ADM McRaven Told To "Get The Hell Out Of The Media"

Modern war is waged at many levels, as many of you probably know much better than I do. Missions like the one that eliminated OBL or others that free hostages should get a lot of publicity. Provided that no sensitive TTPs are disclosed.

Naming units that are supposed to be secret is controversial, but I would say it is more or less something that has been happening for decades in the USA.

For example, how can a military “officially deny” the existence of a unit, if certain members are permitted to display being part of the unit, openly in their official military bio?

It becomes a bit absurd.

I must say that military personnel in other countries sometimes wonder about the extent of “openness” in the US Armed Forces in general, but we all must admit that having an open Democratic society in the information age, has some drawbacks.

Exploitation of a high profile success by politicians, is almost always one of them.

IMHO, General Vaught comments to McRaven, about the probability of getting choppers shot down and SEALs killed, in future ops, may have merit only if a) there were sensitive TTPs disclosed and b) it was USSOCOMs fault that they leaked.

Or maybe he was speaking to the bride so… the mother-in-law will hear!

At any rate it would surprise me if leaking that it was such and such Tier-1 unit, has any real effect on the threat level for that unit. I am sure they have always been high value targets for US enemies.

On the other hand, I will agree with Lindy that spotlight brings dollars. These days, withIRAQ and gradually STAN winding down and the apparent new focus in SFA, FID and "working with partners" I would not be surprised if some folks fear that there might be a cut back in their budget/personel.

For example, how can a military “officially deny” the existence of a unit, if certain members are permitted to display being part of the unit, openly in their official military bio?

What "secret units" are people placing in their official bios? I can't think of any.

It does seem that the President draws more attention to these guys than anybody else. .

Because he think's he's cool by association. It's all about him.

Here's all we need to know. "And in other news, today the US Military killed a top taliban (or whomever) piece of shit etc etc" and that is all. No one really needs to know what unit did what.

The easy example for what I was reffering to as "officialy denied", is SFOD-D
As soon as Beckwith released his book, that secret was out. If former Delta guys want to talk about their hero days, that's cool with me. But I think recent operations and current members should be a guarded secret and they are as far as I know. Other SOF units have done a few high profile things that have hit the news and the average person doesn't know it was them. Why are things so different for ST6? I think this is what confuses many in the community.

While I agree with the overall sentiment of what the Gen said, I would point out there was plenty known about his the mission he commanded called Operations Eagle Claw. There was plenty known about who participated and how it was conducted. Not to mention countless other incidents over the last three decades. Remember the Recon Marines and SEALS coming ashore in Somalia at night with cameras with the flood lights in there face.

Obviously I wasn't there at the meeting, but the way the incident was portrayed, the general came across as a bit of a dick. If he had strong feelings about something like this, I'm pretty sure that given his background, the commander of SOCOM would be willing to give him some one-on-one time where they could talk about it in private. "Hey, you need to get the hell out of the media, but let me tell you that in a way that will ensure that this gets splashed across every major periodical in the US." :hmm: At least McRaven was classy enough not to remind the general that the failure of "his" people was what prompted the creation of "McRaven's" people.

I heard he said all kind of absurd shit. This just made the major periodicals because it's something everybody has been wondering even if the guy that said it is hypocritical or a loon.

As soon as Beckwith released his book, that secret was out. If former Delta guys want to talk about their hero days, that's cool with me. But I think recent operations and current members should be a guarded secret and they are as far as I know. Other SOF units have done a few high profile things that have hit the news and the average person doesn't know it was them. Why are things so different for ST6? I think this is what confuses many in the community.

maybe somebody should tell them to stop doing Best Ranger if they don't want their names out there.

If people think that Al-Qaeda and associates can't tell where the guy listed as "USASOC HQ" with his SF and Ranger tab is from then they need to un-naive themselves.

Obviously I wasn't there at the meeting, but the way the incident was portrayed, the general came across as a bit of a dick. If he had strong feelings about something like this, I'm pretty sure that given his background, the commander of SOCOM would be willing to give him some one-on-one time where they could talk about it in private. "Hey, you need to get the hell out of the media, but let me tell you that in a way that will ensure that this gets splashed across every major periodical in the US." :hmm: At least McRaven was classy enough not to remind the general that the failure of "his" people was what prompted the creation of "McRaven's" people.
Interesting point. What's the general opinion on Adm. McRaven as the SOCOM head?

I would agree that stating who conducted what mission is uncalled for when it comes to those units. At most if the government wants to throw a little public appreciation their way they can simply say a SEAL team or Army Special Operations.

Obviously it's no secret these unit exist, anybody with a computer can get a pretty good amount of info from OSINT; however, the amount of information they released on the OBL hit was ridiculous. They damn near released the AAR complete with 5 W's, flight paths, satellite imagery, photos, and in at least in one news report I heard they were knocking on the door of some stuff that is literally classified TS SCI.

As I've said before the public dosen't need to know who or how, and in most cases why. It dosen't provide them with anything they need to know, and at best just gives them something to bitch about. They have representatives that they elected that give permission for all these wonderful things to happen. To paraphrase old Jack Nicholson "I refuse to sit here and be questioned by a person who rises and falls under the very blanket of security I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it"

Back