Welcome to the Marine Corps Mentor Group

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
I'm a former 0331 machine-gunner, combat wounded, former Combined Action Group Marine and NCO squad leader of a weapons platoon. I serve as the mentor of this group, but we have many Marines on this forum, former and active duty, NCOs, Officers, enlisted from a variety of military occupations who can offer advice about life in the Fleet, training pipelines, MEUs, deployments, Active/Reserve issues, weapons, gear, requirements, etc.

Before you start asking questions about Recon and MARSOC, (there's a mentor group for those), be advised you have to earn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) first...and this is the place to start your learning about everything that comes before: MEPs, bootcamp, infantry training, MOSs, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for creating this page, awesome timing for myself.
I’m currently scheduled to ship to boot camp in January of 2019 with an active duty 0300 contract.
Being current active duty, what insight do you have on the current climate when it comes to deployments? If the world continues as is over the next 4 years should I expect deployments to the Middle East?
I do my best to keep up with current events in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I’m curious to hear from someone who is in right now. A large majority of my work buddies were in 7-10 years ago and are under the impression it’s still similar to their time. I keep my mouth shut and nod, but I’m convinced there are less and less deployments every year, specifically combat deployments. Thanks in advance.

I’m currently scheduled to ship to boot camp in January of 2019 with an active duty 0300 contract.
Being current active duty, what insight do you have on the current climate when it comes to deployments? If the world continues as is over the next 4 years should I expect deployments to the Middle East?
I do my best to keep up with current events in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I’m curious to hear from someone who is in right now. A large majority of my work buddies were in 7-10 years ago and are under the impression it’s still similar to their time. I keep my mouth shut and nod, but I’m convinced there are less and less deployments every year, specifically combat deployments. Thanks in advance.

Infantry deployments to Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and various other combat related zones are extremely scarce in today’s Marine Corps. The chances of you deploying to one of those countries is extremely slim. The world is an ever changing place though, so do not let that deter you. The opportunity could come at any second.

@Bec771

Operation Freedom's Sentinel (OFS-Afghanistan) is largely SF/SOF and advisory units and their support elements. In OFS, Marine Task Force Southwest is deployed in Helmand Province but comprised of only 300 Marines in an advise/assist role with the ANA 215th Corps and provincial police units.

Syria is similar although Marine infantry and artillery units have deployed there with limited participation.

Special Purpose--Marine Air-Ground Task Force--Crisis Response Central Command (SP-MAGTF-CR-CC) has various elements deployed in a number of Central Command TAORs.

However, there are no large scale Marine infantry combat deployments at this time or operations in which the Marines can be said to "own the mission."

Last edited:
We have Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan. Combat deployments still exist but they are harder to come by.

I'm a former 0331 machine-gunner, combat wounded, former Combined Action Group Marine and NCO squad leader of a weapons platoon. I serve as the mentor of this group, but we have many Marines on this forum, former and active duty, NCOs, Officers, enlisted from a variety of military occupations who can offer advice about life in the Fleet, training pipelines, MEUs, deployments, Active/Reserve issues, weapons, gear, requirements, etc.

Before you start asking questions about Recon and MARSOC, (there's a mentor group for those), be advised you have to earn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) first...and this is the place to start your learning about everything that comes before: MEPs, bootcamp, infantry training, MOSs, etc.

Yo i gotta ask, what is a combined action group Marine? Havent heard of that in my time so far.
Regards!

Back