82nd Airborne jumping in Ft. Bragg - pix

Post #14 \ Picture 2

What are the woodland bags? Are those some of standard jump stowage bags for all the different kinds of rucks and such folks are carrying now?

Exactly.

7point62 said:
And pardon a web-footed Marine for asking the purpose of the geometric shapes taped to the sides of the helmet. For recognition?

They are for recognition in the air and on the ground... Makes finding your assembly area a lil easier at night...or its supposed to. Personally I have never had good luck with the shapes. I prefer chemlights in various colors/arrangements...

HTH,

Crip

Exactly.

They are for recognition in the air and on the ground... Makes finding your assembly area a lil easier at night...or its supposed to. Personally I have never had good luck with the shapes. I prefer chemlights in various colors/arrangements...

HTH,

Crip

I prefer my Etrex and a 8 digit grid:D:p;)

I could be wrong but when I was in, mid."90", we had the shapes to show which co. you were in.

I.E.: I had 1 red tape band around my K-pot band. This meant Bco. I also had a white cross made form tape to show that I was a medic. Cco. used blue tape and so on.
Hope this helps.

F.M.

I could be wrong but when I was in, mid."90", we had the shapes to show which co. you were in.

I.E.: I had 1 red tape band around my K-pot band. This meant Bco. I also had a white cross made form tape to show that I was a medic. Cco. used blue tape and so on.
Hope this helps.

F.M.

My K-Pot alway's just had mud on it after a jump. :uhh::doh:

hires_081205-F-8006M-1213a.jpg

U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Jason McLoud gives a jump brief to a group of soldiers selected from an airborne jump lottery in support of Operation Toy Drop on Pope Air Force Base, N.C., Dec. 5, 2008. McLoud is assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Civil Affairs Team, Psychological Operations Command, 82nd Airborne Division, on Fort Bragg, N.C.
U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. DeNoris A. Mickle

hires_081205-F-8155K-537a.jpg

U.S. Army soldiers practice parachute landing falls after donating toys for an airborne jump lottery during Operation Toy Drop on Pope Air Force Base, N.C., Dec. 5, 2008. The soldiers are assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division.
U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Michael B. Keller

hires_081206-F-1644L-141a.jpg

U.S. Army soldiers assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division prepare to board a C-130 Hercules aircraft during Operation Toy Drop on Fort Bragg, N.C., Dec. 6, 2008.
U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Jeremy Lock

hires_081206-F-8155K-986a.jpg

A U.S. Army soldier assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division parachutes from a C-130 Hercules aircraft during Operation Toy Drop on Fort Bragg, N.C., Dec. 6, 2008.

hires_081206-F-1644L-045a.jpg

U.S. Army soldiers descend from an aircraft during Operation Toy Drop on Fort Bragg, N.C., Dec. 6, 2008. The soldiers are assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division. Operation Toy Drop is an annual airborne jump on Fort Bragg, N.C.
U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Jeremy Lock
hires_081206-F-8155K-238a.jpg

U.S. Army soldiers assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division walk to a rally point, while others parachute from a C-130 Hercules aircraft during Operation Toy Drop on Fort Bragg, N.C., Dec. 6, 2008.
hires_081206-F-8006M-1807a.jpg

Irish Defense Force Sgt. *******, a jumpmaster from the Army Ranger Wing, Curragh Camp, County Kildare, Ireland, prepares to award U.S. Army soldiers assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C., Irish army jump wings during Operation Toy Drop on Fort Bragg, N.C., Dec. 6, 2008.
U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. DeNoris A. Mickle

A couple of more:

29wag6u.jpg

Download HiRes
Sgt. Roy Mitchell, a native of Garden Grove, Calif., assigned Troop C, 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Multi-National Division-Baghdad, pinpoints a target using a specialized optical device prior to the a national police graduation Jan. 9 in the Rusafa District of eastern Baghdad. Paratroopers of 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, partnered with Iraqi security forces to provide security for the NP graduation.
(Photographer: Pfc. Mitchell Taylor : 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division Public Affairs)

shdx.jpg

Download HiRes
Staff Sgt. Wesley Hodges, a native of Elysian Fields, Texas and assigned to Troop C, 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Multi-National Division-Baghdad, mans a security position during a national police graduation Jan. 9 in the Rusafa District of eastern Baghdad. Paratroopers of 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, partnered with Iraqi security forces to provide security during the NP graduation.
(Photographer: Pfc. Mitchell Taylor : 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division Public Affairs)

11rdapg.jpg

Download HiRes
Paratroopers assigned to the Troop C, 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Multi-National Division-Baghdad, partnered with Iraqi security forces to provide security for the national police graduation Jan. 9 in the Rusafa district of eastern Baghdad.

Post #14 \ Picture 2

What are the woodland bags? Are those some of standard jump stowage bags for all the different kinds of rucks and such folks are carrying now?

Those are the Parachutist Drop Bag. You can shove a whole bunch of stuff in the PDB, like your ruck an aid bag and maybe even your body armor or LCE/RACK/MOLLE if you like. It has alot of room in it, but it is heavy. Its handy, in that you can shove alot of crap in it just loose, but when you hit the ground and de-rig it sucks having to hump it around because its so bulky and it is heavy when compared to the Harness, Single Point Release. You can jump it freefall or static line so it is versatile. I always preferred to jump the h-harness or the HSPR.

The 82nd doing it's thing in Iraq:

28urcph.jpg

U.S. Army Sgt. Joey Benavides, of 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, observes the objective through a rifle mounted advanced combat optic while manning a support by fire position during a joint air assault operation planned and led by the Iraqi army and Iraqi national police in the Ma'dain area, east of Baghdad, Iraq, June 26. The Soldiers search for weapons caches and insurgent activity during one of the largest air assault operations conducted in the Multi-National Division - Baghdad area since the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

2ntwdx4.jpg

Iraqi soldiers and U.S. Soldiers of 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, establish security from behind the cover of an earthen berm during a joint air assault operation planned and led by the Iraqi army and Iraqi national police in the Ma'dain area east of Baghdad, Iraq, June 26. The Soldiers search for weapons caches and insurgent activity during one of the largest air assault operations conducted in the Multi-National Division - Baghdad area since the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

124ik95.jpg

U.S. Soldiers of 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, participate in a joint air assault operation planned and led by the Iraqi army and Iraqi national police in the countryside east of Baghdad, Iraq, June 26. The Soldiers search for weapons caches and insurgent activity during one of the largest air assault operations conducted in the Multi-National Division - Baghdad area since the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

bfocl.jpg

U.S. Soldiers of 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, man a position while U.S. Army helicopters pass overhead during a joint air assault operation planned and led by the Iraqi army and Iraqi national police, in the Ma'dain area east of Baghdad, Iraq, June 26. The Soldiers searched for weapons caches and insurgent activity during one of the largest air assault operations conducted in the Multi-National Division - Baghdad area since the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Great pics. I always remember a lot of grumbling on jump days - especially if it was just to make sure we were current. Now I'd take that any day over sitting here in my office. Especially a hollywood daytime jump like the first set. What a great way to spend an afternoon, and you're getting paid for it no less. I guess the grass is always greener.

Back