ACU VS MULTICAM

Some higher up (Gen or project manager) has a great consulting job lined up after retirement and he'll use all his power to get something in the inventory.

The saddest thing thing is this is oh so true. A lot of people in the areas that make these decisions are one foot into retirement already, something to walk into on the dark side tends to override a lot of ethos and values.
Also you have guys with straight prejudices towards certain things. I know one WO who fought like a fat chick over a donut against anything with Velcro on it. His reasoning "it's noisy" the suggestion that so was shooting at someone didn't quite make it through his thick skull.

Multicam is great but I think two things will kill it:

1. SOF is using it and when regular joes start asking for it, it gets fobbed off as "they just want to be like SOF" by those that "know"

2. Multicam was the hands down better cam, UCP came out of nowhere and surprised a hell of a lot of people, hence why there was lot of MC products available and very few UCP. To bring it back in now would require a hell of a lot of high ranking people to say they were wrong.

I'm not in the US Army so I can only base this of information I have from guys that are but for the Army to hold their hat in their hand and tell the Marines they have the better cam, can we use it? would be only slightly over shadowed by the blizzard raging in the fiery pits of hell. IIRC the "universal camouflage" was brought in to save money. Correct me if I get it wrong but BDUs were covered by clothing allowance? but DCUs had to be purchased with unit funds.

For years there has been papers put forward that a bunch of Senior Es should be made Subject Matter Experts and sent to Natrick. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't happened. If it happened it would be great and might provide some QC over certain BS but they would have to not all be yes men who built themselves into a clique. All they need to do is say, it needs to do this, weigh this and be able to be used like this and then critique the prototypes.

Damn that was long.

Just give everyone multicam and be done w/it.

Speaking of which, you guys know that shirt that guys wear with the regular ACU sleeves and "underarmor"-type torso to wear with armor? WTF is with troops running around Qandahar airport at the little "mall" there with those shirts and no armor? Damn that is lame...

You never got issued the FROG suit? The Marine Corps has the same kind of thing minus the Army advertising slogan on the chest.

We should put the Army seal all over our ACU's so they can't use them either!>:{:p:doh:}:-)

waste of money - even WE don't want to use them!

Yeah I know, I don't want to wear the stupid ACU's either... Me thinky I will wear a brown raider suit and my Cav hat! }:-)

sounds like a fuckin plan!!! though, it'll be a minute before I can join you......

I read the same article in Army times today. Some of the "improvements" are take away from the BDUs.

As the saying goes: "If it ain't broke......"

yup. Viper, you got any more info or linkies to the "fixes"? just curious as to the plans to "fix" the broke uniforms.

Yeah those are the ACU Combat shirts. Fielded those to my BN when I was the S-4 last year.

we're starting to get one of two. I'll leave out details, but suffice it to say those that will benefit the most are getting them first, the Fobbits and Toc Rangers are getting them last.

You never got issued the FROG suit? The Marine Corps has the same kind of thing minus the Army advertising slogan on the chest.

haven't seen that.... though I did see a HSLD Sailor (use your imagination) with some Desert MARPAT, but with velcro in lots of places. I did a double take.

someone didn't fact check that article very well. it wasn't a stryker brigade that tested it, it was 48th BDE GAARNG. they were the first to get it issued for testing downrange, and it was through their 1-year tour that the crotch issues and shitty velcro were discovered, and subsequently "fixed" , though we all know that ACUs still have issues with both. also, the "feedback" they refer to was from the aforementioned guard unit.... not rank and file AD soldiers lke they did with the Army Service Uniform. se la vi. it's here for a good while, may as well get used to it.

I've got no problem with the shirt. I just think it's lame as hell to cruise around in the rear with that shirt instead of the regular one... Next thing they'll be wearing their silky running shorts to the local bar. At least the Navy guys would appreciate that. ;)

I agree. if you're on mission, or on a break from mission, it's cool. but you can't tell me some guys in a signal BN have a need to wear that shirt on a daily basis. :uhh: though, I was not aware of this, but apparently it IS approved for flight crew use. THAT's pretty damn nice. would have kept me a lot cooler last tour...

Until that shit melts onto you if the bird crashes... No thanks - I only wear that stuff when I'm NOT flying.

you are incorrect sir... that's why it's approve for flight, it WON'T melt to your skin in the likely vent of a fire. www.massif.com check them out, they're the manufacturers of the Army Combat Shirt.

you are incorrect sir... that's why it's approve for flight, it WON'T melt to your skin in the likely vent of a fire. www.massif.com check them out, they're the manufacturers of the Army Combat Shirt.

Yeah, Crye has a new top that is made from a nomex material. I didn't get that old one because it was like that under armor shit. It will melt right to your skin, but the new ACU one and Crye one will not.

Yeah, Crye has a new top that is made from a nomex material. I didn't get that old one because it was like that under armor shit. It will melt right to your skin, but the new ACU one and Crye one will not.

Thanks for the heads-up - the only fireproof stuff I knew about was hot as hell to wear in the desert.

Ok guys here is one for you. I pretty much know what you are going to say and I am sure I agree. I would like to know why the Army went to the ACU instead of the MARPAT or the MULTICAM pattern. I know the MULTICAM patter works well in several different environments. I have used it in the sand box and plan on using them again. I would love to see a study that compares them side by side in several environments.

Oh and BTW, who was the General that bought off on the ACUs?

Well, we got ours. The only thing I have seen ACUs blend in with was gravel. If we ever go to war on the Moon, we will be in good shape, or if we have to fight in a ash field post Volcano.

The Army is now going to issue Multicam to troops deploying to A'stan which is a great start, hopefully it'll become general issue soon.

Oh wait, thats right I am going to the private side and then I can wear what ever the hell I want..... Me thinky I will wear a brown raider suit and my Cav hat! }:-)

Not true....Contracting is getting gayer by the second. I've had just about all I can take. I'm thinking about taking up a job as a night janitor at technical school. Maybe someone will notice me and see how smart I am.

Not true....Contracting is getting gayer by the second.

Yep.

I know of one contract where guys are paying roughly 50% in taxes, 20% of which goes to the Afghan gov't.

And considering the US can't fight a war without us, they are hell bent in crapping on us whenever they can.

Back