Why has the Army gotten SOFT?

Came in right after 9/11, the difference really came around 05-06 when we saw Iraq was not going to be as open shut as we thought. Standards got dropped, people got promoted that should not have, and schools got put off due to deployments. The Army decided to reinvent the wheel, instead of realizing that the problem was not resolvable with a new policy or power point class. At a time when we needed better trained soldiers from BCT/OSUT, we got less trained, less disciplined soldiers. When we need more range time, we spent that time learning new gadgets that were limited in application. When we had inadequate marksmanship, we ordered optic to make it easier to shoot, vs taking the time to properly teach soldiers how to shoot.

I would say the biggest advances that we have seen in the Army has been in the medical treatment of trauma, and the electronic countermeasures technology. Small unit tactics have gone to shit, maneuver warfare has gone to shit, marksmanship has gone to shit, logistics are pretty well completely outsourced, etc, etc.

NCO: I have seen some NCO progress through the ranks based on the fact that they attended soldier/NCO of the month boards while the others were out training or conducting missions. I have seen NCO’s fail in their duties and responsibilities and pass the buck down to a younger NCO or in some cases even a jr enlisted soldier. How in the hell is a E5 with less than 3 yrs service ready to lead a team, how is an E6 with less than 6 yrs in ready to be an SL/PSG? Are you fucking kidding me? 4.5 mths in OSUT, 6 months with a in a new unit, 18 mth deployment, 9-12 mth redeployment home and recovery, and now that soldier is ready to lead a team in combat? WTF? On top of that, no professional training b/c his NCOES's have all been waved. Range school? Nah, fuck that I have already been to combat, beside why spend 4 mths of my life in Ranger school when I could be having fun... I have heard that way too many times.

Officers: Need I say more? Career risk adverse policy makers who are normally completely out of touch with any form of reality of the battle field or operational area. Passing the buck on to anyone else, no taking responsibility for any type of a command decision, fail to act, leave it up to the next unit releaving us, etc. Fucking get real, how in the hell can you have any format of leadership if you won't make a move unless your next hirer up says go? Only thing I have every seen an officer intrested in, is what is going help him get his next "that a boy" for his OER, so that he can make that next rank. I only know of one officer who truly through his career away for his soldiers during this past decade of war, and they booted him so quick it was not even funny (LTC Allen West, US Army 4thID Retired, Congressman from FL).

Is this a blanket statement for the Army as a whole? No! I think there has also been extraordinary people who have & do serve in the “New Army” and I would never wish to take anything away from those who have gone that extra mile, made that extra effort or took that hit for their people. But the vast majority is ate up like soup sandwich.

Combat seasoned Army? Yes very much so, however, those combat seasoned soldiers who have learned all that good stuff tend to be the one’s calling it quits after 1 to 2 enlistments. The bottom feeders are the ones that I have seen who fight to rank up and stay in, only deploying to get a tax free reenlistment bonus. Or worse the ones who stay in because they have found the best way to sham and refuse to deploy, etc.

I can go on a bit more, but I know about 90% of the above is going to piss off a few already, so I will stop here…

I can't disagree that some of our best and brightest call it quits after 1-2 enlistments, as they get fed up with what they see once they start reaching higher levels. A LOT of good guys that I know called it quits because of certain CSM's/1SG's, and the Army is worse off for having lost that kind of talent, in my opinion.

Coming from my limited knowledge and experience I can attest at least on the schoolhouse side coming from a Senior Military College that the Army over-calculated starting with accessions group 2011 which I was originally a part of, I became part of 2012 when LDAC was deferred for me and I graduated late. When I got on campus we had 55 four year scholarship winners, which was unheard of, 2012 was 50.

Yet the class that is the problem is the accessions group of 2013...the current MSIII class at VMI is 187 strong and I think is at 170 contracted with the other 17 fighting through waivers. The Colonel, wants to send all 187 to camp which will blow whatever record out of the water. Of those 187 I'd say at least 150 are from VMI and partnership schools take up the rest.

So my point is if the Army over-calculated big time at VMI they over-calculated everywhere so either the scores at Camp are going to have to be set higher or many people that attained four year scholarships at regular colleges are going to be sent to IRR.

A friend of mine currently in Afghanistan told me he was getting out, his reason: not a single senior officer around him had mentored him. He also had a walk on water OER like most do. So that's the complaint and reason why a good artillery officer will be getting out as soon as his commitment is up.

A friend of mine currently in Afghanistan told me he was getting out, his reason: not a single senior officer around him had mentored him. He also had a walk on water OER like most do. So that's the complaint and reason why a good artillery officer will be getting out as soon as his commitment is up.

I've said before that one of the fundamental failings of our officer system is that for many, the first time they are told that they matter, that they're doing a good job, that what they do is important, and that they should stay in, is when they are standing in front of the brigade commander's desk asking him to sign their REFRAD paperwork. By then it's too late. For the most part, "mentorship" is a myth in the officers' corps. What little mentorship I did see, looked a lot like cronyism. When it does happen the way it is supposed to, it's great for everyone involved. But it has been my experience that it's mostly lip service.

Re: mentorship from the two posts above

I could not agree more. There was very little in OCS and none in my unit. When I was looking for a new home (the Guard works a bit differently than the AD side) it was the same thing over and over again.

It was discouraging enough I dropped my papers for the ING and never really looked back.

Came in right after 9/11, the difference really came around 05-06 when we saw Iraq was not going to be as open shut as we thought. Standards got dropped, people got promoted that should not have, and schools got put off due to deployments. The Army decided to reinvent the wheel, instead of realizing that the problem was not resolvable with a new policy or power point class. At a time when we needed better trained soldiers from BCT/OSUT, we got less trained, less disciplined soldiers.

I can go on a bit more, but I know about 90% of the above is going to piss off a few already, so I will stop here…

No I really do think you should go on some more. Maybe thats what the ppl need to hear. Sometimes the truth piss ppl off because it applies to them. You mad a lot of good points, an raised some interesting questions.

I have to agree to some extent. I retired as a field grade officer but not from the typical line...prior enlisted and I was a reservist recalled to active duty after 9/11, after having spent 11 years active. I really didnt care about playing the political game and the funny thing was, my seniors respected that and I did better than my political peers..yes Ive seen all the stupid games mediocre officers played. I understand a good bit of it, if you are a career officer, we have an up or out system...something that needs to be changed in my opinion. When master's degrees and PME count more than combat experience and leadership abilities..well you see where this goes.

Back