United States & Gun Control discussion.

It is however a non starting idea to arm teachers. Teachers are generally of a liberal mindset, as a group they wouldn't do it.
Armed guards would be a better idea if that was the road we went down.

I don't think forcing it on teachers is a good idea at all. However, allowing them to do so might be a better idea. It's clear that making it illegal to carry on school property is doing absolutely nothing to decrease the violence.

Excellent post.

Agreed.

Well said Rapid. Particularly this... "I can do whatever I want and not face any consequences"

I am a believer in punishment for fucking up. Kids at school should be strapped/caned for infractions for example. This instils to kids that there are serious consequences for doing the wrong thing.
Western society has become so soft now that we just want to talk about shit, not act on shit. This is on every level from school ground infractions to war.
It needs to stop if we are going to survive as a free people. Society is going to implode if we keep on this road.

It is however a non starting idea to arm teachers. Teachers are generally of a liberal mindset, as a group they wouldn't do it.
Armed guards would be a better idea if that was the road we went down.

True, I've already heard one of my former teachers say that if she was forced to carry then she would quit teaching. Obviously "forcing" teachers would be a horrible idea, however, what about giving them the ability to carry? I know in my area that at least a couple teachers per school would be open to this, and it wouldn't be the extra cost that a guard would be.

I don't think forcing it on teachers is a good idea at all. However, allowing them to do so might be a better idea. It's clear that making it illegal to carry on school property is doing absolutely nothing to decrease the violence.

True, I've already heard one of my former teachers say that if she was forced to carry then she would quit teaching. Obviously "forcing" teachers would be a horrible idea, however, what about giving them the ability to carry? I know in my area that at least a couple teachers per school would be open to this, and it wouldn't be the extra cost that a guard would be.

Yeah, that could work.

I wonder how the anti-gun teachers would react to this though.

Politics aside, could you imagine what the school district's liability policies would jump too?

I think putting armed retire LEOs as school guards is a great idea.

Politics aside, could you imagine what the school district's liability policies would jump too?

Just curious... why retired?

Would it be more than opening up a new position at the school? I would rather have magnetic doors that lock and a few teacher dispersed throughout the school that are armed, if a breach is made (from an entry point not maintained by a security guard) I would rather have security inside the school. I also believe that a gunman would probably not pick soft targets like elementary schools if he/she knew the teachers might be armed, they could go back to shooting up their workplaces like "normal" psychopaths.

Mainly because I wouldn't want to take active duty people off the streets. And it would probably won't be a super demanding job, so it'd be good second career for someone with the right skills.

Fair enough... I just think that if we're going that route - you're already paying the $$$ to hire them, why not keep them as part of the regular force? (granted, I'm saying this as an outsider with little knowledge how departments man and schedule their personnel)

Aaaaand CNN shows their true colors. The intended end effect is NOT violence reduction, their talking points are purely an anti-Second-Amendment/NRA push.

It doesn't matter if gun violence is down. 20 children are dead here and 6 adults are dead, and the mother of a person who was not mentally -- who is mentally challenged in some way is dead. so to say that gun violence is down -- we need to talk about mental health, yes. mental health is a secondary issue. We need to get guns and bullets and automatic weapons off the streets. They should only be available to police officers and to hunt al Qaeda and the Taliban and not hunt children.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...snt-matter-that-gun-violence-is-down-n1468682

No double standards here...:-"

Dicks sporting goods, Walmart and cheaper than dirt have all restricted or cancelled firearms sales.

I just read that Discovery channel has cancelled Sons of Guns and American Guns.

The knee jerk reactions are picking up speed.

I agree. Arming teachers (even if they want to) or anyone else in the school for that matter doesn't guarantee the shooting ability necessary for those situation. Off duty cops or retired cops would be a better solution. Someone that has the training and the experience of being in those critical situation and reacting thoughtfully.

Going to a range and taking a test doesn't make someone qualified to be in those situations.

If it cost more so be it, if it's important enough then it is worth the extra expense.

This will be interesting because gun sales are going to go through the roof, thats a lot of money companies will be throwing away.

I should call up the Wally World in Pahrump, NV to see if they've stopped selling ammo. With Front Sight in their backyard ammo is a big seller for them. I'm sure their corporate ethics don't extend so far as to affect their profits.

lib·er·ty
noun, plural lib·er·ties.
1. freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control.
2. freedom from external or foreign rule; independence.
3. freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice.
4. freedom from captivity, confinement, or physical restraint: The prisoner soon regained his liberty.
5. permission granted to a sailor, especially in the navy, to go ashore.

Wait....What?

