Where do I go?

noquarterseance

Unverified
Brief background on my life:

Raised by an infantry officer, former enlisted “POG” if you may. Moved all over the US. Turned 18, proceeded to join the Army with an 11X Option 40 and was booted with a “general - under honorable conditions” at 30th AG for a scaphoid bone that was broken prior to service.

Here’s my question; I joined with the intent of going to Ranger Regiment and kicking ass blah blah blah, since then I’ve developed further mentally and have a desire for more meaning behind what I do. I have that desire to make a real difference vs doing my 4 years and having some scars/tattoos/relationships and back pain to show for it. Don’t get me wrong, Ranger Regiment would still be great, however, I just turned 21 and an 18X is sounding a little bit more attractive. I would probably go that way, but I’m wondering if there’s another branch and job that may be more my route? I’m incredibly biased with the Army but I’m open to other options if they’re valid and you can give me some sort o

Thanks!

PS: This was all very blunt so don’t get offended by anything, just trying to figure out what to do here and get some different perspectives.

Welcome to the site.

I'm a little confused by your discharge characterization, I thought that "under honorable" was reserved for discharges that involved some kind of misconduct. Did you lie about the scaphoid before you enlisted the first time or something?

Thanks!

Negative, didn’t lie about it, found out about it at 30th when they observed I couldn't bend my right hand back as far as my left which lead to X-Rays and the grumpy ass doctor telling me he couldn’t have me in the Army with that. The CO/drills at A-Co liked me and didn’t give me a hard time about it. I am of the understanding that the discharge type is technically an honorable.
More info I forgot to add: I went to a NG recruiter last year around October time frame and went through the process of trying to get an Option 49 again, they requested all of my med records (which are lengthy to say the least - lots of broken bones and surgeries, almost had my damn foot cut off just over a year ago) and they requested a waiver but we fell out of contact.

What is your RE code? That'll tell you how easy it is to return.

Just go do something. If you want to be 18x, be 18x. Don't overthink it. Lots of people on the internet can tell you "go here" and "do this", but none of us are you.

I was in the same boat as you as far not being able to get anything airborne related (option 40, 18x) at MEPs due to broken bones. However if you go 11x and succeed at PT (which you will have ample time to because now OSUT is 22 weeks I think) and have the minimum GT score, you will probably get the opportunity to volunteer for both. I'd recommend reading some of Dick Couch's books on both units (Sua Sponte and Chosen Soldier). I was eligible to go either route and went with a RASP contract. What led to my decision with that is that path had more personal goals I wanted to achieve at the time... Think about your personal goals and how they pertain to both units

Back