United States & Gun Control discussion.

This thread's going to make me everyone's Public Enemy, so Welcome to the Terrordome. My time in the desert has made me angry, very angry, and I should probably move away from FL. I fear that By the Time I get to Arizona my anger will cause me to Fight the Power. I could use a new job, but Pimpin' Ain't Easy and being a Dopeman isn't who I am. Regardless, with my ethics I Go to Work each and every day. At night, I hang with my Boyz n tha' Hood sippin' Gin and Juice because I know It Was a Good Day.

interesting that Trump says something untrue (e.g. video of cash going to Iran) but Clinton says you can buy a gun online without a background check and NOBODY says shit.

As president, Hillary will:
  • Expand background checks to more gun sales—including by closing the gun show and internet sales loopholes—and strengthen the background check system by getting rid of the so-called “Charleston Loophole.”

Hillary Clinton on gun violence prevention

Backing up 7 pages' worth of this thread, Katie Couric is sued for $12 million.

Katie Couric Faces $12 Million Defamation Suit For 'misleading' Gun Documentary Edits

Katie Couric and "Under the Gun" director Stephanie Soechtig are facing a $12 million defamation lawsuit for their roles in allegedly "misleading" edits made in their 2016 documentary.

Virginians Citizens Defense League (VCDL) is taking Couric and her director to court for edits they say made VCDL members appear stumped by Couric's gun control questions, when in fact they were not.

According to the results of a Harvard-Northeastern survey of 4,000 gun owners, just 3 percent of American adults own half of the nation’s firearms, according to t.

I say horse shit, this is nothing more than the continued media spin to show that gun owners are a minority segment of America and paint them as paranoid.

Just 3 percent of American adults own half of the nation’s firearms, according to the results of a Harvard-Northeastern survey of 4,000 gun owners.

The survey’s findings support other research showing that as the overall rate of gun ownership has declined, the number of firearms in circulation has skyrocketed. The implication is that there are more guns in fewer hands than ever before. The top 3 percent of American adults own, on average, 17 guns apiece, according to the survey’s estimates.

The survey is particularly useful to researchers because it asked respondents not just whether they own guns, but how many and what types of guns they own. This makes for one of the clearest pictures yet of American gun ownership.

The bolded immediately shows the survey flaws.
1) I'm not likely to tell anyone doing a phone survey if I own guns
2) There is ZERO chance I am going to tell them how many and what types I own. Did they as for the location and combo to the safe next?

http://www.startribune.com/nation/394043441.html

It's meant to create a false perception that gun owners are an extreme minority (utilizing the tactics above) and therefore stripping them of civil liberties has minimal impact on the populace. Wait for it to be coupled by a piece outlining the positive of a violence-free utopia.

Thanks, Harvard...:rolleyes:

According to the results of a Harvard-Northeastern survey of 4,000 gun owners, just 3 percent of American adults own half of the nation’s firearms, according to t.

I say horse shit, this is nothing more than the continued media spin to show that gun owners are a minority segment of America and paint them as paranoid.

Just 3 percent of American adults own half of the nation’s firearms, according to the results of a Harvard-Northeastern survey of 4,000 gun owners.

The survey’s findings support other research showing that as the overall rate of gun ownership has declined, the number of firearms in circulation has skyrocketed. The implication is that there are more guns in fewer hands than ever before. The top 3 percent of American adults own, on average, 17 guns apiece, according to the survey’s estimates.

The survey is particularly useful to researchers because it asked respondents not just whether they own guns, but how many and what types of guns they own. This makes for one of the clearest pictures yet of American gun ownership.

The bolded immediately shows the survey flaws.
1) I'm not likely to tell anyone doing a phone survey if I own guns
2) There is ZERO chance I am going to tell them how many and what types I own. Did they as for the location and combo to the safe next?

http://www.startribune.com/nation/394043441.html

Man....how many ways to poke holes in this??

Over 300 million guns in the US....US population 319 million

How do you account for face-to-face sales through individuals and non-FFLs?

4,000 respondants from a population of 319 million is .00125% (if I did my math right, which is always iffy). The sample size alone makes this meaningless.

Man....how many ways to poke holes in this??

Over 300 million guns in the US....US population 319 million

How do you account for face-to-face sales through individuals and non-FFLs?

4,000 respondants from a population of 319 million is .00125% (if I did my math right, which is always iffy). The sample size alone makes this meaningless.
Not necessarily. You can design a nationally-representative survey with few respondents as long as your survey is designed well, and you achieve a strong response rate. You can actually check the math here: Sample size calculator - CheckMarket
For example, I entered 300,000,000 for the population size (just to get a nice round number. past a certain point, population size doesn't really mean much), a response rate of 35% (the only thing that a higher response rate achieves is increasing the number of people invited to the survey), with an MoE of 2% and 99% confidence interval. That resulted in about 12,000 people people being surveyed, and a sample size of 4147 (again, response rate 35%).

It is, however, a little difficult to tell exactly how they structured the survey and what the response rate was because it looks like they haven't published the study yet. I'd be interested to see what their methodology was. I'm also curious as to some of the claims in the article. For instance, it said that the survey sampled approximately 4,000 gun owners, but it also stated that, "The study found that 22 percent of American adults say they personally own a firearm. " I'm not sure whether there was a distinction made between having a firearm and OWNING a firearm (e.g. having a gun in the home vs. personally owning one), or if that's an oversight by the writer. Regardless, if 4,000 gun owners were included in the sample, I don't see how you could draw out the 22% ownership rate from that. I can definitely understand the line about 3% of gun owners having half of the guns, but I don't get the 22% figure.

Again, I'd like to see the survey itself before drawing conclusions about the sampling method, but the statistical reasoning has the potential to be sound.

Back