Workout Advice

stormZF

Unverified
Hello all! Due to my recent motivation to become a PJ, I decided to join a gym a few weeks ago. For the most part I've just been learning how all the machines work, but with that out of the way I'm wondering what muscle groups to focus on, and if there are any particular workouts that would help my success with pararescue indoc. I'm 5'7, 135 Pounds, and admittedly a smaller guy. Because I focused so much on cardio and running when I was in my earlier years of school I never really built much upper body strength, and struggle with things like basic push ups, and lifting weight, whereas I tend to excel with things like stamina while running, or in the pool. Also I was wondering if this early on I should be worried about taking protein supplements, or shakes, if so any recommendations for what powder to look towards buying? Any information is greatly, appreciated, thanks!

Spend a few days reading the Fitness & Nutrition forum. Your questions are answered there many times over.
Ohhh! Okay sorry, super new here, thanks very much, this place has a forum for absolutely everything :)!

Forget how the machines work, get someone to show you how to lift free weights.
Ah, you know every time I've walked in there and looked over to the weight sets, I see a bunch of guys 3x my size and just get intimidated, guess I ought to suck it up and get started on that, no time like the present.

Ah, you know every time I've walked in there and looked over to the weight sets, I see a bunch of guys 3x my size and just get intimidated, guess I ought to suck it up and get started on that, no time like the present.

That's a mind game. You aren't doing it to compare yourself to them...you are doing it to be the best "you" that you can be.

Put them out of your mind...set goals for yourself and once achieved...drive on to your next one.

Those "other guys" shouldn't matter at all.

That's a mind game. You aren't doing it to compare yourself to them...you are doing it to be the best "you" that you can be.

Put them out of your mind...set goals for yourself and once achieved...drive on to your next one.

Those "other guys" shouldn't matter at all.

Agreed and I'll add: most everyone started where you are, and they didn't gain strength by getting intimidated and leaving.

Eat right, work on functional strength, flexibility and endurance.... there are multiple threads throughout the site addressing this. Quit being lazy and use the search function, you will be amazed at the info on here.
Yeah I've been looking around, there's a lot of really useful information! This site is a heaven-sent, happy I came across it.

Yeah man- funny thing is, one day years ago, those massive dudes were your size and thought, "You know, I want to be as big as those dudes 3x my size over there."

The difference between them and you is they went to the rack and picked up the weights.

Yeah man- funny thing is, one day years ago, those massive dudes were your size and thought, "You know, I want to be as big as those dudes 3x my size over there."

The difference between them and you is they went to the rack and picked up the weights.
Thank's everyone for the words of wisdom, they've been resonating. As a small update, I got a personal trainer and he's had me on weights ever since, those guys are starting to not even register.

Thank's everyone for the words of wisdom, they've been resonating. As a small update, I got a personal trainer and he's had me on weights ever since, those guys are starting to not even register.

Make sure you let him know you need functional strength, flexibility, and endurance to make you ready for the military. If he knows his shit, he will not have you just banging plates to get huge. I've seen more BIG guys not hack SOF selections than functionally fit guys.

Make sure you let him know you need functional strength, flexibility, and endurance to make you ready for the military. If he knows his shit, he will not have you just banging plates to get huge. I've seen more BIG guys not hack SOF selections than functionally fit guys.
Couldnt agree more.

Be very clear about your needs and what you want to accomplish with your training, any coach worth his salt will constantly listen to you and tweak his programming. YOU are paying for it, dont be shy.

Couldnt agree more.

Be very clear about your needs and what you want to accomplish with your training, any coach worth his salt will constantly listen to you and tweak his programming. YOU are paying for it, dont be shy.
At my first physical I told them about my goal of becoming a member of USAF Pararescue and I guess they remembered because my personal trainer is a retired serviceman and when I mentioned this to him he said he couldn't agree more, thanks for the continuous advice everyone!

Back