"Vets to Cops" Program

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
I know many of you are contemplating separating from the service, or are already out and looking for work. Here's something to consider:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47953193/ns/us_news-giving/#.T-n1PrVAZ_A

Attorney General Eric Holder announced funding for the new "Vets To Cops" initiative on Monday through the
U.S. Department ofJustice
Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.

The grants require that all new positions funded by the program must be filled by recent military veterans.

I don't know if I want to participate in any program that is introduced by Eric Holder...

Of course my disposition for post 9/11 cops doesn't help too much either. O_o

I still don't get how it takes a US Citizen 6-8 months just to get a tax stamp for a SBR, but Mexican cartel can get select fire rifles without a problem!

Ok no more sidetracking the thread...sorry.

all these damn programs..... how bout the P.D.'s just hire whoever is best for the job? I'm confident that the military folks are probably the right person 9 times out of 10. I would rather see POTUS throw us a bone in these areas:

-express line at the airport
-tax incentives for airlines that offer discounted travel to AD military
-grant program for vets who want to start a small business
-tax incentives for companies who hire AD military spouses

those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of some more

all these damn programs..... how bout the P.D.'s just hire whoever is best for the job? I'm confident that the military folks are probably the right person 9 times out of 10. I would rather see POTUS throw us a bone in these areas:

The big problem with these type of funding programs is that the funds eventually die off and the municipality is left with finding a way to pay salaries.

You're right about the vet thing; I'd much rather have a vet next to me than some of the people we've hired.

I'm not going to complain. This looks like a great deal for guys in my SF Company to take advantage of this program. I got my JR 18D and Echo going to take the next test for my agency and if this helps them get to the academy faster, then that's awesome. Right now, I got my SR 18E and 18C on our full time SWAT unit with me and I got my SR 18B whose in the police academy and I'm sure he'll be on SWAT in a few years.

The big problem with these type of funding programs is that the funds eventually die off and the municipality is left with finding a way to pay salaries.

You're right about the vet thing; I'd much rather have a vet next to me than some of the people we've hired.

EXACTLY: They didn't say it out right but in Atlanta we got furloughed towards the end of my time there. I believe they called them "grants". It was hard to pin down for sure as we seemed to have a serious case of the "revolving door syndrome". Guys would come to APD do 2 years then transfer to another department. A guy I went to the academy with now works for Las Vegas.

and

Couldn't agree more on your second statement.....I certainly wasn't comfortable around many of the "non-prior service personnel" different mind set altogether.

We get grants all the time to fund officers. I know of officers who got hired from a 1995 grant and are still employed. It's true that the city or county picks up the tab, but like anything else, it's incumbant on one to do the research to make sure that the city/county can afford the tab after the grant expires. Obviously a enonomic crash is hard to predict, hence the counties that have a large tourist industry seems to weather the crashes.

I can atest to this. Lots of cops lateral to my agency. Very few leave ours and the ones that do, most of them come back in a few months.

How a

How about on top of that there be a semi uniform awarding of credits earned in the military that transfer? An 18D with 4 credits towards a BS is just that, BS.

How a

How about on top of that there be a semi uniform awarding of credits earned in the military that transfer? An 18D with 4 credits towards a BS is just that, BS.
:-o

That's ridiculous; my NREMT-P card was good for 18.

I seem to remember there was a MSG (whose name escapes me at the moment) from your schoolhouse that was running a program with UNC. It was designed specifically for 18Ds, and I believe they were more generous with credits than a measly 4. I can't remember if the program was PA or MD.

I seem to remember there was a MSG (whose name escapes me at the moment) from your schoolhouse that was running a program with UNC. It was designed specifically for 18Ds, and I believe they were more generous with credits than a measly 4. I can't remember if the program was PA or MD.

UNC will give me 4 physical education credits.

There are programs that give an associates of applied science, which is basically a degree in nothing.

Back