WWP (and veteran-oriented charities)

Blizzard

Anyone else see/read this article on Wounded Warrior Project?
Former employee and disabled vet: Wounded Warrior Project conduct "makes me sick" - CBS News

While I have some issues with the CBS article, in general, it touches on some long-standing and increasing criticisms of WWP.

But are people being overly critical of WWP? Do these shortcomings make WWP “bad”? After all, WWP is just one charity, albeit a very large, highly visible one; it can’t be all things to all people. Nor can it/should it be viewed as a replacement program for gov't/VA care. It’d be hard to argue that another organization has done more than WWP to raise broad general public support and awareness for wounded veterans. So, for that they deserve some credit.

That said, it does seem WWP has lost it’s way a bit over the years. An increasingly greater percentage of money raised reportedly goes to administrative costs as opposed to programs (Note: charitynavigator.org currently rates it 3 of 4 stars, charitywatch.org rates it a ‘C’). Not to mention the aggressive (over-reaching?) approach in defending their logo/brand. These types of issues are not unique to WWP and are seemingly symptomatic of many large charity organizations at some point. Can they fix it? Probably. More importantly, will they fix it?

This also got me thinking more broadly about veterans/military-support charities. I’ve never made a direct contribution to WWP. Not because I don’t believe in their cause but rather because I’ve elected to support a couple significantly smaller veteran charities to which I have closer/direct connections. I’m guessing a lot of people here probably take a similar approach. When we give to a charity, we want to know that our contribution makes a difference. These smaller charities allow me to more directly see the results and I know that nearly 100% is directed to programs. They have a niche. But, the concern with smaller orgs will always be their longevity and effectiveness due to their relative size and obscurity. In addition, there are so many of these smaller veterans’ charities with similar objectives (sometimes there are so many that knowing what’s legit can be a concern) they sometimes get diluted/lost in the mix. It seems some would benefit from the synergies of partnership/consolidation.

WWP vs SOWF

Scroll down about half-way to look at expenses vs program funds.

Bottom line, WWP is like a HOA: there to make money for the admin while delivery as little service as possible to just be legal.

I quit contributing to them a long time ago. There is a lot of their "administrative" money that could truly help a lot of Wounded Warriors!

I've been hearing bad things about WWP for the last four years. I have a friend who helps organize scuba dives down in the Carib for wounded vets...and he says WWP always shows up but doesn't contribute a dime to these activities; airfare, dinners, lodging, dive lessons and supervision, cell phones, computers, all privately donated to these vets. Here's another take on the OP.

Wounded Warrior Project reportedly accused of wasting donor money | Fox News

I think a key thing in all this is that there's a lot of really good Veterans being used as volunteers in their programs. These men and women believe in the cause and see the benefits first hand. But how much does it blind them to the corruption at the top?

They were very involved while I was at a WTU. However, if you look at the money, and where it's going, and it's pretty easy to see they are not focused on the veteran community. It's sad, and I honestly think they should be fully investigated, with a public report of funds...

And the legion of WWP copy-cat charities that somehow get a license. They know a good thing when they see it. I come across these dudes all the time...some dweeb in surplus BDUs, 200 pounds of shit in a 100 pound bag. Ever question any of these guys? I have. No sir, I never served...then why are you wearing a fucking uniform??

Last edited:
WWP is a corporate brand using an emotional subject.

We have a member who has benefited greatly form WWP. We have at least two who barely received a drive by visit in the hospital. I think only one them received a t-shirt. To be fair they do great things, but proportionate to the dollars donated or when compared to similar charities? Not bloody likely.

They've become a brand you can find everywhere and their logo is genius. What's more heroic than carrying a wounded comrade out of danger? They've partnered with Heinz, Under Armor, and half of the planet. You can't escape them and why should you? They help our wounded and in this post-9/11 pseudo "we love the military" US what's more noble than throwing a few dollars at wounded warriors? If you don't then you clearly don't love 'Merica, right?

I think Steven Nardizzi's position is quite clear.

Our Mission - Charity Defense Council

Our goal is singular and bold: to change the way people think about changing the world. To let them know that low overhead is not the way the world gets changed. That poor executive compensation is not a strategic plan for ending hunger or poverty or curing disease. That inadequate, donated resources are not the path to global transformation.

He sits on their advisory board. An organization whose explicit goal is to fight for higher salaries for the CEO's who run charitable organizations. WWP's founder wants more money and is willing to fight you for it. For your money. For him.

They are a corporate brand out to make money and they hide behind your emotional attachment to the subject matter. They are the new Scientology.

