AAFES concessions to close in Afghanistan

I never had a chow hall or a PX when I was in Afghanistan aside from the times I went back to the rear to do planning or reset training. Most of the time the grunts were in isolated combat outposts or occupying homes, setting up patrol bases etc. I did get to eat at the chow hall at Camp Fallujah though because we would time our resupply runs to coincide with chow hall hours.

One time, at band camp......I was out at Camp Duke, lost my lighter, so I wandered over to the PX. It was nothing but an ARFAB (a tent, for those who don't know) set up beside the basketball court, with a SSG in charge. Nothing there but tobacco products and, oddly, feminine hygeine products. Slow week, I guess.

"Whaddya need, SGM?"

"A lighter."

"I don't have any, SGM, but if you go over to the chow hall and talk to SSG xxxxx, he'll give you an MRE. There's always a pack of matches in an MRE."

"Thanks, brother!"

I LOVE how NCOs think!

I am soooo happy!!! I passed through KAF the other day and they now have a TGIFs on the boardwalk. The main US PX there has more non-American customers to include hundreds of the contract TCNs than US Soldier customers.

I say have small necessity PXs for the US GIs and direct support personnel and close the rest down. You can expect the other CF contingents to keep theirs open so not to worry all you FatBoys.... you will still be able to slop at the trough!!!

Way to Go M4!!!

SF4Ever

Never been to Afghanistan but I sure wish they would have done this in Iraq in 2006. It was out of control then, and even worse when I went back in 2008.

I feel like I'm in one of those (in my best W.C. Fields voice) "when I was a boy..." moments.

Some of these FOBs look like they have more fast food choices than a lot of American towns I've passed through. A Conex stocked with the essentials and a few other discretionary and comfort items.

Back in 1990, even though we were only deployed for a relatively short period of time as an expeditionary force, I thought that having the option of getting either oreos or nutter butter was a pretty good deal. The lighter and shorter the logistical tail, the better.

Somebody definitely made a bundle on those KFC, Taco Bell and BK concessions. And it's like having a captive audience for a consumer.

Back