U.S. Bronze Star Medal for Valor Posthumously Awarded to French Navy Commando

Polar Bear

They call me Mr Sunshine
Verified Military
U.S. Bronze Star Medal for Valor Posthumously Awarded to French Navy Commando Loic Le Page Recognizing Heroic Combat Action in Maruf Valley, Afghanistan

The United States of America will pay tribute to the heroic combat action of a French Navy commando, Premier Maitre Loic Le Page, posthumously awarding him the Bronze Star Medal for Valor in a ceremony at the American Embassy in Paris on November 8, 2006. Premier Maitre Le Page’s widow, Aude, children Alexis and Eléonore, and father, General (retired) Maurice Le Page will be present to receive the honor. Major General Francis Kearney, Commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command, Central Command, will make the award on behalf of the President of the United States. U.S. Ambassador Craig Stapleton will present the family an American Flag that has flown over the American Embassy in Paris.

Other French military officers attending the ceremony will include: French Air Force General Patrick Paimbault, Sous-chef « Opérations » auprès du Chef d’état-major des armées; Contre-Amiral Bernard Rogel, Chef de cabinet du Chef d’Etat-Major des Armées ; Amiral Alain Oudot de Dainville, Chef d’Etat-Major de la Marine; General de Division Benoît Puga, Commandant des Opérations Spéciales, and Contre-Amiral Pierre Martinez, Commandant de la Force maritime des fusiliers Marins et Commandos.

On March 4, 2006, Premier Maitre Le Page was the assault team executive officer on a mission to sweep through the Maruf Valley in Afghanistan. While pursuing a group of militia, he and his men were hit by small arms, light machine gun fire, and rocket propelled grenades. His team returned fire, with him personally leading the assault until he was wounded by enemy machine gun fire. Three enemy militia members were killed and 10 were captured as a result of Premier Maitre Le Page’s actions.

President Franklin Roosevelt authorized creation of the Bronze Star Medal during World War II to recognize military members for their heroic or meritorious actions against an enemy. The “Valor” device on the medal identifies that it was awarded for an act of combat heroism. Premier Maitre Le Page will receive the Bronze Star with the Valor device.

Task Group ARES, France’s Special Operations Force in Afghanistan in which Premier Maitre Le Page was serving, has supported U.S. and Coalition forces in Afghanistan since 2003 as part of the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force.

Link to the press release, in PDF format: http://www.amb-usa.fr/texts/2006014.pdf
French version, also in PDF format: http://www.amb-usa.fr/textes/2006014f.pdf

Fuck, I remember when that happened and the Ramp Cermeny for him though I knew little of the details at the time.

Blue Skies Premier Maitre Le Page

RIP to Mr. Loic Le Page. I didn't recognize his photo on line. I served with Task Force Ares from 2004-2005 as an American attachment to the French Commando Hubert, French SAS and the Marine Commando. We were stationed at a remote FOB in Spin Boldak at the time. Seems like a million years ago now.

Back