1A9X1- special missions aviation

Ndevries99

Unverified
Good afternoon everyone,

As the title reads, I’m looking for info for this specific Job in the Air National Guard.

I’m 27 years old with 0 military experience. Currently I’m a Fireman/EMT in a busy east coast department. I consider myself to be very self motivated.

I’ve done hours of research on this AFSC. Pretty sure I’ve read everything there is to read. Almost all of it refers to Active duty Air Force. Which I’m sure most of it is the same for the Air Guard with some differences. I’ve contacted a recruiter but haven’t gotten a response yet. So I’m reaching out to this community for help. So my questions are listed below if the question is found anywhere else please send the link. Thank you in advance. Again no military experience, just Incase the questions come off as ignorant.

1) How would the process be different for ANG vs Active?

2) on the ANG website it lists 4 bases that have this AFSC. (Kirtland AFB, Moffett Fed. Airfield, JB Elmendorf, and Francis S. Gabreski ANG base) are they the only bases that use 1A9X1, or are they the only ones that have current spot openings for it?

3) What is it like for a special missions aviation in the ANG? How often are they deployed compared to other ANG units?

4) any other information with significance would be great.

Cheers

Good afternoon everyone,

As the title reads, I’m looking for info for this specific Job in the Air National Guard.

I’m 27 years old with 0 military experience. Currently I’m a Fireman/EMT in a busy east coast department. I consider myself to be very self motivated.

I’ve done hours of research on this AFSC. Pretty sure I’ve read everything there is to read. Almost all of it refers to Active duty Air Force. Which I’m sure most of it is the same for the Air Guard with some differences. I’ve contacted a recruiter but haven’t gotten a response yet. So I’m reaching out to this community for help. So my questions are listed below if the question is found anywhere else please send the link. Thank you in advance. Again no military experience, just Incase the questions come off as ignorant.

1) How would the process be different for ANG vs Active?
Make sure you are contacting the Guard Recruiter, take a trip to the base and do a face to face as most Air Guard recruiters do not return calls.

2) on the ANG website it lists 4 bases that have this AFSC. (Kirtland AFB, Moffett Fed. Airfield, JB Elmendorf, and Francis S. Gabreski ANG base) are they the only bases that use 1A9X1, or are they the only ones that have current spot openings for it?

Harrisburg PA. has an AFSOC unit with two enlisted AFSC's (Loadmaster and Media (?) Technician

3) What is it like for a special missions aviation in the ANG? How often are they deployed compared to other ANG units?

Deployment tempos fluctuate, but AFSOC units (Tulsa, Harrisburg, and Kirtland) tend to be gone more often.
The ACC gained units also have a high deployment rate, can not speak about Elmendorf

4) any other information with significance would be great.

What job are you looking at? Gunner, FE, Loadmaster. etc?

Cheers
See bold face within.

yea, it’s 100% ANG. The base I contacted was Francis S. Gabreski ANG base. If I don’t hear anything within the next few days I’ll reach out again.

My research started when looking at FE, then I started to look at gunner. This is when I discovered that they had merged into the 1A9x which peaks both of those interests from what I’ve read. Eventually I’d like to try for PJs but not in the cards right now.

yea, it’s 100% ANG. The base I contacted was Francis S. Gabreski ANG base. If I don’t hear anything within the next few days I’ll reach out again.

My research started when looking at FE, then I started to look at gunner. This is when I discovered that they had merged into the 1A9x which peaks both of those interests from what I’ve read. Eventually I’d like to try for PJs but not in the cards right now.
Again, reaching out doesn't do squat if they have a waiting list or have met their quota. Go in-person during the week (Tue-Thurs) usually yields better results.

Back