave or stupid or a bit of both.

I like diving, in the open ocean, with experienced guides, in warm water with lots of pretty things to look at. Diving in confined spaces gets my heart rate up just thinking about it. I guess it is all about conditioning yourself to normal.

I am open water certified, and did not enjoy my night dives at all.
I agree with @TLDR20 that open ocean, warm water great visibility is the way to go.
Like @Polar Bear said, where was the rope/cord that they should have had?
I have minimal wreck diving experience, but the pros tell me they trail a line through the more challenging wrecks to ensure they can get back when the silt stirs.

My wife and I used to do a lot of caving in college and our first couple of years in the Army. Oftentimes, we got to where we couldn't push the cave anymore because we ran into water. I wanted to dive those spots, but couldn't get anyone to do it with me so I never did it.

A couple of decades ago during my wife's open-water certification training, I had the opportunity to do some cavern diving while ,y wife's group was getting certified (cavern diving = you can still see daylight, vs. cave diving = complete darkness). It was an utterly disorienting experience. It was hard to tell which way was up, and which way was out. Fortunately, it was daylight so it was easy to follow the light out, plus there were several large fish hanging out in the bottom of the cavern, so I used them as a point of reference to orient myself towards "up." There was also a pretty strong current flowing out of the cave, and no silt. At about 30' down, no real risk of narcosis either.

I can only imagine what it's like in the dark, running low on air, zero viz, and something goes wrong.

I can only imagine what it's like in the dark, running low on air, zero viz, and something goes wrong.

Terrifying. There is a reason our combatant diver courses (BUD/S, SFUWO, whatever the AF does) are so insanely difficult. Comfort in the water is something that can only be learned through stress in the water. I used to surf, a lot. I have been held down a pretty long time, I grew comfortable with that after a certain point. You know your limits, and stay within them. Well as I became more comfortable and started riding bigger waves, eventually you can have the wind knocked out of you when you go over the falls, then you are down that terryfiying 15-25 seconds in the dark with no breath. Things escalate quickly in the water.

Saddened for the family's of the dead divers, but this is one of the more interesting group of responses I've seen in a thread - amazing insight!

Thinking through this ignorant wretch's understanding of diving it reminds me of a question posed by one of my skydiving instructors:

How long do you have to clear a malfunction?

The rest of your life.

Blue Skies

Terrifying. There is a reason our combatant diver courses (BUD/S, SFUWO, whatever the AF does) are so insanely difficult. Comfort in the water is something that can only be learned through stress in the water. I used to surf, a lot. I have been held down a pretty long time, I grew comfortable with that after a certain point. You know your limits, and stay within them. Well as I became more comfortable and started riding bigger waves, eventually you can have the wind knocked out of you when you go over the falls, then you are down that terryfiying 15-25 seconds in the dark with no breath. Things escalate quickly in the water.

Not a graduate of BUDS or a combat diver school, I did attend a couple diver recovery/rescue schools when I was on a technical rescue team. Very physical, but also quite mental...blacked out masks, underwater obstacle courses, etc.

On my first dive in a lake looking for a tossed handgun used in a murder, zero visibility, and all sorts of things grabbing at me (debris), I understood why the training was the way it was.

I've explored numerous caves here in TN and I've gotten into diving them in the last year. The entire concept of being squeezed into a small space below ground is fun but panic inducing. So is being underwater for extended periods of time. I pretty much see it as combining two things I enjoy while expanding my comfort zones. It's generally pretty safe around here because the limestone beds are typically quiet dense and structurally safe for the most part. Silt is the sketchy part because blackouts are a very real thing. We haul silt stakes and lines with us anytime we go under so getting lost isn't a huge concern, but the thought is always in the back of your mind. I don't know anyone who uses a closed circuit, but I could see the advantages on +1000m dives.

Not a graduate of BUDS or a combat diver school, I did attend a couple diver recovery/rescue schools when I was on a technical rescue team. Very physical, but also quite mental...blacked out masks, underwater obstacle courses, etc.

On my first dive in a lake looking for a tossed handgun used in a murder, zero visibility, and all sorts of things grabbing at me (debris), I understood why the training was the way it was.

Of the NC tech rescue specialties, dive is close to being last on the "things I want to do" list...
(I don't doubt the utility of the training, just not my thing.)

<Copied from the Cave Divers Forum>

STATEMENT OF FACTS

1. Chris Rittenmeyer and Patrick Peacock started a dive at Eagle's Nest around 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 15, 2016. They were on JJ-CCRs with 95cf sidemount bailouts. Each diver had a scooter and an AL80 safety. They also towed a backup scooter. They had placed all their deco safeties in the cave the day before.

