‘Elite’ military units: Army Airborne (paratroopers)

President Bush did not make a static-line equipment jump out of a military aircraft- he did a tandem skydiving jump (and good on him!)- apples and oranges.

Different countries have different standards to become airborne or be considered a paratrooper. In the US, the school just isn't that hard- physically. But it is a gut check, and if people are honest with themselves and think back to when they graduated from the course, they probably felt a sense of accomplishment for having done something that not everyone can do.

In a unit, the value of jumping together is largely the teamwork required to pull it off, and the camaraderie generated by a shared experience- much like playing organized athletics, except this shit can actually kill you.

President Bush did not make a static-line equipment jump out of a military aircraft- he did a tandem skydiving jump (and good on him!)- apples and oranges.

Different countries have different standards to become airborne or be considered a paratrooper. In the US, the school just isn't that hard- physically. But it is a gut check, and if people are honest with themselves and think back to when they graduated from the course, they probably felt a sense of accomplishment for having done something that not everyone can do.

In a unit, the value of jumping together is largely the teamwork required to pull it off, and the camaraderie generated by a shared experience- much like playing organized athletics, except this shit can actually kill you.

Amen. The nature of the jump is a big deal too, i.e, wind, postage stamp DZ's, trees, water, visibility, ruck load, the FNG next to you still holding his barf bag on the way down, the guy on the other side of you who pissed his pants on the 34 foot tower in jump school, buildings, sheep on the the DZ, etc. Anyone one can exit an aircraft dead or alive, it's the skill sets of various units that allow them to effectively be inserted by air and link up afterward and drive on to the Ranger objective that makes the difference. In short, FUCK THAT West Point POS COCKSUCKER!

Just a little nugget of info. Bush 41 has 6 jumps total. 1 in 1944, an AFF jump in 1998 or 1999, and then several tandems. His last tandem was in 2007 at 83, 10 months after hip replacement surgery. He's said he would like ot make another this year for his 85th birthday. So Jump #1 was freefall with a round from a burning plane, #2 was AFF where he opened his own rig and flew his own canopy, the rest were tandems with the Golden Knights.

Back to the show.

Just a little nugget of info. Bush 41 has 6 jumps total. 1 in 1944, an AFF jump in 1998 or 1999, and then several tandems. His last tandem was in 2007 at 83, 10 months after hip replacement surgery. He's said he would like ot make another this year for his 85th birthday. So Jump #1 was freefall with a round from a burning plane, #2 was AFF where he opened his own rig and flew his own canopy, the rest were tandems with the Golden Knights.

Back to the show.

Good info, I didn't know that.

Wtf? This guy's bio sounds like something a kid wrote for his teacher... Btw, I wonder what this turd burgler was jumping in with?....a pillow and hogie in his ruck? Classic RI load

I just saw his bio. What a clown. He was a SIGNAL OFFICER that somehow claims he could command a LRRP unit and that SF should grab him up because of his skill sets.

To review:

Signal Officer: Radios and shit
Infantry Officer: Killing people and shit

What a moron. Just reading his articles makes me dumber than I was before.

whiterose, Do NOT post anymore of his crap on this board.

Yeah, the guy who wrote this article is an idiot. We wouldn't want a guy like that on my team nor in my unit.

Bush 41 will be jumping today, tandem, with the Knights. I believe Robyn Meade (sp?) will be on the same load.

Pretty cool. We should all be so lucky when we're his age.

Back