USMC scout sniper

Mds5445

Unverified
Hey I'm 16 years old and I want to be a USMC scout sniper and I know I will be able to meet all of the requirements to get into scout sniper school by the time I enlist but I have one concern. I'm colorblind and I read that it wasn't recommended but wasn't disqualifying either. How would this affect my ability to get into the school and how would it affect my performance from a vision standpoint when in scout sniper school?

Hey I'm 16 years old and I want to be a USMC scout sniper and I know I will be able to meet all of the requirements to get into scout sniper school by the time I enlist but I have one concern. I'm colorblind and I read that it wasn't recommended but wasn't disqualifying either. How would this affect my ability to get into the school and how would it affect my performance from a vision standpoint when in scout sniper school?

I can tell you that being colorblind will not allow you to enlist in the USMC because you would not be able to pass the full range of requirements during a vison test.

I am not a sniper bot a former USMC rifleman.

Just my .02 cents.

I can tell you that being colorblind will not allow you to enlist in the USMC because you would not be able to pass the full range of requirements during a vison test.

I am not a sniper bot a former USMC rifleman.

Just my .02 cents.

Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?

As I recall when I enlisted yes.

Edit: I could somewhat wrong. This does not address the the OP's question however it can provide clearer guidance.

"
While color vision is tested at Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS), normal color vision is not a requirement to join the U.S. Military.
However, many military jobs require normal color vision. This is because there is some operational or safety aspect of the job that requires one to be able to distinguish between colors (indicator lights, smoke flares, etc.). Because of this, color vision requirements are not waiverable for military jobs which require normal color vision."

Source: Rod Powers Biography
Rod Powers is a retired Air Force First Sergeant with 22 years of active duty service

Last edited:
My little brother is an 0311 who is looking to go the Scout Sniper route. He enlisted just fine with a color deficiency.

Last edited:
I am a former Scout Sniper and have slight red/green color deficiency. There are aspects of Scout Sniper school that you may have difficulty with depending on the degree of your color vision deficiency; but color blindness/deficiency itself will not bar you from attending.
What specifically makes it more difficult to be colorblind in the school? I found out I'm severe red green colorblind

Theres certain aspects about SS that is not just shooting. You'll need to be a well trained observer, being able to pick out minor details in large settings is a big part of the job. I'm not saying you can't do it though. Anything's possible if you want it bad enough.

Back