2. Chris and Patrick were both fully trained as Full Cave, Trimix, CCR, and DPV divers. Both divers had years of ocean and cave diving experience.

3. When the divers failed to return to deco at the anticipated time, their surface support buddy checked every 30 minutes until they were several hours overdue. Their buddy called Cave Country Dive Shop around 6:00 p.m. and spoke to Jon Bernot, who immediately loaded his vehicle and started driving to Eagle's Nest. While enroute, Jon called around and activated a response team of qualified and available cave divers.

4. Search Team 1, of Jon Bernot and Charlie Roberson, got underway around 11:00 p.m. to search the upstream passage, which was the dive plan according to the buddy. Team 1 checked the habitat and spotted three O2 bottles at 20 ffw, four 50% at 70 ffw, and two 120 bottles on the top of the mound, all of which were untouched. Team 1 noticed that the 120 bottles were on the downstream side of the line but decided to go ahead and check the upstream since that was believed to be the dive plan. Team 1 scoured the entire upstream all the way to the far reaches of the Green Room, King's Challenge, and all the large passage and rooms. When Team I failed to find anything upstream, they proceeded to check the Lockwood tunnel to no avail. Team 1 surfaced around 3:30 a.m.

5. Search Team 2, of Ted McCoy and AJ Gonzales, got underway around 3:45 a.m. and headed downstream. They immediately found the two bodies on the exit side of the Pit in approximately 220-230 ffw. Team 2 fully documented the scene and took detailed notes for about 45 minutes before exiting.

6. Diver 1 was wearing his CCR but his bailouts were not in place. One empty 95 bailout was beside him and attached to his rig via a QC6 and the long hose was deployed. His loop was open and out of his mouth. The inhale side of the loop was crushed. He had 300 psi of O2 but no onboard diluent remaining. He did have a 13cf inflation bottle with gas remaining. He had no primary light head and his backup lights were not deployed. There was a single scooter near Diver 1 but it was unclipped and turned off.

7. Diver 2 was only wearing a drysuit, mask and fins and was positively buoyant. He had a backup light clipped off and dangling out of his pocket. No other bottles were nearby.

8. A full AL80 safety was located just on the exit side of the Pit restriction in 270 ffw but was not easily seen on the way out. The primary light head with e/o cord was also located on the exit side of the Pit restriction. Their other full AL80 safety was located beside another team’s full safety just downstream of the jump to the Lockwood tunnel.

9. Two 95 bailouts were located just on the far side of the Pit. Both were empty.

10. Recovery Team 1 brought both bodies to the top of the Ballroom and Recovery Team 2 brought both bodies to the surface on Sunday afternoon.

11. Diver 2's CCR, a 95 bailout, and two scooters were located on Monday morning just outside the restriction to Revelation Space in the Room of Dreams. The CCR loop was closed and appeared to be fully operational. The 95 bailout was full. Diver 2 had video lights for a GoPro plugged into his canister light.

12. The gear recovery team of Jon Bernot and James Draker removed all the gear from the cave and turned it over to law enforcement on Monday, October 17, 2016.

4. Search Team 1, of Jon Bernot and Charlie Roberson, got underway around 11:00 p.m. to search the upstream passage, which was the dive plan according to the buddy.

5. Search Team 2, of Ted McCoy and AJ Gonzales, got underway around 3:45 a.m. and headed downstream. They immediately found the two bodies on the exit side of the Pit in approximately 220-230 ffw.

Death in many activities is caused by a chain of events. Break the chain and live. I have to wonder, if this was the chain's beginning. "Plan the dive, dive the plan" was always our mantra. Even something as "safe" as skydiving has rules to follow. Don't make up stuff as the dive progresses. Like Leeroy Jenkins, you should stick to the plan.

We'll never know why, but I have to wonder if that started the fatal afternoon.

3. When the divers failed to return to deco at the anticipated time, their surface support buddy checked every 30 minutes until they were several hours overdue.

Several hours? What does that mean? I know nothing about diving. What does it mean that their "surface support buddy checked every 30 minutes"? What did he check? Was he able to communicate with them? And if so, wouldn't he be a little concerned if he got no reply or response after considerably less time that "several hours"?

Several hours means they were already dead. Sad. To me it sounds of a equipment failures, a bail out of one rig and an attempt to find the surface. I hate to say it but panic ensued. Buoyant means weight dropped and last gasp. I don't think these fella realized thier depth at this point. I wasn't even there so I can only speculate. I feel sadness for the whole affair.

I used to be a member of the National Speleological Society (NSS), and their monthly(?) publication included summaries of caving accidents. Almost all of the fatalities were from cave diving. It made for pretty fascinating reading. We had a guy go hypothermic once, but that was the extent of anything bad that ever happened to us.

Back