‘Elite’ military units: Army Airborne (paratroopers)

Special Forces (Green Berets—I volunteered for SF five times. While I was in Vietnam I was on orders to be transferred to the Fifth Special Forces Group, but the orders were changed for unknown reasons.)

I know why...because you can't get into SF with a vagina. Not that I know from experience or anything......:doh:}:-)

I can't believe you even posted that. It is a bunch of bullshit written by a clown with a huge chip on his shoulder (why, I have no idea). I struggled to get through the article above and his tirade about the Rangers. He is beyond wrong on numerous points. He's an idiot.

(Second response.)

I agree with you 100%! I had read this article once before and decided the ass-hat that wrote it was a full of crap! I didn't bother to re-read it. :2c:

IMO the article has no merit what-so-ever! :mad:

He needs his sadsack ass kicked!

It would be nice if we could get someone into the Ivy Leagues to represent us rather than confirm their assumptions that we're a bunch of knuckedraggers who don't possess the intellect to achieve their rank and status.

Does Stanford University count? I am asking because the Ivy League is made of only 8 schools, all in the northeastern U.S.
Ivy League

It's not necessarily the jump, though that's part of the job.

It's not even the landing, though that's part of the job too.

It's what comes after the landing that makes a paratrooper.

And that's plenty.

This jag-off should be strapped down and forced to watch the entire boxed set of "Band of Brothers", over and over again, till he "get's it".

Applied for SF five times? And wasn't "invited" to participate?
Gee. With an attitude like that, I wonder why.

How could his superiors been so stupid? How did we ever manage to muddle through without him?

Dude, if you apply five times and the folks in charge look at you and decide that your particular combination of brains, talent and training would be most beneficial to the organization if applied "somewhere else"? I don't know, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess...

Maybe it's you.

Racing Kitty: I like your attitude. Can you talk to my wife. She still believes that everybody deserves chances.
All: The guy is still a waste of air that we all need. I vote to ex-communicate him from our extinence. That is all.

F.M.

I agree P.Beck it's not necessarily the jumping out of planes that makes Airborne badass although that is part of being a paratrooper. This guy obviously is just trying make himself look like an omnipotent asshole...so far he has just gotten the asshole part across not so much on the omnipotence.

Airborne soldiers are -by textbook definition- elite.

Indeed the international heritage of the Airborne soldier makes it almost impossible to discuss elite soldiers without mentioning them. The direct lineage of Airborne soldiers -from one generation to another- reads like a who's who of great military units. It is this bloodline that forever enshrines the Airborne soldier as elite. A tiny excerpt of their lineage:

• First paratroopers: 1927 Folgore Italian commandos (a Division-strength unit resisting against 6 enemy divisions, and earning their respect as a result)
  • No. 11 SAS, operation Colossus- First British paratroop use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Colossus), the operation that put the "AIR" in Special Air Service
  • Operation Biting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Biting (116 man force, and the critical game-changing discovery that CHAFF could defeat German RADAR)
  • Operation Avalanche, the successful Allied landing on Italy. The 82nd Airborne Div, the 504th & 505th & 509th Parachute Infantry Regiments supported a huge conventional allied force; responsible for cutting off German forces south of Salerno, and later repelling the counterattack of 6 German divisions- an action that ultimately saw Hitler withdraw Rommel from Southern Italy- an enormous victory- impossible to achieve without the support of the Airborne forces.
  • Operation Junction City in Vietnam- the only major Airborne drop throughout the conflict- is frequently used by critics of the war as an example of what American forces were capable of doing when freed from the bureaucratic entanglements of Washington, and permitted to fight unhindered. The massive search-and-destroy mission showed complete dominance by Airborne units until they were withdrawn.
  • Recent operations in Grenada, Panama, Kosovo, Yugoslavia, and Kandahar Afghanistan all have demonstrated that a superb light infantry with Airborne capabilities could utterly dominate the battlefield using the doctrine of vertical envelopement.
The heritage and lineage of the modern Airborne soldier is one born out of great victories- making them better than the adversaries they faced- one of the key criteria which would need to be met in order for the term "elite" to be applied. Another key criteria: Pedigree- a bloodline. Not many forces have a more robust repertoire and famed history than the Airborne. Chances are, if the fight was important, somewhere in there sooner or later, there were either Airborne units or Airborne-trained soldiers. The third key criteria: the status of being a small group within a much larger society. Airborne make up a small percentage of the entire US military- as they do in the forces of any other nation's military. Relatively speaking they are small, thus satisfying the third generally accepted metric for what constitutes an elite organization.

