Zero a Rifle at 100 yds but for 300 - 600 and beyond

I don't suppose my Springfield Armory Super Match has the shut off!?! I will look when I get home.

I will have to find it on the net so I know what I am looking for first!?!

Very Interesting!

I don't suppose my Springfield Armory Super Match has the shut off!?! I will look when I get home.

I will have to find it on the net so I know what I am looking for first!?!

Very Interesting!

Gas port near the end of the barrel. It is on the left hand side, located between the barrel and gas calendar. It is a straight slotted round head. Up and down (perpendicular to the barrel) it is on, turn it 90 degrees, slot parallel to the barrel it is off.

Thanks, I knew a Marine would know!!!!

It doesn't take a Marine, just another soldier or sailor or airman to know his his shit. }:-)

Hollis on the other hand is a rare exception to this particular area of study. :cool:

It doesn't take a Marine, just another soldier or sailor or airman to know his his shit. }:-)

Hollis on the other hand is a rare exception to this particular area of study. :cool:

Yeah but Marines all have an affinity for M-14's!!!

I am new to the M1A and just have not had the time to GET EDUMICATED! I know there are many folks here who have experience on the more recent versions like the M-21 and M-25's.

I am new to the M1A and just have not had the time to GET EDUMICATED! I know there are many folks here who have experience on the more recent versions like the M-21 and M-25's.

Can't argue with that. :cool:

Can't argue with that. :cool:

I guess I have more money than brains!!! I could have kitted 2 or 3 AR's for the price of this rifle. But I already have 2 of those!!!

But it is sooooo cool! I love it!!!! Even with the GAS on, it drives tacks!!! At least out to 200 yds. I hope to get her out to a real range soonest!!! I am sure it can shoot better than I can for the time being!!!

I shot my first High Power match with an M1A (M14) NM, I think I was 14 years old. I love the old wood and iron "man stopper" but my AR's are just better shooters...

They are great rifles!

I wanted to get a White-feather but when I got mine Afghanistan and Iraq (rightfully so) needed them more than I did! So I got the Super Match with the Black McMillan Stock. The Walnut is prettier! But I like the look of mine!

Back to the subject at hand! I decided to replace the 2 scopes that do not have bullet drop compensator's on them. So I can zero and adjust more easily.

Now I need to research which scopes to get. Always been a Leupold fan!

Opinions on scopes for my 7mm Mag or my .22-250?

Back in the day at DM school we used the M-14s, modified as the DMR or Designated Marksman Rifle. McMillan stocks, Leupold/Unertl scopes, Harris Bi-pods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marine_Corps_Designated_Marksman_Rifle
I'm not a big fan of that system, too be honest. For precision shooting I'd take a bolt gun any day, I think most guys would. At the schoolhouse we would bring the DMRs down to the 100yd line each day to cold-bore them, and with some guns, we would get major deviations from the prior day's cold bore. It's very frustrating, to say the least when you're working with a gun like that with a new shooter, trying to figure out if it's the shooter or the gun. More often then not the problems can be traced back to the gas system: some guns could shoot could with a dirty gas system, some would be way off with just a little gunk. AND, I'm talking way off -- like in the birm. No shit. You can't have that with a precision rifle. Or a rifle that's expected to do a precision job. As I've mentioned, I was involved with the R&D of the new DMR up in Quantico before I got out in 99, and it might be a better gun then the original DMRs or modified M-14s. But it's still the same platform. Give me a bolt gun any day.

I have been looking at Nikon lately, my buddy had the “tactical” and it was great glass. Nikon has a BDC scope set for several different ballistics.

Also Chad works for a PR scope company, you may want to PM him…

Back in the day at DM school we used the M-14s, modified as the DMR or Designated Marksman Rifle. McMillan stocks, Leupold/Unertl scopes, Harris Bi-pods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marine_Corps_Designated_Marksman_Rifle
I'm not a big fan of that system, too be honest. For precision shooting I'd take a bolt gun any day, I think most guys would. At the schoolhouse we would bring the DMRs down to the 100yd line each day to cold-bore them, and with some guns, we would get major deviations from the prior day's cold bore. It's very frustrating, to say the least when you're working with a gun like that with a new shooter, trying to figure out if it's the shooter or the gun. More often then not the problems can be traced back to the gas system: some guns could shoot could with a dirty gas system, some would be way off with just a little gunk. AND, I'm talking way off -- like in the birm. No shit. You can't have that with a precision rifle. Or a rifle that's expected to do a precision job. As I've mentioned, I was involved with the R&D of the new DMR up in Quantico before I got out in 99, and it might be a better gun then the original DMRs or modified M-14s. But it's still the same platform. Give me a bolt gun any day.