Second Amendment
–A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

What is great about the founding documents, is that they are wrote in plain fucking English, so even a retard like me can understand them.

in·fringe
verb, in·fringed, in·fring·ing. verb (used with object)
1. to commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.
verb (used without object)
2. to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon ): Don't infringe on his privacy.

Nothing I have written has contradicted itself; you can try rereading it when you're not inebriated.

Actually you have…see definition to liberty above.

For centuries, the laws of Western countries have guaranteed many liberties for their citizens, but they have also conferred duties upon them.

No disagreement there, but do you know what those duties are?

Is the relinquishment of the trial by jury and the liberty of the press necessary for your liberty? Will the abandonment of your most sacred rights tend to the security of your liberty? Liberty, the greatest of all earthly blessings — give us that precious jewel, and you may take every things else! Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. -Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Convention, June 5, 1788

I don't know where you got the idea that one's rights shouldn't be taken away in any circumstance, but guess what? They should. Not because of dumb laws (such as the AWB), but because of one's own dumbass actions.

I never said there should be no laws, or that people should not face consequences. What I said is that laws cannot be passed (legally anyway) that counter the United States Constitution. The States (i.e. not the federal government) has the right to pass laws that deal with state specific issues; this is where the licensing you brought up before comes into play. The point I was making about criminals and mentally ill, is that criminals and mentally ill who cannot be trusted with their liberties (freedom) should not be among the population.

Commit a murder? You lose your freedom. Molest a kid? You lose your freedom, and you lose the right to be around kids. Maliciously and repeatedly hack government and/or private websites? You lose some of your rights when it comes to what you access on computers/the internet.

Okay so you are saying we should send these types of people to prison for a period, allow them back into the population, and then say “oh by the way you can’t do any of this now”? Who is going to enforce it? Why let them out in the first place if they are not able to be trusted with their liberty? I am on the extreme other end to be honest, people who cannot be trusted with their liberties because their crime was so extreme, they should in fact, be put to death. Why keep someone alive, who we know will commit the same crimes? Why pay to keep them imprisoned if we know they can never be released?

All those examples show how you can lose your rights, because of YOUR OWN stupid actions. No one should be able to go around doing stupid shit and not being prevented from doing it again. If you disagree with this, excuse me while I go facepalm myself for about half an hour.

LOL, anyone who has paid any attention to my posts around here knows I am all about personal responsibility and accountability.

Now then, what about if your neighbor gets diagnosed as a psychopath on the verge of a causing a bloodbath? I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to deduce that maybe it'd be a good idea to temporarily suspend his rights to bear arms... until/if he's given the all-clear. Go ahead and correct me, if you think that you'd feel safe having your family around him.

If my neighbor is diagnosed as psychopath, I expect him to be committed to a mental health treatment facility, by the courts, and treated for his/her illness. I do not expect to see that neighbor again until they have been successfully treated for said illness. However, I really don’t see how suspending his/her liberty, while not institutionalizing him/her is supposed to make me safe. Maybe I am a bit ignorant, but I believe as part of my duties in sustaining my liberties, is providing protection for myself and family. Thus I keep a gun on me at all times, in case one of my neighbor (or anyone for that matter) turns out to be a homicidal psychopath. Furthermore, It becomes a non-issue if everyone would take personal responsibility for their own and families safety and arm themselves.

What about if he's got a history of violent gun crime? Gee, I'm going to have to go with the same as above.

Again, what is he doing out and about if he is known to commit violent "gun" crimes?

Let's stop with this "I can do whatever I want and not face any consequences" bullshit. Our constitutions, declarations, etc, aren't guarantees to act like self-righteous pricks who are a danger to others' liberties. Our rights can, and should, be taken away from us if we don't accept our duties.

Where did I post in this thread that "I can do whatever I want and not face any consequences"?

The only person here who has no idea of what liberty is, ironically, is you. The fact that you can't grasp that your liberty ends where the next person's liberty begins speaks volumes.

LOL, I fully grasp that infringment of another persons liberty is against the law. Do you?

I'm tired of sugarcoating it. Your infantile reasoning says that the kid who committed this massacre should've been able to own guns just like anyone else. I'm actually angry at this stupidity.

I think you should check your fire there hero, I never posted such a thing.

Edit: and I'm actually going to quote myself to put this whole post into perspective:

Okay man, you are a bit worked up, apparently misunderstanding just about everything I have posted, possibly my fault for not typing out full pages to explain my point of view. Regardless, my drunken post probably set most of that fire, so I will apologize for that. Outside of that I will attempt to stay civil from this point forward, as long as you will stop twisting my posts around.

Back