Airborne troops are responsible for key victories in some of the most dangerous, profound, and militarily significant battles in recent times. They deploy faster, farther, and deeper than conventional forces, often with sparse equipment and almost no support at times. Commanders in many conflicts have placed the entire outcome of given battles in the hands of Airborne forces. What was dreamt up in theory textbooks was played out using Airborne troopers. When friendly lines were failing or collapsing, it was Airborne troops that were used to reinforce them.

If that isn't elite, I don't know what is.

I agree JBS... very well said. I am very proud of the legacy that I carry on my uniform in the shape of those silver wings. I am also proud of the legacy that I see when I look at the little piece of cloth, black and gold, half moon in shape. When I look at the dagger, backed by three lightning bolts, floating on an arrowhead shaped piece of cloth I always think of the men who came before me. Generations of men who gave their lives for those men just like them... fighting on either side of them. All in service to this great nation.

I never forget. Ever.

Every morning, when I pull on my boots... I make it a point to reflect my own brothers in arms, that have died near me, around me, as well as those before them. I pause and then finish lacing them up... proud that I am still able to serve.

Is Airborne "Elite"? Well... without the Airborne... it's hard to say how many of us would be here today.

Even in today's modern battlefield environment, insertion by canopy is still one of the most elite forms of getting trained men on the battlefield so they can complete their mission.

I just had to add a few words... but JBS hit the nail on the head.

Elite is a word....but I can tell you that I've always been impressed with the attitude of paratroopers. jumping, despite the article is not "easy". If it was easy, everyone would do it. jumping tandem with a civilian instructor does not even hold water to be a 20 year weighed down to the gills with kit jumping static line for the first time. I think the author is mis-interpreting the "method of insertion" with the whole community itself. Case in point:

My only jumping experience is ABN school and one jump as a cadet on CTLT with D/3-325PIR. I went there b/c I wanted to work with the 82nd Airborne (in part b/c my father was in the 307th EN BN(ABN) at Bragg in the 60's.). I was impressed by their "can-do" attitude, their physical fitness, and the common sense way of business. They were tough on themselves, and pushed each other constantly to perform better. I saw this across the whole company I was assigned to.

I tried my hardest to get assigned to Bragg but was assigned to Fort Hood and deployed to OIF (my true goal: being an IN PL in combat, which I got the opportunity to do)

Being in the mech infantry since 2006, I understand the difference between the paratroopers and my mech guys. Don't get me wrong, I loved being a PL and company XO with Bradley's, but there is a DEFINITE difference.

Elite isn't just a word....however the author of the aforementioned article seems to think so.

I'm no expert, just my two cents

• First paratroopers: 1927 Folgore Italian commandos (a Division-strength unit resisting against 6 enemy divisions, and earning their respect as a result)
  • No. 11 SAS, operation Colossus- First British paratroop use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Colossus), the operation that put the "AIR" in Special Air Service
  • Operation Biting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Biting (116 man force, and the critical game-changing discovery that CHAFF could defeat German RADAR)
  • Operation Avalanche, the successful Allied landing on Italy. The 82nd Airborne Div, the 504th & 505th & 509th Parachute Infantry Regiments supported a huge conventional allied force; responsible for cutting off German forces south of Salerno, and later repelling the counterattack of 6 German divisions- an action that ultimately saw Hitler withdraw Rommel from Southern Italy- an enormous victory- impossible to achieve without the support of the Airborne forces.
  • Operation Junction City in Vietnam- the only major Airborne drop throughout the conflict- is frequently used by critics of the war as an example of what American forces were capable of doing when freed from the bureaucratic entanglements of Washington, and permitted to fight unhindered. The massive search-and-destroy mission showed complete dominance by Airborne units until they were withdrawn.
  • Recent operations in Grenada, Panama, Kosovo, Yugoslavia, and Kandahar Afghanistan all have demonstrated that a superb light infantry with Airborne capabilities could utterly dominate the battlefield using the doctrine of vertical envelopement.