I've been hearing bad things about WWP for the last four years. I have a friend who helps organize scuba dives down in the Carib for wounded vets...and he says WWP always shows up but doesn't contribute a dime to these activities; airfare, dinners, lodging, dive lessons and supervision, cell phones, computers, all privately donated to these vets. Here's another take on the OP.

Wounded Warrior Project reportedly accused of wasting donor money | Fox News

Is he the SUDS guy?

Is he the SUDS guy?

Negative, his is HSA, Handicapped Scuba Association. He's my Nam buddy in Philly who dives in Bonaire every year. He's former Marine NCO, combat wounded, has a son who's a Marine Captain, another who's an FBI SA. He and his group do wonderful things for OIF/OEF guys.

Last edited:
...I think Steven Nardizzi's position is quite clear.

Our Mission - Charity Defense Council

He sits on their advisory board. An organization whose explicit goal is to fight for higher salaries for the CEO's who run charitable organizations. WWP's founder wants more money and is willing to fight you for it. For your money. For him.

They are a corporate brand out to make money and they hide behind your emotional attachment to the subject matter. They are the new Scientology.

At least he 's an honest thieving bastard. :whatever:

Non profit CEO's salaries need to be high to attract the talent necessary to expand the brand. If you pay a CEO 60K a year, you are going to get a 60K a year worker.

I had this exact conversation with one of my classes on Friday. WWP manages what... $250, $300 million, and several thousand employees? Something that big, you're going to need to shell out some $$$ to get the management team you need to optimize that organization. Otherwise, people with that much talent are going to go over to the private sector. It would be great if people with that much talent would do jobs like that for free, but self-interest is a legitimate motivator, and altruism only takes us so far. I love the Army and our nation, but I wouldn't still be in uniform if I wasn't getting paid pretty well to do what I do.

I heard a TED talk from Dan Pallotta that made much the same point. Before listening I would definitely have said low overhead, low salaries for employees/CEOs was the way to go with a charity - the only way to represent the values of your organization. However, after listening to the TED talk I'm not so sure. Certainly an area I would need to know much more about before forming a strong opinion.

On a similar vein I've listened to several TED talks and read some interesting articles about how the most effective 'charity' is in fact a for-profit model - the Gameen bank, micro-finance, and a number of other initiatives have made significant advances in the 3rd world building a business model where self-interest drives their altruistic goals.

TED talk here: Dan Pallotta: The way we think about charity is dead wrong | TED Talk | TED.com

I had this exact conversation with one of my classes on Friday. WWP manages what... $250, $300 million, and several thousand employees? Something that big, you're going to need to shell out some $$$ to get the management team you need to optimize that organization. Otherwise, people with that much talent are going to go over to the private sector. It would be great if people with that much talent would do jobs like that for free, but self-interest is a legitimate motivator, and altruism only takes us so far. I love the Army and our nation, but I wouldn't still be in uniform if I wasn't getting paid pretty well to do what I do.

I don't disagree with that. I think if you want to succeed, you need talented leadership and that usually doesn't come cheap. You also have to pay your employees a competitive salary, or you won't have very good employees. The talent will go where they feel they are appreciated.

My biggest issue is the spending on lavish retreats and such. That seems wasteful.

More from CBS:

Wounded Warrior Project on Charity Navigator's watch list

In another response to the on-going CBS News investigation of Wounded Warrior Project, Charity Navigator, a national evaluator of charities, put the country's most prominent veterans charity on its watch list.

Even though it is on their watchlist, it ranks 3 out of 4 stars or whatever.

Charity Navigator - CN Watchlist

Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project

I find it interesting the HQ and the mailing address for donations aren't even in the same state.

It's a valid argument, sir, the problem is, the public isn't going to buy it.

Donations are fueled by publicity that creates sympathy. There aren't many people who are going to feel all that sympathetic to a charity CEO who goes around lobbying for higher salaries for charity CEOs. No matter what the logic is. Their gonna hate him. The last thing you want to do as a charity CEO is generate hate. He makes a half-million a year, a fortune to most Americans. Not anywhere near the stratosphere of private sector CEO salaries, granted, but public perception is, IMV, everything.

Last edited:
It's a valid argument, sir, the problem is, the public isn't going to buy it.

Donations are fueled by publicity that creates sympathy. There aren't many people who are going to feel all that sympathetic to a charity CEO who goes around lobbying for higher salaries for charity CEOs. No matter what the logic is. It's going to be a real hard sell for Mr. Nardizzi, even harder if not impossible given the negative publicity WWP is now getting. Nardizzi makes a half-million dollars a year, a fortune to most people. Not anywhere near the stratosphere of private sector CEO salaries, granted, but public perception is everything .

Well the public is full of idiots who don't understand economics.

Back