2016 Rio Olympics thread -

Total shitshow. They should just have a permanent venue in a place with an established infrastructure. Maybe allow other countries a share of revenue. Places like Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Montreal all jump to mind.

Total shitshow. They should just have a permanent venue in a place with an established infrastructure. Maybe allow other countries a share of revenue. Places like Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Montreal all jump to mind.

I was talking about this the other day. I think they should rotate through the same several places. Pick 4 or 5 places with the established infrastructure, like you said. Countries can share a percentage of the profits based on the number of athletes in attendance. You could even throw bonuses to the top 3 medaling countries or something.

I agree! Changing sites every four years brings money to the host nation, but is it enough to cover the construction costs? Most sites see a loss over all. For me, I'd like to see the Summer Olympics return to is's home; Athens , Greece.Then remain there for future Summer Olympics. After several cycles, the cost to nations pay for each Olympics could well see a decrease in the long run.

The Winter Olympics does not have a home to return to. Having spent time in the Alps, and the US Rocky Mtns. The best powder is in the US, say Denver's Vail or Aspen. I vote for the Winter Olympics homestead in the Rockies.

My $.02.

Whatever happens in Vegas...
Hard agree. Trust me from living there- Vegas is an AMAZING big-event town. They handle more big events than any other city each year (this is my assumption, but seriously, they kill it).

Obscene amount of public transportation, a sprawling city that's able to house thousands of influx people, entertainment for when you're not at the events- if you told Vegas they could host the olympics in 2020? They'd have 3 new sports arenas up and running in 2018 and already have an A-list of people dying to perform and welcome the world.

I never understood why an NFL team or an NBA team isn't immediately moved there. It's an insanely great sports town.

Side note...wife is watching the Opening Ceremonies as she does for every olympics. All I see are a bunch of people dancing around with not unity, no coordination. Makes me think back to the China Opening Ceremonies - they may have had a gun to your head if you fucked up, but they sure knew how to do an opening.

There were people wrapped in aluminum foil dancing with triangles. It looked pretty stupid.

And ghey.

Last edited:
I agree! Changing sites every four years brings money to the host nation, but is it enough to cover the construction costs? Most sites see a loss over all. For me, I'd like to see the Summer Olympics return to is's home; Athens , Greece.Then remain there for future Summer Olympics. After several cycles, the cost to nations pay for each Olympics could well see a decrease in the long run.

The Winter Olympics does not have a home to return to. Having spent time in the Alps, and the US Rocky Mtns. The best powder is in the US, say Denver's Vail or Aspen. I vote for the Winter Olympics homestead in the Rockies.

My $.02.
There are enough former venues that they could use.

Because America's awesome our first gold medal is gun related. Pry that gold from a 19 YO's cold, dead hands.

Teen shooter Ginny Thrasher wins USA's first gold medal of Rio Olympics

RIO DE JANEIRO — American shooter Ginny Thrasher won the first gold medal of the Rio Olympics, pulling off an upset in the women's 10-meter air rifle event Saturday morning.

Thrasher, 19, beat silver medalist Du Li of China in the final round with a total of 208.0, setting an Olympic record in the finals. Du finished with 207.0.

Anyone else happen to see women's beach volleyball last night with the Swiss and Chinese?

Chinese challenged on their game point that the Swiss touched the net and it was successful. Although the replay clearly showed it was in fact the Chinese that hit the net, not the Swiss. After the Chinese had already left and were walking away, the Swiss had complained enough to get a re do for that last point so the Chinese had to come back. Was pretty funny because NBC had already accepted the fate and started a Tom Brokaw special on the Amazon river. Cut Tom off mid sentence. Swiss lost anyways, but it was still a bit crazy.

The cycling was pretty good and some of the swimming. The Hungarian Hosszu's 400m medley heat run was funny because of her coach/husband cheering in the stands. She was close to a WR from the heat.

Hozzu crushed the record by more than 2 seconds. She beat the nearest competitor by 5 seconds. She is a straight up beast.

Back