What was the round count on those rifles ?

Did those rifles need a bore replacement ?

What dope was being used ?

How skilled are the shooters ?

Dirty weapons are a no go in anyones back yard.

A DMR should be semi auto, not bolt action.

What range distances do you expect out of a DMR rifle. :uhh:

What was the round count on those rifles ?

Did those rifles need a bore replacement ?

What dope was being used ?

How skilled are the shooters ?

Dirty weapons are a no go in anyones back yard.

A DMR should be semi auto, not bolt action.

What range distances do you expect out of a DMR rifle. :uhh:

I was referring to the old DMR's. They were the original ones the armorer's threw together up at Quantico, I thought about that afterwards that I should have stated that a little more clearly. That's the reason for the mixture of scopes, we taught the Leupold and the old Unertal scopes, but the new ones built only have Leupold's.

The dope they used and the one in question was the cold bore zero from the day before. Or earlier in the day, some days we would let the guns cool down while we did observation exercises and then re-shoot the cold bore. Sometimes we would do mandatory cleanings, sometimes we would just let them cool and then shoot them again to confirm the cold bore.

Our preference was to always have them shooting the cold bore with a clean weapon, but sometimes that's shooter preference, in my experience. So we allowed them to shoot it like that and try it, and then we encouraged them to always shoot a cold bore with a clean weapon.

The shooter's were all students, so use that for an experience level, but I could get behind one of them guns and it would do the same thing. It was more the gun then it was shooter error.

Lastly, I agree that a DMR should be semi-auto. But I'd rather have a bolt gun, myself.

I can check when I get home tonight, but I think the requirement for accuracy for that school was targets out to 500 - 700 yards. The school was taught at Dam Neck where we had platforms out to 700 yards.

Good questions, I should have been more clear earlier.}:-)

Also, these DM's or the ones that we trained back then who worked/work for Security Force Battalion, they are all looking at cold bore, clean weapon type of shooting scenarios. For the most part. As opposed to your battlefield DM who is shooting more often, at multiple targets in a wider and more complex battlefield. These DM's are stationed at Naval Installations around the world and in the US and the emphasis on training them was more about precision shooting scenarios -- i.e. with hostages, in and around nukes and other special weapons and equipment. But we had these jalopy of weapons at the time in the original DMR.

Keep in mind,,we also trained FAST Company, but we usually did a different course with them, usually it was only FAST Co guys and in that type of course we placed more emphasis on multiple targets and more scenarios to what they might expect deploying to an area.

I have been looking at Nikon lately, my buddy had the “tactical” and it was great glass. Nikon has a BDC scope set for several different ballistics.

Also Chad works for a PR scope company, you may want to PM him…

Thanks I will PM him!

I am a strong believer in Nikon lenses. I have about 12 Nikon lenses for my photo gear and always hot Nikon after my Survival days end crossed into Combat Photo.

I have looked at the scopes a few times and they look impressive!

My Springfield Super Match is way serious accurate. At least out to 200 yds. I mean I am shooting clovers all day long. Matter of fact I put target stickers all over the paper because if I shoot more than a 3 - 5 shot volley I can't tell any longer which one was my last shot.

I know, I know 200 YDS ain't shit. But it is all I have close to home.

I agree that a bolt gun is always more accurate. Just the mechanics of the weapon would dictate it with a quality bolt!

But my M1a is a tac driver for sure.

The only weapon I own that is more accurate is my .22-250 which is pretty darn wicked too! But then it is a bolt! Probably the 7mm too but I have not even scoped that yet. So I am lacking rounds down range with that particular weapon.

All of them can shoot better than I can. Especially when wind, elevation and environmental conditions requires expert know how.

Back