What do you Rangers think of this?

Because MARSOC is sitting around and not fighting? What an arrogant, unprofessional and entirely unnecessary statement. All the MARSOC units I have seen have been involved in plenty of fighting.

Agreed. You need to check yourself dknob.

Agreed. You need to check yourself dknob.

I meant in the beginning of OEF and OIF. Before MARSOC creation. I just use that name as a reference to Force Recon units, who were sidelined (common knowledge) in the beginning stages of both wars. I obviously didn't mean any disrespect. I am just going off of what I have read over the years regarding Marine SOF units not being utilized in any SOF capabilities because USMC top brass refused to let them be included into SOCOM.

I meant in the beginning of OEF and OIF. Before MARSOC creation. I just use that name as a reference to Force Recon units, who were sidelined (common knowledge) in the beginning stages of both wars. I obviously didn't mean any disrespect. I am just going off of what I have read over the years regarding Marine SOF units not being utilized in any SOF capabilities because USMC top brass refused to let them be included into SOCOM.

That is true, as the premier DA and SR unit in the Marine Corps, the two Force Recon companies have been under utilized during the war and were sent to little known places such as the battle of An Nasariyah, battle of An Najaf, battle of Fallujah. SOCOM doesn't have a monopoly on war you know.

I have nothing but the up most respect for the men who serve in Ranger regiment, they are the best of the best and 100% the premier raid, assault and seizure force that the US MILITARY has to offer!

Nuff said, Marines no offense…

I have nothing but the up most respect for the men who serve in Ranger regiment, they are the best of the best and 100% the premier raid, assault and seizure force that the US MILITARY has to offer!

Nuff said, Marines no offense…

None taken. It used to be a requirement for all leadership at 1st Force to be Ranger school graduates. This included the company CO (LtCol).

Well.. I know that Regiment did at least two combat jumps into Iraq before I did mine and that now I see them listed as support for different TFs around. So what is it that they are not doing that they need to be?

I know. Just showing how much respect that the 1st Force chain of command had for the course. Most assistant team leaders and up were Ranger and RSLC qualified. I know two guys who went through the Q course as Marines in the 90s but they stopped doing that.

There was actually a Recon guy in my Ranger School class, and the fucker got honor grad :D

The article hints at some of the problems that have caused problems for the Ranger units since the modern Ranger units were formed in WW II. One has to take a close look at Ranger history before dismissing the article entirely.

Many conventional commanders tend to misuse Ranger Companies and Battalions. It happened in WW II, Korea and to some extent in Vietnam.

Placing the Ranger BNs under SOCOM, helps to reduce such misuse, however, they still face demands from theater commanders and pressure from local conventional Division commanders, etc. when they are operating in their AO.

Of course, it would also appear at times that SOCOM falls prey, to the thinking of the Commanders influence that the article talks about as well as the quest for better funding, etc.

The fact is that both the Special Forces Groups and the Ranger BNs will always be in danger of misuse as well as actual deactivation if many high ranking people got their way.

US conventional generals
knowingly deprive their finest soldiers of their reason for living, combat. They don’t use most of them and eventually turn
them against the US Army.

I would say that this statement has some merit. But, that is just me. I have seen situations that would support this statement.

Getting rid of JSOA's anybody? Come on, really?

ODA's falling under the Battle space commander, who isn't SOF.

I just jumped into this conversation, but that's how I feel.

It is not really a bad thing for Rangers to be deployed into country as platoon or company elements, depending on where you go. When going on a caputure or kill raid in Iraq or raiding compounds in Afghanistan you don't need an overwhelming amount of soldiers when you have a solid well trained platoon or company of Rangers.
And that article which was written after speaking with "Ranger Officers" there is a big difference if its some officer who went to Ranger School and thats it compared to an Officer who led in Ranger Bat or Ranger Regt and last time I checked all our Ranger Officers were right on the ground with us getting into the fight.
Let the conventional part of the military do their thing and lets Spec Ops be Spec Ops.

Back