What do you Rangers think of this?

Future

Unverified
http://www.quikmaneuvers.com/rangers_afghanistan_and_iraq.html

“Although the Rangers are considered to be elite conventional infantry, conventional US Army generals refuse to utilize
them in units of sufficient size to make a real difference. The reason for that refusal is simple. Rangers are a finely
honed instrument of war. US conventional generals of the past twenty years, shy away from war fighting units because
the generals themselves are not warriors or warfighters. They are “diplomats in mufti,” uniformed politics who advance the
cause of “peace by negotiations and appeasement dollars,” not combat. They see themselves as careful and cautious
international policemen. That is why they despise warfighting and warriors.
That is also why they have atomized and fragmented US Army Ranger units. They send them to the various theaters of
war as back up forces for special operations or as guards or simply men who sit and wait. US conventional generals
knowingly deprive their finest soldiers of their reason for living, combat. They don’t use most of them and eventually turn
them against the US Army. Thus conventional generals are running off ranger-enlisted personnel because they want an
army of policemen, not warriors.
In the meantime the legions of US Army Rangers merely sit and wait. They are rarely used in combat roles and when
they are, they are deployed as squads or platoons. US conventional generals don’t want a tough bunch of combat
veterans handing around.”

That is pretty silly, and it is obvious the person who wrote it doesn't know what he is talking about. I guess all the KIA's from Regiment are from pulling security in Iraq and Afghanistan :rolleyes:

I would agree if we were talking about Swartzkoph(sp?) back in the first Gulf war.

Now? Don't agree at all.:2c:

I think the author means that the Battalions are being misused as in the fact that they are not being deployed as a whole Bn to one specific area.

I mean, 3 PLTs, 3 CO's, thats 9 platoons... (I was gone in '07, before the time of DCo), it would be very uncommon for 2 platoons to be in the same city/town. So I think thats what he means when they are being misused.

As far as sitting around and not fighting? Load of complete shit. OPTEMPO was ridiculous. He's confusing us with MARSOC

When they became a part of USASOC their utility became more focused. There are a lot of conventional missions they could do, but most of those can be done well by light infantry or paratroopers.

They work for Special Ops Commanders and most of those ops don't involve large numbers of forces.

That lately Ranger battalions have not conducted battalion sized assaults has more to do with the nature of the targets out there and is actually a compliment to the flexibility and the capabilities of the Ranger Battalions and their ability to take on various smaller company and platoon sized operations as needed.

I have no doubt that if we were to go to war with Iran and we needed to seize an airfield defended by an Iranian infantry regiment deep inside Iran... you would see a full Ranger battalion in action.

I think the author means that the Battalions are being misused as in the fact that they are not being deployed as a whole Bn to one specific area.

I mean, 3 PLTs, 3 CO's, thats 9 platoons... (I was gone in '07, before the time of DCo), it would be very uncommon for 2 platoons to be in the same city/town. So I think thats what he means when they are being misused.

As far as sitting around and not fighting? Load of complete shit. OPTEMPO was ridiculous. He's confusing us with MARSOC

Because MARSOC is sitting around and not fighting? What an arrogant, unprofessional and entirely unnecessary statement. All the MARSOC units I have seen have been involved in plenty of fighting.

Back