I would like to add two more examples of the exemplary fighting spirit of the paratroopers, who excel not only in offensive operations, but in defensive battles as well.

• 101st Airborne Division at Bastogue. The rest of the army retreated while the paratroopers stood firm. When the Germans demanded their surrender, the American commander, General McAuliffe, replied, "Nuts." This action by the 101st was a thorn in the Ardennes Offensive, slowing the German spearhead, whose tanks and other vehicles were critically short of fuel.
  • German paratroopers at the Battle of Monte Cassino. Enduring intense bombing by Allied bombers, the German paratroopers repulsed every attack by troops from many nations, including Americans, British, Polish, New Zealanders. They even repulsed an attack by the famed Gurkhas. The paratroopers withdrew to avoid encirclement only when the other parts of the Gustav Line collapsed.

"eliteness"

The only unit I ever served with was the 82nd Airborne Division. So my experience is slightly biased. That said, the standards in Dvision compared to say the 3rd I.D are astronomical. Below I'll try to explain with bullets.

1. PT standards. If you got less than a 270 in my unit you were basically PNG'ed and were doing doing PT 2x per day until at that minimum level. If on the second attempt you got less than that and did'nt have a profile or another excuse you were gone. That's just the PT test. On any given day we would run 4-8 miles minimum. Some runs were longer than 10 miles. We did ruck marches 2x per month and had to do a 20k in under 3 hours. Of course due to the nature of competition unit ruck marches rarely took longer than 2 1/2 hours for a 20k. Again if you fell out of a run or ruck march and didnt remedy the situation immediately you were gone, but before you left Division you were left to the whims of the E-4 mafia while living in the barracks. (Not fun).

2. Weapons quals. If you scored less than expert PNG

3. If you weren't spit shined and pressed every day with your barracks room clean enough to eat off of. PNG

4. You were a cherry in Division until you had enough Division jumps to spell the word AIRBORNE. That's 8 jumps so on average you'd do MAYBE 2 jumps per month so the minimum you remained a cherry in my unit was at least 4 months. Being a leg or a cherry in Division is a fate worse than death. NOTHING in basic training prepared me for being a cherry in the 82nd Airborne. It was pure torture but it made me a DAMN good soldier. many soldiers who arrived with me at 19th replacement were'nt around anymore 6 months later. A cherry blast lasted anywhere from a few weeks (squared away cherry) to several months (soup sandwhich cherry or cherry with an attitude). If you did'nt make it past your cherry blast with satisfaction from the enlisted men in your platoon you were tortured physically and mentally until you left the unit or improved to satisfaction. Mileage may vary. You were allways someone's cherry. I've seen cherry blasts where some dudes got seriously F-ed up. Is hazing good? I think so. Once you proved yourself you felt like part of the pack and felt invincible. The 82nd doesn't have an offical screening process, but believe me it has an informal one. I can say no more.........

5. You had to know your job, your TL's job, your SL's job, your PL's job. You were expected to be that last one left and to take command when everyone else around you was dead. A private in the 82nd Airborne is more knowledgable in martial matters than any E-5 in a leg division Hands down.

AIRBORNE!

Wait a second. You can have sex during freefall?!!! :eek:

"Others have had sex during free falls."

Hmmmmm :uhh:}:-)

Hahahaha...

sexe.jpg

Back